• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV AND Leukemia connection?

I have been looking at all your posts on XMRV. and I am astounded how much you all know.
xenotropic murine leukemia virus. To be honest i cannot get my head round it all.
The thing is I had leukemia when I was 19 I'm now 39. I had a bone marrow transplant in 1991.
I never really recovered from this yes the cancer cells went but i suffered headaches, panic attacks, joint pain. attacks of shingles. But i had a break for 5 years when I could lead an active life working full time.
i just thought it had taken me a long long time to recover. But in 2005 i was working too hard and get a massive does of shingles then back pain headaches and fatigue, low grade fever swollen lymph glands.also my lady hormones kicked back in at that time,I had been seven months pregnant when they found the leukaemia..{{HORMONES AGAIN}} they had been killed off due to the chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
so when the xmrv came out. Its mind boggling. can anybody shed some light on the connections with the shingles,leukaemia, hormones genes.

Daffodil

katie wow....u had a bone marrow rx in 1991!?? may i ask what sort of bone marrow transplant you had?

sorry you have been through so much!

it makes sense that you would have a remission after the transplant and chemo/radiation..it happens to a lot of people. i guess many of the XMRV infected cells are killed off...?

sue
xoxo

sorry i missed this, sue,I had a allogeneic I think, that off my brother, i must say, my consultant endocrinologist, says that the treatment plans now are not quite severe as they were then.
i wonder about my brothers cells too because he has really bad carpel tunnel, back pain and around the time i got sick, he got bell's palsy. Its all very confusing.
thanx for you replies XX

HTLV/2..? probably Not I m in the process, Of getting a copy of my notes from birth and will look. i will work out what this means.
when i was having the chemo and treatments I asked like I do now.. why this why that.
one thing I remember is, a certain blood test I asked about it was a test to see if, I was herpes positive, MEANING IF WOULD Likely Come out in cold sores with the chemo, and if i needed a antiviral Acyclovir. I did test positive for it. and had to take a daily tablet, I always wondered what that meant. He told me that some people do and some people dont.
i wish i could pick my hematologist's brain but he retired 7 years ago.

redo

If it was true that XMRV not only could cause lymphoma, but could also be the reason why the body can't handle the lymphoma once it has begun to "bud". Then one would suspect that medicines which work for lymphoma would also work for other XMRV related diseases, such as CFS.

I am looking forward to seeing the results of the trial of thirty cfs patients when using the (lymphoma) drug rituximab.

Navid

If it was true that XMRV not only could cause lymphoma, but could also be the reason why the body can't handle the lymphoma once it has begun to "bud". Then one would suspect that medicines which work for lymphoma would also work for other XMRV related diseases, such as CFS.

I am looking forward to seeing the results of the trial of thirty cfs patients when using the (lymphoma) drug rituximab.

redo: do you know when that study will be completed. i think that it is very strong possibility for treatment...depletes b cells...which apparently is one of the reasons we feel so crappy and get so sick...the high b cells.

redo

Yes. That's what it does; depletes B-cells. But it might also have other effects such as making the body mount an antiviral response (it says about mAb treatment in general, check the rituximab thread).

So it could be that, it could be, like you mentioned that the immune modulating effects clear the b-cells and makes one feel better. It could be that it clears the b cells, and the virus lives inside those cells. Or it might have other effects...

It's not easy to know, other than that it's had a great effect on three of three.

I think the study is done. Done but not published. It used to be out on clinicaltrials.gov, where it said estimated completion date june/july 2010. I hope they will publish it, but it's not sure... Hopefully.