• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yeast?

dmholmes

Hi guys, I'm looking for thoughts on whether or not yeast is an issue for me. I'm gonna outline my recent history:

May 2011
Started 300 mcg of Biotin and had complete remission of fatigue symptoms for a week. Fatigue returned.

Sep 2012
Food poisoning at sushi restaurant. Stool test following week showed Salmonella and also yeast +4 on the Metametrix test. Followed with Lauricidin, Yeastonil, and later on SF722. No real benefits from antifungals.

Jan 2013
Started Super Thisilyn, methylfolate, and vitamin C. Previously taken the 2 latter with no impact. Had a few months of fatigue symptom remission with some relapse days mixed in. Fatigue returned.

Nov 2013
Chronic constipation relieved by VSL#3 and Prescript-Assist. Added potato starch shortly afterwards. After over 2 months of relief, chronic constipation returned in Jan 2014. Stool test during same period showed Campylobacter infection, no yeast.

Apr 2014
Stool test from Parasitolgy Centers shows no parasites but Candida sp. (dividing) shows a 1 reading. I did a round of Azithromycin in the hopes of clearing up Campylobacter or whatever was presumably causing gastro issues.

Apr/May 2014
After Azithromycin I started having chronic bloating. Worse when laying down and night, and caused heart palpitations. Doc prescribed Rifaximin to see if it would help with constipation and IBS-type symptoms. It didn't have any noticeable effect. Lived on Gas-X, activated charcoal, Pepto, etc... just to try and sleep during this period.

May 2014
I started S. Boulardii (Florastor) and after 2 days had remission of fatigue. Bloating and palpitation issues continued. Took Caprylic acid and bloating issue stopped after first dose. It also made me very sleepy for a bit. I only took a couple of doses and bloating has not returned.

2 weeks of S. Boulardii and fatigue is still in remission. For me fatigue manifests as excessive and unrefreshing nighttime sleep, physical weakness during day, napping, and brain fog.

I have a lot more details but I believe these are the most relevant bits. I know there are some members who have had success treating Candida overgrowth, @Gestalt and @Ripley that I know of. Any others? Any thoughts?

Gestalt

For me fatigue manifests as excessive and unrefreshing nighttime sleep, physical weakness during day, napping, and brain fog.

Ditto on the symptoms. Except I have managed to eliminate the brain fog initially with yucca, and now 4tbsp of RS a day.

Do you still take RS? How much? Have you tried larch?

In the terms of the sleep I had some recent thoughts on the matter here.

I tried my first 3 cups of chaga yesterday, and had a much better sleep and have more energy today. @Ripley had good results with it, and seemingly what works for him works for me as well. To early to tell for me definitively yet though. Gonna have to try for a few weeks before I know for-sure.

In terms of the bloating consuming fiber has always been a major issue for me. I don't know what you eat but for me, salads especially spinach will cause me a lot of bloating so i completely avoid fiber-ish foods now.

Carbonated drinks, even beer caused insane bloating for me as well in the past, however since having been on the RS for over 3 months, I can drink beer again without any real issues. RS is strange...first 1.5 months, lots of gas...but no painful bloating. Last 1.5 months barely any gas, or bloating. I also have basically stopped all probiotics which really seems to help reduce gas.

dmholmes

Ditto on the symptoms. Except I have managed to eliminate the brain fog initially with yucca, and now 4tbsp of RS a day.

Do you still take RS? How much? Have you tried larch?

No I stopped the RS in February shortly after the constipation returned.

After over 2 weeks of complete remission on the S. Boulardii I'm having a relapse. Not sure what else to try at the moment.

Gestalt

After over 2 weeks of complete remission on the S. Boulardii I'm having a relapse. Not sure what else to try at the moment.

Are you talking a stool constipation, or a urine constipation?

Also remission of what? Constipation, fatigue, both? I am not clear on what you mean.

dmholmes

Are you talking a stool constipation, or a urine constipation?

Stool.

Also remission of what? Constipation, fatigue, both? I am not clear on what you mean.

Remission of fatigue. My days are pretty much 2 types:
  • 10 hours unrefreshing sleep, long time to get up, weak/fatigued during day, napping likely
  • 8 hours refreshing sleep, up quickly, no fatigue during day, no nap
During remission I have the latter.

