• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Xmrv the puppet master and the master switch>

How about correlation with people that either lose weight and those that gain weight during the course of the disease? I mean if the switch is off, no energy is produced, fat is stored for later use, if the switch is on but it overdrive, stored fats are being used up and the person loses weight... does that make sense?

I've been sick 24 years and have always been thin until I got sick. My weight gain may be due to the fact I'm in a wheelchair and get very little excercise. It was either use a wheelchair or be bedridden for all these years. My thyroid has been a problem too.

ukxmrv

I heard on one of the broadcasts (and I don't remember which one sorry) about XMRV using Cholesterol to replicate. I then assumed that it was using mine and why my blood reading was exceptionally low.

(also read about the twins on an earlier thread)

Thank you very much Gerwyn and Rosemary for finding all this extra information!

G

Gerwyn

.Its intersting that the origin of this ability appears to be within the gag and pol genes which all retoviruses have.?

Gerwyn do you mind explaining... are you referring to the ability of retroviruses to use lipid rafts rich in cholesterol to gain entry into cells ?

More info here :-

Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) relies on cholesterol-laden lipid raft membrane microdomains for entry into and egress out of susceptible cells.

" Hildreth explained that NPC is likely disrupting HIV transmission by affecting the trafficking of the viral protein Gag. "The very dramatic thing in NPC cells is the Gag protein seems to never make it to the plasma membrane."

Recently, James Hildreth at the Meharry Medical College School of Medicine in Nashville, Tenn., and his colleagues found that cells affected by Niemann-Pick Type C (NPC), which disrupts cholesterol trafficking, were unable to release HIV, suggesting these cells would not spread the virus.

These findings, published May 27 in the Journal of Virology, are rooted in a hypothesis Hildreth has explored for a long time: that "cholesterol is somehow essential" to HIV, he said. For instance, HIV-1 relies on specialized structures known as lipid rafts, which are rich in cholesterol, to infect new cells.

I,m referring to the ability of retroviruses to use base sequences within these genes in the formation of these rafts and their ability to "sail" between membranes of organelles before integrating with the DNA of the host making exposure to the cytoplasm absolutely minimal.The rafts can be intracellular or intercellular.In cell cell they transfer via fusion with the cell membranes and the membranes of the internal organelles such as rough and smooth endoplasmic reticulem golgi apparatus etc .A real stealth bomber

usedtobeperkytina

Always been on the thin side. Had some teenage plumpness which I progressively started losing after marriage at 18. Don't know if it is marriage responsibilities or body maturity that started my weight loss, or abnormalities that later became CFS.

After diagnosis, I started FFC treatment and lost down to 93 pounds. I am 5'4".

I am back up to 98 now. But I did get concerned there for a while. What what point is my weight loss a problem? Doctor told me to drink Boost three times a day. I did once or twice. That stuff is expensive.

While I was losing weight, I was feeling better.

Now, I am not on the strong FFC treatment. I don't know what it was they were giving me. Of course, it could also have been the disease that caused the weight loss. I will never know.

Tina

Rosemary

I,m referring to the ability of retroviruses to use base sequences within these genes in the formation of these rafts and their ability to "sail" between membranes of organelles before integrating with the DNA of the host making exposure to the cytoplasm absolutely minimal.The rafts can be intracellular or intercellular.In cell cell they transfer via fusion with the cell membranes and the membranes of the internal organelles such as rough and smooth endoplasmic reticulem golgi apparatus etc .A real stealth bomber

Hi Gerwyn, I am trying to learn as much as possible about how retroviruses associate with lipid rafts so therefore your explanation was very helpful..thank you !

Could the XMRV Env protein also associate with lipid rafts by being palmitoylated ?

eg " These results indicate that the MuLV Env protein is associated with lipid rafts and that palmitoylation of the Env protein is critical for lipid raft association."

J Virol. 2002 Dec;76(23):11845-52.

Palmitoylation of the murine leukemia virus envelope protein is critical for lipid raft association and surface expression.
Li M, Yang C, Tong S, Weidmann A, Compans RW.

Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Emory Vaccine Center, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA.

