• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV+ and other viruses

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Are the current PWC that test positive for XMRV, also testing positive for other viruses such as EBV, HHV-6, CMV and etc...... Or, do they tend to be negative for these?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
if xmrv is similar to hiv then it will have he capacity to make alot of past infections reactivate especially the herpees viruses like ebv and cmv. Its the co-infections that end up hurting the hiv people because there immune systema are shot. I think with xmrv we will find it affect our natural killer cells, leaving us open to viral reactivation, so we will need a med that strengethen our nk cells which ampligen does then possibly antivirals if needed to get our viral load down. In hiv they mainly look at their immune health by there cd4 lymphocyte numbers, where i think cfs they will be looking at our nk cell function to see how our immune system is going

Otis

Señor Mumbler
I believe Dr. Montoya is studying this. I expect other studies are/will be.

You might try a poll if you want to ask the XMRV+ folks here if thay've been tested and if so what kinds of virusus co-exist.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
The reason I ask is that I was tested for EBV, HHV-6 and CMV. The CMV was negative, but the HHV-6 was positive @ 1:160 and the EBV Nuclear Antigen(IgG) @ 1214(+>120), Early Antigen(IgG) @ 168(+>120) and Viral Capsid Antigen (IgG) @2060(+>120), with a second sample sent to ViroMed @2492(+>120). EBV VCA(IgG) was rechecked 4 months later (while taking Valcyte) @2857 and ViroMed @2522. My GP discards the EBV levels due to it being IgG and says that everyone's is high due to being exposed to the virus. Infectious disease doctor says that is not true as it typically determine the time frame of when I was exposed, but at any point it should never be that high. My DHEA-S had dropped to 17 and Vit. D was down to 25.7.
I appreciate all the feedack and will keep my eyes open about Montoya study. I might see if putting up a "Poll" will be okay and see what comes of it. Thanks again!

JT1024

Hi August59,

Go with the Infectious Disease Doc.... He would know better regarding the EBV titre. While many have been exposed to EVB, an elevated IgG titer can indicate a recent challenge to your immune system. IgM is the initial response. IgG is secondary. When there is no challenge, the IgG levels should decrease. Your Infectious Disease doctor should know what "HE" considers normal given what he has experienced with his patient population.

With the HHV-6 titre, you might want to "google" HHV-6. This is a significant virus for PWC. The Whittemore Peterson Institure website also links to an HHV-6 patient organization.

Your Vitamin D level is low. No surprise there as most Vitamin D levels I see are low. I live in Massachusetts and work in a hospital. While I don't do the Vitamin D testing, I see plenty of lab results. I am low on Vitamin D myself so I take supplements. I had been prescribed megadoses at one point but now I just take 5-10,000 IU daily.

Not up on DHEA-S but you can also find information online. Try www.labtestsonnline.com. I'm not a big fan of the site but it is a start!

Good Luck! ~ JT