Gestalt

RS does add bulk and tends to firm up stool a bit. If it's causing constipation lay off it a while and try to re-balance the gut using other strategies. RS is fermented at the beginning of the large intestine in the cecum. This is where stool formation begins. My guess is you have some undesirable combination of bugs there and along the large intestine.

Instead of RS I would try GOS from Bimuno. Take some B Infantis along with it. If you take enough your stool will have that acidic pungent smell that infants stool has. I know it happened to me.

I'm thinking the acidity might soften your stool up and prevent the constipation. Infants usually have fairly soft stool, so my guess is the GOS (which emulates breast milk) is fermented closer to the rectum. This way we can avoid/compensate for issues you may have in your cecum area if RS exacerbates the constipation issue as you say.

GOS should also indirectly help create butyrate which will help motility wise by providing energy to the large intestinal cells. I don't know if your constipation is due to hard stool or lack of energy in your intestinal cell muscles for motility purposes, or both?

Also it's obvious you have fungal issues so the recent strats on my Candida thread may help by balancing the small intestine. S. Boulardii stops working if alkalinity increases.

dmholmes

RS does add bulk and tends to firm up stool a bit. If it's causing constipation lay off it a while and try to re-balance the gut using other strategies. RS is fermented at the beginning of the large intestine in the cecum. This is where stool formation begins.

I haven't taken any RS since February. I do have a recurring IBS-like pain in the ileo-cecal valve/cecum area.

My guess is you have some undesirable combination of bugs there and along the large intestine.

One for sure, Campylobacter showed up on a stool test from December

Instead of RS I would try GOS from Bimuno. Take some B Infantis along with it. If you take enough your stool will have that acidic pungent smell that infants stool has. I know it happened to me.

I'm thinking the acidity might soften your stool up and prevent the constipation. Infants usually have fairly soft stool, so my guess is the GOS (which emulates breast milk) is fermented closer to the rectum. This way we can avoid/compensate for issues you may have in your cecum area if RS exacerbates the constipation issue as you say.

I do have some Go Live probiotic, contains Galactooligosaccharides. Any good?

GOS should also indirectly help create butyrate which will help motility wise by providing energy to the large intestinal cells. I don't know if your constipation is due to hard stool or lack of energy in your intestinal cell muscles for motility purposes, or both?

Maybe both? But I can't explain the 2+ month constipation remission after starting VSL#3 (and maybe Prescript-Assist). The stool pH from that same period was 5.7, acidic below range.

Also it's obvious you have fungal issues so the recent strats on my Candida thread may help by balancing the small intestine. S. Boulardii stops working if alkalinity increases.

I'm trying several members of the Lactobacillus family without Bifidobacterium to see if that works. L. Reuteri (has FOS too), L. Acidophilus, and L. Plantarum. I'm also taking B. Coagulans and S. Boulardii (Florastor).

Gestalt

I do have some Go Live probiotic, contains Galactooligosaccharides. Any good?
The product looks cool, but no idea on what the quantity of GOS is.
I'd still try bimuno if I were you.

Maybe both? But I can't explain the 2+ month constipation remission after starting VSL#3 (and maybe Prescript-Assist). The stool pH from that same period was 5.7, acidic below range.

What do you mean you can't explain the remission!? That one of the most potent combinations of pre and pro biotics I know of. This alone let's you know you are on the right track.

The fact this combo including RS helped you the most is pretty telling. VSL#3 is one of few probiotic formulas that contains B.Infantis. And the test result seems to confirm my idea that greater acidity in stool is better for alleviating constipation.

Personally I had uncomfortable bloating/gas type reactions to L.Plantarum and B.Coagulans. So I stopped them.

dmholmes

What do you mean you can't explain the remission!? That one of the most potent combinations of pre and pro biotics I know of. This alone let's you know you are on the right track.

;) Perhaps I should say I don't understand why the VSL#3 and Prescript-Assist stopped working.

Personally I had uncomfortable bloating/gas type reactions to L.Plantarum and B.Coagulans. So I stopped them.

Thanks for the heads up, I don't want that coming back. Just barely seems to be under control after the antibiotic.

Gestalt

;) Perhaps I should say I don't understand why the VSL#3 and Prescript-Assist stopped working.

