• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yeast!!!

Rockt

Has anyone ever recovered, or at least improved significantly, from eliminating yeast overgrowth alone? If so, HOW!!??

Most of the "yeast sites" I've looked at make it seem like yesat is THE problem and eliminating it is relatively easy. I'm LOADED with yeast, (foamy urine, fuzzy head, dry skin, sinusitus, etc., etc. and my live blood shows lots of yeast), and I'm not having much success reducing it, despite eliminating all yeast causing foods, taking probiotics, Diflucan, (3 courses), etc.

Was on antibiotics pretty much all through high school, and now 20+ years later just finished a year on them for a supposed Mycoplasma infection, (that I showed anitbodies for, but have since tested negative with PCR). So yeah, loaded with yeast and would like to not be.

So... are there any really successful ways to tackle yeast? I'm disciplined and willing to adhere to a strict regimin because at least I have something to go after - I have yeast. I don't know if it's the root of my problems, but it makes sense to get rid of it and see.

Any advice/input is GREATLY appreciated.

What helped us with yeast, I think:

- Low carb low sugar low starch diet
- Trying to increase body pH (decrease acidity) with diet, eating lots of vegetables, olive oil. Kombucha helps (fermented tea available at Whole Foods).
- Repeat course of antifungals, maybe alternate diflucan with something else, e.g. ketoconazole
- Use antifungals herbs to cook and as supplements, e.g. origano, garlic
- For obvious fungal skin lesions, e.g. on feet, I found Tineacide, a foot cream available over the counter, was very effective

Rockt

Thanks Karin.

No obvious fungal skin stuff, surprisingly.

Worried about continued use of prescription antifungals - Diflucan is reportedly quite hard on the liver.

Anyone heard of the SanPharma protocol recommended by a Dr. Ron Kennedy, Santa Rosa, Ca?:

http://www.medical-library.net/yeast-syndrome-short.html

Seems quite convincing, but then they always do.

sela

have you seen bee's candida forum? she has a yeast program and many people write in about how much better they are from doing her protocol. this forum got me onto the paleo diet and i feel much better on it. i am convinced that low carb is essential. bee herself is pretty unscientific and a bit crabby, but what she has going for herself are thousands of people going through the prototcol and writing her about the results. that means something anyway. i do believe my yeast is better, my itchy places are gone and my hypocglycemia got better right away and keeps improving.

Rockt

Thanks Sela.

I googled Bee's and got some info. but no links to her forum. Could someone please direct me.

Thanks.

Rockt

Sorry, I was on Bee's site, but didn't realize it - Duh!

Anyway, it's pretty complex for this tired old brain to process. Any advice on where to start, what would be the best first steps, etc., so that I can start and continue processing all this info. I've completely eliminated sugar for about a year now. I do eat some of the veggies on the bad list, like squash, beets, parsnips - I thought they were good. And the grains like millet, quinoa, brown rice.

bakercape

I got

some relief from taking grape fruit seed extract pills. One time 3 weeks if Diflucan helped me also. I tested for high antibodies for yeast in blood. The only problem was the fungal infection was not my whole problem but only a symptomofagreater problem and the symtoms and infection allways came back no matter what I DID. The relief both times was only temporary.
Good luck and good health:Retro smile:

Rockt

Bakercape, have you found relief or cure from your other problem(s)? Was yeast a byproduct of porr immune system? What else has worked for you?

Athene

ihateticks.me
I've had yeast for about 26 years and tried the sugar free diet (helped in the beginning but now I need something stronger). I've tried herbal approaches like enteric coated peppermint oil and oregano (slight improvement but very slow to work and not exactly impressive), tons of probiotics (they fight each other inside and produce nasty symptoms) and almost every type of prescription antifungal including diflucan, inserted into almost every orifice in my body.

A very good lab analysed the type of candida albicans I have and established that I have evolved my own personal strain which is a variant of the usual one and therefore is very resistant to prescription antifungals. The doctor said this is because I have had the infection for so long. I would have thought anyone who has been infected for a long time could be in this position.

I am about to embark up on a long course of nystatin, hoping to work on the growth in my intestine which I think is the source of the worst symptoms. I hope if I can reduce it there I will not get outbreaks in my throat etc. I'll let you know how I get on, though I do know it takes a long time.

Rockt

A lot of the reading I've been doing, (as much as I can anyways), seems to suggest that you can't really kill it with antifungals or probiotics. They suggest that you have to stop feeding it and then really strengthen the immune system to cmbat it on its own. Easier said than done, but makes sense. That is where this SanPharma protocol comes in, but i can't find much on it.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
May have already been recommended, but substituting Nystatin in place of Diflucan. I believe stays in the intestinal area working and is not digested like Diflucan eventually is. Probably not a very big difference, but could be enough of one in your case.

Rockt

Talked to the doc yesterday and he thought we might try Ketoconazole in about 6 weeks, (he doesn't like to bombard the body with medications and likes you to take a rest from one before starting another - sounds reasonable to me). Anyone heard about the succes or failure of this drug?

Rockt

Embarrassing!!

Was reading Bee's sight and um... she seems pretty high on the um... Coffee Enema. Dare I ask, anyone know if this is a good idea or not?