• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV + by culture and negative by serology

acer2000

Overstressed,

I think yes about XMRV migrating to "reservoirs." This is why KDM is doing stomach biopsies on some people and finding it there when it wasn't detected by serology or culture.

Sushi

Is he really reporting that he is finding it in stomach biopsies? If so, do you have a link?

I heard a report that he might look there (which makes total sense given the monkey studies), but I hadn't heard that he started doing it, or that he had report at a conference or paper that he found it and how.

X-Man

X(MRV) Man to the rescue
Hi X-man,

are you sure that no antibodies are produced ? I have always been told that antibody is always produced, if it's efficient to eliminate the virus, is a complete different story, but antibodies are always produced.

What might be playing here, is that the antibody-test is not sensitive enough, when antibodies are created in small amounts, due to low viral load. I know this is the case with HTLV. The commercial serology test for HTLV1-2 is sensitive, but not 100%, so you can have false negatives, while you might be positive. I got this from a HTLV-researcher, and she carried out a much more sensitive test on me.

And I guess it might be the case with XMRV too, seen the similarities with HTLV.

OS.

No I am not sure! Your explanation is equally plausible. VIPDx gives both explainations on their website: http://www.vipdx.com/faqs/ . Here are direct quotes from them: "Certain immune dysfunctions may cause your immune system not to develop an antibody response to XMRV." and "Although we strive to offer the most sensitive test available, XMRV can be present at a very low copy number and may be below the limit of detection at the time your sample was tested."

So as you can see that sometimes people don't produce antibodies to XMRV. Also these tests are first or second generation and may not be sensitive enough to detect XMRV or antibodies to XMRV in everyone at this time.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Is he really reporting that he is finding it in stomach biopsies? If so, do you have a link?

I heard a report that he might look there (which makes total sense given the monkey studies), but I hadn't heard that he started doing it, or that he had report at a conference or paper that he found it and how.

I have been reading about it in the Dutch CFS forum where many of his patients post. Also, he mentioned this to a patient on this forum.

He hasn't published yet, but says he will soon.

Sushi

Deatheye

According to the newest report form the mikovits talk, if I get it right, the most ill people don't have antibodys. There immun system seems not to be able anymore to produce antibodys against xmrv (personally I guess not only xmrv...?).
This would mean negativ by serology and positiv by culture, right?

anncavan

I am also serology negative, culture positive.

Per Deatheye, Dr. Mikovits did mention the most ill people don't create antibodies. I have also read that people on antivirals can cause a negative serology. I can't remember where I read it, but I do remember thinking at the time I ordered the test (before I understood all of this a little better) that I better test for culture too since my antivirals might give me a negative serology.