The gut biome is a dynamic system. Microbes are dynamic creatures that adapt. I had the two best weeks of my life with Candex, and then candida came back full swing.

My theory is that killed-dead fungi make an excellent prebiotic for the good guys and that itself may confer more benefits than the actual death of said fungi. But once you have killed nearly all the fungi and the large prebiotic flow from the bad guys deaths has stopped so do the health benefits.

What happens after that I'm not sure. Perhaps the fungi adapt, and become immune to the initial threat. Perhaps another different invasive species or strain takes over due to the lack of competition. Then new strategies need to be adopted. I'm gonna try megadoses of acidophilus next and see if I can find a good prebiotic for them.

VSL#3 and Prescript-Assist and especially RS impact the colon more so than the SI. I think we need to shift gears and focus on the SI.

dmholmes

VSL#3 and Prescript-Assist and especially RS impact the colon more so than the SI. I think we need to shift gears and focus on the SI.

Agreed, that's why I was trying to leave out the Bifidobacteria. I've got some Country Life Acidophilus capsules and American Health Acidophilus liquid. What would you consider a megadose?

On the Bimuno, looks tough to get here in a timely fashion. I see Banatrol which contains Bimuno, any good?

Gestalt

I don't know what the ideal quantity of Acidophilus would be....I'm just gonna try more than recommended on the label and see what happens, lol.

Yea, the banatrol has almost identical quantity of GOS to the bimuno and should be just as good. I think your constipation issue is primarily a colon issue, so I would still stick with the bifido there. The fatigue I think is more an SI issue. In your case I would try to work on both.

Hi guys, I'm looking for thoughts on whether or not yeast is an issue for me. I'm gonna outline my recent history:
@Gestalt and @Ripley that I know of. Any others? Any thoughts?
Hi! Have you had success trying to get your gut back into homeostasis?
Have you been taking anti microbial herbs? Done parasites cleanse?
I am also thinking my gut is playing a huge role in my CFS. I am starting a comprehensive detox protocole (Microbe Formulas). It is going to clean my gut from toxins, parasites and other undesirable stuff :)

May 2011
Started 300 mcg of Biotin and had complete remission of fatigue symptoms for a week. Fatigue returned.

Sep 2012
Food poisoning at sushi restaurant. Stool test following week showed Salmonella and also yeast +4 on the Metametrix test. Followed with Lauricidin, Yeastonil, and later on SF722. No real benefits from antifungals.

Jan 2013
Started Super Thisilyn, methylfolate, and vitamin C. Previously taken the 2 latter with no impact. Had a few months of fatigue symptom remission with some relapse days mixed in. Fatigue returned.

Nov 2013
Chronic constipation relieved by VSL#3 and Prescript-Assist. Added potato starch shortly afterwards. After over 2 months of relief, chronic constipation returned in Jan 2014. Stool test during same period showed Campylobacter infection, no yeast.

Apr 2014
Stool test from Parasitolgy Centers shows no parasites but Candida sp. (dividing) shows a 1 reading. I did a round of Azithromycin in the hopes of clearing up Campylobacter or whatever was presumably causing gastro issues.

Apr/May 2014
After Azithromycin I started having chronic bloating. Worse when laying down and night, and caused heart palpitations. Doc prescribed Rifaximin to see if it would help with constipation and IBS-type symptoms. It didn't have any noticeable effect. Lived on Gas-X, activated charcoal, Pepto, etc... just to try and sleep during this period.

May 2014
I started S. Boulardii (Florastor) and after 2 days had remission of fatigue. Bloating and palpitation issues continued. Took Caprylic acid and bloating issue stopped after first dose. It also made me very sleepy for a bit. I only took a couple of doses and bloating has not returned.

2 weeks of S. Boulardii and fatigue is still in remission. For me fatigue manifests as excessive and unrefreshing nighttime sleep, physical weakness during day, napping, and brain fog.

I have a lot more details but I believe these are the most relevant bits. I know there are some members who have had success treating Candida overgrowth, @Gestalt and @Ripley that I know of. Any others? Any thoughts?

You write that you took a metametrix test, but I saw on the their website they have lots of tests. I found it really useful when I suspected candida to get quest or labcorp testing for candida antibodies and antigen.

Last edited by a moderator: