• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV: Private Testimony to HHS

ukxmrv

Thanks - I've been looking for that again for a while. I remember seeing that at the time, noting the references to infertily, and to DHEA and then couldn't find it again. Will have another read now.

ukxmrv

No woops about it. Don't know if it has been posted on this forum. I may have seen it somewhere else.

So much to read!

Rafael

XMRV+ Member
Interesting. I wonder why this Anonymous person is so pro DHEA for for X... er, HGRV
"...desperate for simple, inexpensive and safe therapeutics able to block the reactivation of XMRV. We know the virus is inducible by stress particularly the glucocorticoid steroid hormones. We also know that CFS-ME patients are low in the anti-stress hormone, dihydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). Accordingly, although it remains to be clinically proven by randomized clinical trials, daily supplementation with DHEA is likely to help prevent and minimize XMRV activation by at least, minimizing stress."
I read up on DHEA up in Wiki. But when I tried searching DHEA on the forum. It must be filed under a different name. There's nothing that someone on this forum hasn't already tried.
Can someone please direct me to the DHEA department.

alex3619

Hi Rafael,
DHEA has been a standard treatment for ME and CFS with some doctors for decades. Some patients seem to respond to it, but I have never tried it. The problem is that it is considered an anabolic steroid. Worse, until clinical trials are done, we wont know if it might actually stimulate XMRV/HGRV - it might trigger the androgen receptor.

Bye
Alex

Can someone please direct me to the DHEA department.

Lynn

I have tried DHEA on two separate occasions for at least 3 months trials. I did not see any difference.

The first time was early on in the disease. I think I was hoping for a quick cure back then. The second time was about seven years later. I still could not see any difference in my symptoms.

Lynn

ukxmrv

I took DHEA for three months. Had a boost during month 1 and thought I was onto something. Then slowly returned to normal after that. Not many things give me that 1 month boost but I don't know what was happening.

XMRV+

floydguy

I took DHEA for like a year and didn't notice any difference. At this point I am leery of trying to address things willy nilly without some comprehension of why such levels are low or high.