To investigate the association of the murine leukemia virus (MuLV) Env protein with lipid rafts, we compared wild-type and palmitoylation-deficient mutant Env proteins by using extraction with the mild detergent Triton X-100 (TX-100) followed by a sucrose gradient flotation assay. We found that the wild-type MuLV Env protein was resistant to ice-cold TX-100 treatment and floated to the top of the gradients. In contrast, we observed that the palmitoylation-deficient mutant Env protein was mostly soluble when extracted by ice-cold TX-100 and stayed at the bottom of the gradients. Both the wild-type and mutant Env proteins were found to be soluble when treated with methyl-beta-cyclodextrin before extraction with ice-cold TX-100 or when treated with ice-cold octyl-beta-glucoside instead of TX-100. These results indicate that the MuLV Env protein is associated with lipid rafts and that palmitoylation of the Env protein is critical for lipid raft association. Although the palmitoylation-deficient Env mutant was synthesized at a level similar to that of the wild-type Env, it was found to be expressed at reduced levels on the cell surface. We observed syncytium formation activity with both the wild-type and mutant Env proteins, indicating that palmitoylation or raft association is not required for MuLV viral fusion activity.
PMID: 12414927 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995 Oct 10;92(21):9871-5.

Rosemary

Following research by Hildreth...... Beta-cyclodextrin depletes cellular cholesterol and disperse lipid rafts

Lipid rafts and HIV pathogenesis: host membrane cholesterol is required for infection by HIV type 1.

Abstract
In a previous study we showed that budding of HIV-1 particles occurs at highly specialized membrane microdomains known as lipid rafts. These microdomains are characterized by a distinct lipid composition that includes high concentrations of cholesterol, sphingolipids, and glycolipids. Since cholesterol is known to play a key role in the entry of some other viruses, our observation of HIV budding from lipid rafts led us to investigate the role in HIV-1 entry of cholesterol and lipid rafts in the plasma membrane of susceptible cells. We have used 2-OH-propyl-beta-cyclodextrin (beta-cyclodextrin) to deplete cellular cholesterol and disperse lipid rafts. Our results show that removal of cellular cholesterol rendered primary cells and cell lines highly resistant to HIV-1-mediated syncytium formation and to infection by both CXCR4- and CCR5-specific viruses. beta-Cyclodextrin treatment of cells partially reduced HIV-1 binding, while rendering chemokine receptors highly sensitive to antibody-mediated internalization...

Lipid rafts and HIV pathogenesis: virion-associated cholesterol is required for fusion and infection of susceptible cells.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13678470

G

Gerwyn

Hi Gerwyn, I am trying to learn as much as possible about how retroviruses associate with lipid rafts so therefore your explanation was very helpful..thank you !

Could the XMRV Env protein also associate with lipid rafts by being palmitoylated ?

XMRV is a MuLV class virus the env gene has a very similar base sequence.raft formation is controlled by base sequences within the gag and pol genes which are virtually identical in xmrv compared with Mulv apart from a higher degree of deletions downsream of the alternative start codon.As deletions dont code for anything I would say yes.
eg " These results indicate that the MuLV Env protein is associated with lipid rafts and that palmitoylation of the Env protein is critical for lipid raft association."

J Virol. 2002 Dec;76(23):11845-52.

Palmitoylation of the murine leukemia virus envelope protein is critical for lipid raft association and surface expression.
Li M, Yang C, Tong S, Weidmann A, Compans RW.

Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Emory Vaccine Center, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA.

To investigate the association of the murine leukemia virus (MuLV) Env protein with lipid rafts, we compared wild-type and palmitoylation-deficient mutant Env proteins by using extraction with the mild detergent Triton X-100 (TX-100) followed by a sucrose gradient flotation assay. We found that the wild-type MuLV Env protein was resistant to ice-cold TX-100 treatment and floated to the top of the gradients. In contrast, we observed that the palmitoylation-deficient mutant Env protein was mostly soluble when extracted by ice-cold TX-100 and stayed at the bottom of the gradients. Both the wild-type and mutant Env proteins were found to be soluble when treated with methyl-beta-cyclodextrin before extraction with ice-cold TX-100 or when treated with ice-cold octyl-beta-glucoside instead of TX-100. These results indicate that the MuLV Env protein is associated with lipid rafts and that palmitoylation of the Env protein is critical for lipid raft association. Although the palmitoylation-deficient Env mutant was synthesized at a level similar to that of the wild-type Env, it was found to be expressed at reduced levels on the cell surface. We observed syncytium formation activity with both the wild-type and mutant Env proteins, indicating that palmitoylation or raft association is not required for MuLV viral fusion activity.
PMID: 12414927 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995 Oct 10;92(21):9871-5.

XMRV is a MuLV class virus the env gene has a very similar base sequence.raft formation is controlled by base sequences within the gag and pol genes which are virtually identical in xmrv compared with Mulv apart from a higher degree of deletions downsream of the alternative start codon.As deletions dont code for anything I would say yes.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I've been sick 24 years and have always been thin until I got sick. My weight gain may be due to the fact I'm in a wheelchair and get very little excercise. It was either use a wheelchair or be bedridden for all these years. My thyroid has been a problem too.

