• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV in respiratory tract, 4% positive controls, crimson crescents

awol

Pure speculation, but hey, we are lacking news so that's what we have right now!

Do you all remember Dr. Cunha's crimson crescents? Remember how he saw them in lots and lots of ME/CFS patients, but also in around 4% of healthy people?

Now we have a few studies that have found XMRV in around 4% of healthy people. Coincidence? I will be very interested to see if there is any correlation between crimson crescents and XMRV. Maybe this will show up already on the XMRV+ survey?

Lynn

Dr. Cheney also makes note of the crimson crescent when he does an examination. He has a rating scale that he uses. I never really understood what that meant though.

Lynn

HopingSince88

The red crescents are two thin crimson lines that are seen in the throat in the tonsil area. I have them. I wonder if this could turn out to be some kind of biomarker for us.

Is this in the survey? maybe it should be added?

Lynn

The article is from 1992. I guess there must be some reason it didn't become a biomarker. I wonder if that is because it could be found in a percentage of healthy people?

Lynn

HopingSince88

They found red crescents in 3-5% of healthy individuals, so presumably this may have turned folks off to this possibility as a biomarker. However, we now know that 4% of healthy individuals have XMRV, so perhaps this question could be reassessed? Anyone know how to start a poll?

R

Robin

They found red crescents in 3-5% of healthy individuals, so presumably this may have turned folks off to this possibility as a biomarker. However, we now know that 4% of healthy individuals have XMRV, so perhaps this question could be reassessed? Anyone know how to start a poll?

I'll do it -- I'll put it in the symptoms subforum

K

_Kim_

I will be very interested to see if there is any correlation between crimson crescents and XMRV. Maybe this will show up already on the XMRV+ survey?

5 out of 15 respondents on the XMRV+ survey report currently having crimson crescents. This is one of those symptoms that not everyone will be aware of (or even know where to check for them), so the actual #s might be higher. Doctors, too, will miss this as they are trained to look at the pharynx, not the soft palate.

HopingSince88

I had great trouble in seeing my own, even though I knew what I was looking for. It took great coordination to get a mirror and flashlight just right to see it properly. But in the end, it was there.

R

Robin

I had great trouble in seeing my own, even though I knew what I was looking for. It took great coordination to get a mirror and flashlight just right to see it properly. But in the end, it was there.

Poll is here. I added a little diagram which I hope is helpful. It would be better if we had a picture but I couldn't find one online. Maybe I'll get someone to help me take one later.

jackie

I knew I'd read this before! in the canadian consensus doc under "Immune Manifestations" (specifically)..."Faucial injection and Crimson Crescents may be seen in the Tonsil Fossae."

i have a feeling that i may have voted "no".....when i should have voted "yes" and no i haven't been tested

(sorry!:D)

awol

I guess this means that both no's so far are invalid!

What would you like to change your votes to?

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
I just checked for them, never new what you guys were talking about til now, could have been pastry for all I knew! I have a very distinct one on the left side and what looks to be the start of one on the right.

parvofighter

Biopsying the Crimson Crescents

I took a look at that original 1992 article on Crimson crescents (http://www.immunesupport.com/93sum007.htm) and was intrigued to see Cunha's comments on biopsying.
Cunha is trying to grow virus out of these crescents in an attempt to discover their cause. "The problem is when anyone does antiviral throat cultures, clinical labs are not equipped to grow HHV-6. In addition, with viruses you have to go deeper than just the surface because they live within cells. So my next step is to biopsy the crescents," Cunha said.
Of course, that was ages ago (1992). Did he ever do crescent biopsies? I wonder if any of the XMRV researchers will be biopsying crimson crescents?

And ouch.:Retro wink:

R

Robin

[/INDENT]Of course, that was ages ago (1992). Did he ever do crescent biopsies? I wonder if any of the XMRV researchers will be biopsying crimson crescents?

They probably don't know about them! Most people don't!

I wonder if he did do biopsies and what he thinks about XMRV. He's still in practice, anyone want to call him?

But if you read the linked article above, guess where it's from?

This article was reprinted by The CFIDS Association of America, Inc. publisher of The CFIDS Chronicle 800/44-CFIDS by permission of Infectious Disease News. Volume 5, Number 11, November 1992.

Maybe they'll do a study about it in their research program.