• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Your experience(s) with mold avoidance?

Davsey27

Just curious what your experiences may have been doing mold avoidance/sabbatical

Moderate mold avoidance-moving from a bad house to a house that measured low

Extreme-tent camping,car camping,in more pristine air.Erik Johnson style avoidance

Did it improve your ME symptoms

Thank You

lenora

Gosh @Davsey27,

That's a tough question. So many of us (me included) were exposed to these things earlier in life (I'm 75) and the many years result in so many more exposures to things that we had best avoid.

Allergies are common and in my case, they've only become worse with the passing of years. I have two air purifiers....one of the original larger models with a HEPA filter, and a newer much smaller version, also equipped with a HEPA filter (our bedroom) and the price is now about $100, much less than the original. It has helped considerably, but I'm always allergic to something or other.

It doesn't help that we have a well-ventilated back porch that exposes us to nature. No, we don't want to enclose it as it wouldn't be the same. Nothing really works for me and does contribute to that "sick" feeling.

The desert: Julie Rehmeyer wrote "Through the Shadowlands" ( a book about living in an RV and in the desert. Very interesting. As I recall she left the desert and returned to her RV. Very downscaled b/c of her multiple allergies. You may want to buy that book and read her story.

I know that Cort Johnson (the original founder of this site, but has now started another - Health Rising.com lives in the desert and moves from area to area. I can't/don't expect my husband to move there at age 78, and we do need plenty of medical care....so being near good medical facilities is important to us. You wouldn't have that availability in the desert.

My house is very clean....air ducts are immaculate and we do what we can to make the environment we're in as good as possible. Still, here I am coughing away as I write. It's tiresome and none of my doctors has an answer (and I really don't expect them to. You can only be helped with so much). I have multiple health factors going on, some of which are very common to my age group. I tried natural means first, combined with knowledgeable doctors and holistic therapies. Good nutrition is essential.

I was at the beginnig of the AIDS epidemic, when MS was still thought to be in "one's head," but during that time it became an accepted disease. I fully expected the research to be filtered down to us....but it never was. This was a major setback and we weren't taken seriously for many, many years. There was no information available, no internet....even the NIH had nothing on my other neurlogical illnesses. (Nothing can be called a disease until the medical establishment deems it to be so, proof has to exist and this includes scientific Thus, we're a collection of symptoms and go under the heading of a Syndrome).

This all gets very confusing, very fast....I would suggest that you learn as much as possible. I don't believe it will be proven to be just one thing, the years have taught me that much, if nothing else. We're all affected by so many symptoms in so many ways. Begin your journey, and I wish you luck. Research is probably 200% of what it used to be. But the causes are mutliple and have to be studied. Yours, Lenora.

Wishful

My cabin develops mold in winter. That doesn't affect my ME. Neither did living in a low-mold environment. It all depends on whether you have a mold sensitivity and how severe it might be. If you're not sensitive, a sterile environment won't help.

lenora

Hi @Wishful.....Who knows how many of us are affected by things we aren't even aware of a certain time?

Thank goodness that mold isn't one of your problems. Believe it or not, there was a time in my life when I had allergies to nothing (well, cigarette smoke when everyone smoked).

Living in the desert is taking extreme measures to avoid things like allergies and molds, but many people have.
I wish all of them well. Yours, Lenora.

Wishful

Who knows how many of us are affected by things we aren't even aware of a certain time?

Well, if mold season comes and goes and your symptoms don't correlate with that, then that's reasonable evidence that it's not having a noticeable effect. Non-immediate effects are possible, but you'd drive yourself crazy worrying about whether mold or red food colouring might cause problems years later. It's also possible that various things could have non-immediate benefits that you aren't aware of beforehand. Maybe mold exposure reduces the risk of Alzheimer's disease 30 years later.

To me it seems that a reasonable test of mold sensitivity is to experience a moldy and a non-moldy environment and see whether one's symptoms severity correlates. You could improve this by double-blinding, and repetition and complex statistical analysis. I'm convinced that mold doesn't affect my ME. I've even 'scratched and sniffed' mildew as a more extreme test ... with no response.

If one's ME doesn't typically crash for long periods, sniffing some mildew seems like a reasonable test. If one's ME has been a series of lengthy crashes, then living in a desert seems like a safer test. :)

lenora

The odd thing about not having something bother you for a few days, is that you aren't aware of it enough to say, "Aha, this, that or the other caused it." At least I'm not.....I'll notice things after the fact, but exactly when they begin to not be a problem?

So my l. eye is throbbing now....well at least that's a reversal of the pain beginning in the back of my head. One could go a little crazy....and apart from tests, most doctors really can't help us or at least help tolerate what the problem is. I find most things disappear on their own....or just move around. Anyway, I wish all of you well in whatever manner it may occur. Yours, Lenora

Last edited by a moderator:

Wishful

I'll notice things after the fact, but exactly when they begin to not be a problem?

So true. It's hard to notice what isn't there. Cumin was probably an effective PEM blocker for me for 10+ years, but whenever I tried it, or just had it in food, I wasn't doing something that I expected bad PEM from, so I never noticed any effect. It was only when I took some intentionally and did some strenuous physical exertion that I expected to trigger PEM that would wreck the following day that I noticed that the expected PEM didn't show up.

What other treatments might I have missed by not noticing a symptom not showing up?