• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yet more potential in viruses from poo

antares4141

Well this is interesting. Everyone is focused on the bacteria in our guts when maybe we should be more focused on the viruses.

Reality is these types of studies are so tediously complex and time consuming probably if there is ever anything beneficial to come from this type of research it's not going to be for another decade or two, maybe longer. At least for CFS.

Now if we could find one specific pathogen in our guts and correlate it with cfs.

You don't need a study to do this. Just gather and collate information and look for patterns.

Once you identify a pattern with CFS and some specific pathogen, not in the general population, try removing it and see what happens.

Of course this isn't a novel idea. I just don't see how it's possible nobody can seem to find anything.

I'm almost to the point where I want to get a microscope and try my hand at it myself.

Problem is I have no energy and too many other priorities so I'll just keep dreaming.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/...PUxjPqgb6n7NaZr4C8A4GSPtCRKX3vDiX_wSYagLWQPjo

Wolfcub

I'm almost to the point where I want to get a microscope and try my hand at it myself.
I know. A microscope would be a fascinating tool to have! I would like one very much; have wanted one since about 1980.
But have you seen the price of an electron microscope ? :eek::jaw-drop::(

antares4141

I know. A microscope would be a fascinating tool to have! I would like one very much; have wanted one since about 1980.
But have you seen the price of an electron microscope ? :eek::jaw-drop::(
I never even thought of having an electron microscope. That would definitely be very cool! First you would have to figure out how to use it then you would have to figure out what to look for and how to go about that.

I have this horrible feeling this is the only way we are going to be able to ever have a diagnosis. And it won't be in my lifetime.

Wishful

Problem is I have no energy and too many other priorities so I'll just keep dreaming.

A good definition of ME. :xpem:

I'd like to build a recumbent bike, since my bike riding is limited by saddle tolerance. I can do the hacksawing okay, but the decision-making, such as "Should I angle the seat this way and put the bracket below, or angle it the other way and put the bracket above?" is amazingly difficult for my ME brain. I find it easier to shovel a few wheelbarrow loads of soil, since that's mindless. Trying to figure out biology papers and logically connect some facts is daunting. :(

I think a DNA (or RNA?) scanner would be more useful for determining the viruses present in an ME patient. Viruses might look similar, but produce different proteins or RNA fragments that might trigger us into the ME state.

antares4141

I never heard of an rna scanner. Sounds like that is what we need. I am leaning towards a virus but than sometimes I wonder if we are not sensitive to everything for no apparent reason at all.

I have been getting these soars on my tongue and the insides of my cheeks for years. I thought mercury fillings? My teeth have rough edges? That's what it feels like mechanical injury that is aggravated by the inflammation which makes a vicious circle. Same thing happens with a new pair of shoes. They rub your ankle, the ankle gets a blister, the blister get's even more sensitized to the rubbing. Vicious circle.

Than one day I discovered I had plaque on the backs of the very back row of muller's. I haven't had my teeth cleaned in years. I always do it my self with a dental pick. Sometimes I use a serrated steak knife. They work really well also.

Well all these years I have been doing it I didn't realize I was missing the backs of the back row of teeth. I can tell cause the plaque turns to tarter and that is a hard crusty substance. And I am pretty obsessive compulsive about things like this. So it's all gone now. And the soars are also.

They were so bad that many times I would take little sections of sandwich baggies and drape them over my muller so it wouldn't rub up against my tongue. The inflammation would go away I would quit doing it and it would come back. So I am as sure as one can be the contact with the teeth was what caused it.

But now that the plaque is gone I haven't had to do the thing with the little pieces of sandwich bags as much to prevent the soars.

I am wondering if the inflammation wasn't caused by the bacteria in the tarter or plaque. Maybe the plaque was simply rough and now that it is gone I am not doing any mechanical damage to my tongue?

But my thinking if the plaque had anything to do with it could this not be a clinical sign for CFS?

An over reaction to the bacteria, happens with mold, chemicals, food, doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me bacteria also.

Wishful

I am leaning towards a virus but than sometimes I wonder if we are not sensitive to everything for no apparent reason at all.

I support the latter possibility. I think our immune systems are off-balance in some ways, so we do react to things that healthy people wouldn't. For me, viral infections and muscle-straining activities had what seemed to be identical effects on my ME symptoms. Both factors would activate t-cells. Other people react to other immune system triggers (allergies, etc). Viral infections are just one trigger among many.

antares4141

I support the latter possibility. I think our immune systems are off-balance in some ways, so we do react to things that healthy people wouldn't. For me, viral infections and muscle-straining activities had what seemed to be identical effects on my ME symptoms. Both factors would activate t-cells. Other people react to other immune system triggers (allergies, etc). Viral infections are just one trigger among many.

I get soars in the roof of my mouth sometimes for no apparent reason. And migrating syatica type pain that moves from the scalp, to the ears, eyes, throat. Maybe twice a year. Just went through it a couple of weeks ago. Started with very debilitating what I call "myalgia headaches" cause they are not typical at all and seem to go down into my neck also. And there is associated flu like malaise. Then the migrating sciatica like pain. Very wierd. Most debilitating is the fatigue. I suspect this is driven by some type of virus.

To make things worse I just got shingles on my chin and it triggered a pretty bad case of tinnitus. I have ringing all the time now. I just tune it out. Really all I can do. I would recommend to anyone in their 50's (I'm 60) and higher to get the shingles vaccine! Wish I did.

Apparently there is a condition thought to be from shingles "Ramsay Hunt syndrome". I suspect I have it. Unbelievably my primary care physition suggested it might be horse flies even though I showed him pictures when it was at it's hight. It lasted a couple of months before the pock like thingies completly went away. Wasn't painful like many say they experience.

The "brain sciatica" I call it is a hallmark symptom I have had for the last 23 years since the start of my CFS.

I can't help wondering if people with seizures who get them around the same age they are prone to shingles didn't get an internal shingles flare that damaged brain tissue but because there were no external signs never associated the two.