• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Your thoughts on Hookworm therapy?

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
What are your thoughts on the possibilty of this working for us please?

http://www.helminthictherapy.com/Providers.html

I've done extensive reading on REMOVAL of parasites from the human body. But to introduce them willingly?

The benefits of helminths to the body is severely under-researched (as many things are) so I am doubtful anyone will be able to answer this conclusively.

Calathea

And then they said you need to be on it for the rest of your life.

Last edited:

Hip

There are a few threads on helminth therapy already:
Starting helminthic therapy for CFS, log
Hookworms: Our Friends?
New gut ecosystem model?

ME/CFS is a disease where the Th1 (antiviral) response is weak, but the Th2 response is ramped up. To treat ME/CFS, you really need to boost Th1, and reduce Th2.

However, helminth therapy does the opposite: reduces Th1, and boosts Th2. See here:
In the past, helminths were thought to simply suppress Th1 cells while inducing Th2 cells. Rook points out that this hypothesis would only explain the regulatory effects of parasitic worms on autoimmune diseases caused by Th1 cells. However, helminths also regulate Th2-caused diseases, such as allergy and asthma. Professor Rook postulates that different parasitic worms suppress different Th types, but always in favor of regulatory T (Treg) cells.

Source: here.

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help ME/CFS but is potentially helpful for autoimmune diseases. I would absolutely only go for a clinical trial and not get black market worms. These are parasites and infecting yourself could be incredibly dangerous if not part of a controlled study.