• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV test and 24 hour delivery

Andrew

My doctor drew my blood on October 29, 2009. FedEx tried to deliver it to VIPDx on October 30, 2009. But someone had locked the gate that led to the building and the delivery could not be made. The samples sat in the FedEx truck or FedEx building over the weekend. This means it took 4 days (not 24 hours) and it was exposed to changes in temperature while it was waiting.

According to VIPDX, this delay doesn't matter. I was told that both XMRV tests are based on DNA, that DNA is durable, and so the 24 hour deadline is not required. They did, however, tell me I had to send new samples for the other tests my doctor ordered, which they said required live blood.

Considering that they told me to send new samples for the other tests, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't ask for new XMRV samples unless it really didn't matter. So now I'm wondering why they make such a big deal about it having to be there in 24 hours.

Note: new information from VIPDx tells me that the delay does matter, and that's why my test is messed up.

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
And coming from Europe as well. I've not had problems sending to the USA before but they are refusing to send kits to us.

I'm sorry that it was held up anyway Andrew and that you have to go through another blood draw etc.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
And coming from Europe as well. I've not had problems sending to the USA before but they are refusing to send kits to us.

I'm sorry that it was held up anyway Andrew and that you have to go through another blood draw etc.

Alice just out of interest, how have you sent blood to the US before? Did you use Fed express 24 hour delivery? Also did you declare it as blood on the packaging?

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
Yes, I've used Fedex and declared as appropriate. It's been a few years though since my last shipment.

leaves

xmrv test not time sensitive

I had a similar experience. Because of a mistake of the lab where I had my blood drawn, my sample was send out only the next day, however VIP lab looked at my blood and it was still fine.
Apparently the blood has to incubate for 24 hours anyway.
So I dont really understand why they make such a fuss about the sample arriving within 24 hours. Especially if that would keep people from overseas to get tested...

Andrew

I was just told that my test was messed up and I need to send them new blood. I was told that part of the problem was the delay in my blood getting there.

G

George

Rats, they're everywhere

I was just told that my test was messed up and I need to send them new blood. I was told that part of the problem was the delay in my blood getting there.

Bummer Andrew. With the holidays that means probably not until next year for the sample and how long until they get it processed.

Thanks to all of you pioneers who are helping to define the test for the rest of us. Hell, if they're swamped now can you imagine if they said "hey we got the bugs worked out and are now offering the test for $200.00" Jeezeeee VIP dx would be knee deep in blood.:eek: