• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV serology testing at VIP Dx

subtr4ct

I have another question that may seem silly, but I can't figure it out. I know the serology test is not available, but I was thinking of getting the already available test.

The requisition form for VIPdx has a box for a signature for a physician along with some codes. Does this mean I have to get this done through a doctor?

Is it possible to have the test done without a doctor's participation (in the US)? Can I take this requisition to any laboratory? Who ships the blood samples- the lab or me?

It seems that a physician's endorsement is required. Our doctor has agreed to take the samples (for Mrs. subtr4ct and our daughter) at his office, and we will take them to FedEx ourselves (if its okay the doctor's office). The samples need to be in Reno within 24 hours. On a related note -- you will need to give your sample not too late in the week so that it will arrive in Reno on a working day.

The real question for us is: when will we get the test kits!?!? Our request was acknowledged on Jan 28., at which time we were told to expect a 6 to 8 week wait. Nothing yet.

Kati

Patient in training
Hoping, you can e-mail VIP on this regard. I believe they need to send the results to a doctor- Why I don't know, but it might be a law. If you get an answer please get back to us.

ukxmrv

When I asked VIPdx in October they said it was a legal requirement to send results to a physician for USA patients

spindrift

Plays With Voodoo Dollies
@ Subtr4ct

You might want to call VIP. I called two weeks ago and had my test kit within a week,
although they told me it would take 6 weeks.

G

Gerwyn

When screening tests are used for MuLV class virus(XMRV is a MuLV class virus) investigators search for viral antigens and antibodies.Antigens stimulate the production of antibodies specific to that antigen.

MuLVs, in general are example sof very low titre viruses so the levels of antibodies are miniscule and can be very hard to detect,

While detectable levels of antibodies may be found in a person's blood who has picked up the virus by infection ,from another person for example ,this may not be the case for a person who has inherited the XMRV bound to parental DNA.

These are called horizontal and vertical transfer respectively.

So if looking for inherited dNA the focus will be on detecting antigens.

These are proteins of a particular shape expressed on the coat of the virus

XMRV can be looked at as 6 non identical twins

This means that xmrv antigens can be slightly different to each other and also produce a range of antibodies.

The test has to be able to detect the range of antigens and antibodies produced otherwise there will be a lot of false negatives.

The problems dont stop there these viruses can seroconvert which means that the same XMRV srtain can suddenly express a different antigen and thus slip through the net.

Just to make life even more interesting XMRV is often latent(hidden in our DNA) and not be antigenic at all.Viral DNA does not provoke an antibody response.

MuLVs can also hide in the bone marrow and can hide in brain cells and be completely undetectable

Finally,another possibility is cell-cell transfer.If a cell wall is viewed under an electron microscope it looks like "molecular chicken wire".The "holes are big enough for a virus of this class to get through.These viruses also cling to the"corridors" that link the neucleus to the cell walls.Finding antibodies or antigens for viruses "travelling" like this is dam near impossible.

This will be one hell of a sophisticated test

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
Correct, G.

In fact, I have no idea how they will detect latent XMRV without a test more sophisticated than anything I have heard of so far (and if it's sequestered in the bone marrow, or worse still the brain...).

That's why I am concerned about the ability to properly screen for XMRV, for e.g. in the blood supply.

G

Gerwyn

Correct, G.

In fact, I have no idea how they will detect latent XMRV without a test more sophisticated than anything I have heard of so far (and if it's sequestered in the bone marrow, or worse still the brain...).

That's why I am concerned about the ability to properly screen for XMRV, for e.g. in the blood supply.

In short i dont think you can.if there is such a thing as a stealth virus this is it!

this class of retrovirus has come very close to making our species extinct many times!

C

Cloud

When I asked VIPdx in October they said it was a legal requirement to send results to a physician for USA patients

That's been true for some time.....the lab results have to first go to the physician. We do have a right to those records, but the lab can insist you get them from the doctor. Most labs here in California will honor our right to copies of those records and require only a signed release to walk out their door with them....I obtain ~90% of all my labs records directly from the lab. The other 10% are the really anal labs that no amount of charm can sway in my favor.