Despite having a low fat diet before getting ill, after developing ME a cholestrol test showed high levels, Dr Myhill said it wasn't my diet but a thyroid problem. I had high CMV levels and lately EBV levels showed an active infection. I too have put weight on, like you little exercise is not good:( but we have no choice.

Rosemary

Does XMRV utilise cholesterol and lipid rafts to do its dirty work ?

Thanks for finding the link Jill !

Chris Hempel said
Quote " I am wondering if XMRV utilizes cholesterol and lipid rafts to do its dirty work and whether the Niemann Pick Type C gene could help the XMRV virus assemble in the body like it does with HIV-AIDS? "

" Since receiving the devastating news that our girls have Niemann Pick Type C disease, we have appeared on TV shows like The Doctors and DATELINE to educate people on the disease and explain what its like to deal with two 5 year old kids with dementia. The good news is that some people do listen. Dr. Judy Mikovitz of the Whittemore Petersen Institute in Reno, Nevada (where I live) heard of my complaints of a viral illness striking our family in 2005. She offered to do some testing. At first nothing turned up, but I remained persistent in trying to get to the bottom of what was going on.

Annette, I hope you are doing well. I am so sorry I have not been in touch but I have been swamped with working with our doctors and the FDA to treat the girls with cyclodextrin. Last year, Judy ran some special testing on Addi and Cassi. I know that whatever she tested turned out negative but I am wondering what she was looking at. Did she look at NKT cells by chance (see attached)? Something is going on with the girls immune systems and I am trying to get to the bottom of it. The HIV/AIDS researcher I am working with thinks that there is something going on with transcription factors and t-cells.

Chris, last year we looked at inflammatory cytokines and chemokines and the Rnase L activity. The cytokines and chemokines were within the normal adult ranges (though we know nothing about ranges in small children). The RNase L activity was high but that is consistent with active infection (EBV?). We only had 6 mls of blood so we could not do the panel of immune cells NK and NKT or the important T cell component. We would like to do these studies and now that we have the LSR (18 color flow cytometer up and running) we could do an in depth immune profiling. I would also like to look at the girls immune system in light of a recent new discovery made here at the WPI (but not yet public knowledge). If possible could we get ~15 mls from the girls this week? We have a window of opportunity before the holiday and vacations and would be delighted to do all the testing here at the WPI lab that you visited last year Applied Research facility Rm 401 on Evans. We can also pick up the blood at your convenience.

I provided Dr. Mikovits with additional blood samples from the twins. Sure enough Addi and Cassi tested positive for an active infection of XMRV. One twin (Cassi) tested with more severity. Cassi is the same twin that had more severe symptoms at the onset of contracting the virus. There must be something here to research further.

Interestingly, for the past year and a half I have been working with a leading HIV-AIDS researcher who discovered that the HIV-AIDS virus (also a retro virus like XMRV) uses cholesterol and the Niemann Pick Type C gene to do its dirty work in the human body. I am wondering if XMRV utilizes cholesterol and lipid rafts to do its dirty work and whether the Niemann Pick Type C gene could help the XMRV virus assemble in the body like it does with HIV-AIDS? "

Rosemary

Mitochondrial dysfunction and subsequent ATP deficiency which is induced by altered cholesterol metabolism in mitochondria, may be responsible for neuronal impairment in NPC disease,
so by reducing the level of cholesterol within mitochondrial membranes using methyl--cyclodextrin they are actually restoring the activity of ATP synthase.

Altered Cholesterol Metabolism in Niemann-Pick Type C1 Mouse Brains Affects Mitochondrial Function*

Wenxin Yu , Jian-Sheng Gong , Mihee Ko , William S. Garver , Katsuhiko Yanagisawa , and Makoto Michikawa||
From the Department of Alzheimer's Disease Research, National Institute for Longevity Sciences, 36-3 Gengo, Morioka, Obu, Aichi 474-8522, Japan, The Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency, Tokyo 100-0013, Japan, and the Department of Pediatrics, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724

Niemann-Pick type C1 (NPC1) disease is a fatal hereditary disorder characterized by a defect in cholesterol trafficking and progressive neurodegeneration. Although the NPC1 gene has been identified, the molecular mechanism responsible for neuronal dysfunction in brains of patients with NPC1 disease remains unknown. This study demonstrates that the amount of cholesterol within mitochondria membranes is significantly elevated in NPC1 mouse brains and neural cells. In addition, the mitochondrial membrane potential, the activity of ATP synthase, and henceforth the level of ATP are markedly decreased in NPC1 mouse brains and neurons. Importantly, reducing the level of cholesterol within mitochondrial membranes using methyl--cyclodextrin can restore the activity of ATP synthase. Finally, NPC1 neurons show an impaired neurite outgrowth, which can be rescued by exogenous ATP. These results suggest that mitochondrial dysfunctions and subsequent ATP deficiency, which are induced by altered cholesterol metabolism in mitochondria, may be responsible for neuronal impairment in NPC1 disease.

Rosemary

I would assume then that mutated NPC1 therefore results in a severe defect in oxidative phosphorylation [OXPHOS]
This ATP synthase defect in NPC1 would result in a significantly decreased ATP synthase in the brain and there would also be a significant loss of ATP levels in the brain, I also would assume that cholesterol levels in lipid rafts in the brain would perhaps be decreased ?
Does anyone else agree with this ?

Has anyone looked at ways to improve OXPHOS or supplements to use to improve oxidative phosphorylation function ?
How would you increase ATP levels ? how do you restore ATP synthase function ?
Any ideas would be appreciated ..please

Rosemary,

I've recently discovered that the athletic performance supplement, creatine, boosts my ATP levels enough to make a difference in both energy and brain functioning. If you check out Dr. Myhill's theory on mitochondrial dysfunction in CFS it says something like: used ATP converts to ADP which does not get recycled back to ATP (as it should), instead it converts to AMP which can only be recycled back to ATP via the use of caffeine (which has always helped with me with energy, but increases vaso contriction, which unfortunately adds to brain fog). I've experimented with creatine at various levels for a few months with some success. By taking 5 grams of creatine, and some additional supplements that help the body remove lactic acid, before exercising, I've managed to bypass (70-80%) of P.E.M. I did this while attempting anaerobic exercise (weight training) at level I wouldn't normally attempt. My creatine trial and error continues to be a work-in-progress, and is part of a larger protocol which includes methylation supplements (recommended by RichV, Yasko, Myhill, etc.) along with other sups, most of which have been discussed on this board. As an fyi, I've had moderate to severe CFS for twenty years.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

BW

Rosemary

Hello BrightWorld,

Many Thanks for sharing this information ,
I have read some good reports about creatine supplementation, some of the research says that creatine helps to maintain and build muscle mass and it can provide more energy and it is also used in certain neuromuscular degenerative diseases.
I am glad to hear that it is working for you and it sounds like you are doing very well, I like the idea of combining creatine with other supplements
Best Wishes for a continual improvement in your health !

Rosemary

2. Mitochondria and Niemann Pick disease

Until relatively recently, dogma had it that mitochondria do not
contain cholesterol. Now we know that mitochondrial
membranes both contain this lipid and that the organelle
metabolizes it. The work of Yu et al below shows that the
amount of cholesterol is significantly elevated within
mitochondrial membranes of Niemann Pick Disease C1 type
(NPC1) mouse brain and neurons Also, there is a decreased
ATP synthase activity and reduced mitochondrial membrane
potential. Reducing the level of cholesterol with the drug
methyl-SS-cyclodextrin restored ATP synthase activity.
The authors argue that ATP deficiency induced by altered
cholesterol metabolism in mitochondria explains the neuronal
impairment in NPC1 disease.

YU.W, GONG.JS, KO.M, GARVER.WS, YANAGISAWA.K &
MICHIKAWA. M. J BIOL CHEM 280. 11731-9 (2005)

http://www.mitosciences.com/mitonews_01_03.html

Altered Cholesterol Metabolism in Niemann-Pick Type C1 Mouse Brains Affects Mitochondrial Function*

Wenxin Yu , Jian-Sheng Gong , Mihee Ko , William S. Garver , Katsuhiko Yanagisawa , and Makoto Michikawa||
From the Department of Alzheimer's Disease Research, National Institute for Longevity Sciences, 36-3 Gengo, Morioka, Obu, Aichi 474-8522, Japan, The Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency, Tokyo 100-0013, Japan, and the Department of Pediatrics, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724

Niemann-Pick type C1 (NPC1) disease is a fatal hereditary disorder characterized by a defect in cholesterol trafficking and progressive neurodegeneration. Although the NPC1 gene has been identified, the molecular mechanism responsible for neuronal dysfunction in brains of patients with NPC1 disease remains unknown. This study demonstrates that the amount of cholesterol within mitochondria membranes is significantly elevated in NPC1 mouse brains and neural cells. In addition, the mitochondrial membrane potential, the activity of ATP synthase, and henceforth the level of ATP are markedly decreased in NPC1 mouse brains and neurons. Importantly, reducing the level of cholesterol within mitochondrial membranes using methyl--cyclodextri n can restore the activity of ATP synthase. Finally, NPC1 neurons show an impaired neurite outgrowth, which can be rescued by exogenous ATP. These results suggest that mitochondrial dysfunctions and subsequent ATP deficiency, which are induced by altered cholesterol metabolism in mitochondria, may be responsible for neuronal impairment in NPC1 disease.