• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV and hormones - CFS and autism gender rates

natasa778

In his presentation dr Bell mentions that male to female ration of CFS is about the same in affected children. In adults the prevalence is much higher in females (anyone know the ratio?)

IF it turns out that xmrv is involved in etiology of both autism and CFS this is what I find quite striking. For the sake of argument I will call both conditions XAND in this chart. Also for the sake of argument I will say that autism develops 0-5 years of age. Also the age group of 5-15 is rough… but it would be really interesting to see if gender ration is still the same in children with CFS as they approach adolescence and adulthood.

age XAND develops:

0-5 male to female ratio 4:1

5 – 15 male to female ratio 1:1

15 onwards male to female ratio 1:4(?)

In any case IF it is shown that both autism and CFS are in fact XAND, quite intriguing how gender prevalence changes depending on when the disease develops.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
There was a study done a couple years ago...I don't really feel like searching for the link right now.
It linked high levels of testosterone in pregnant mothers, with high rates of autism in the resulting children.

Not sure if this helps you out at all, just thought it may have some relevance.

usedtobeperkytina

Autism, if I remember right, occurs in higher rate in males.

It is not the only one. I heard on a radio talk show this week that strokes in children are more common in boys.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see if XAND leads to autism, how the virus makes it so males have it more?

Tina

JillBohr

Very good question you brought up here Natassa. I have been wondering why my boys have autism but my female family members have ME/CFS and FM. I must say that my grandfather died of prostate cancer and my father died of glioblastoma brain tumour(no idea if XMRV related) but I wonder if XMRV tends to bring on cancer more often in males and ME/CFS in females. I did read somewhere that autoimmune diseases are more common in females than in males (about 79 percent in females). One more thought, females that do have autism tend to more severe. I do not know if that is the case with males that suffer from ME/CFS.

gu3vara

Interesting thread, thx!

It makes me wonder if I'm doing myself harm rather than good by taking HCG to boost my testosterone levels. It is at bottom range (along with cortisol and dhea) without HRT.

It might be a way to protect the body and slow virus replication. Fact is, I can do cortisol and testosterone just fine when the pituitary hormones are there (I had the stimulation test done for adrenal and I was fine and HCG mimics FSH and LH).

Anyone knows if HRT is a bad thing with XMRV? I'm thinking of quitting, I don't think I had any help at all from it anyway

G

Gerwyn

In his presentation dr Bell mentions that male to female ration of CFS is about the same in affected children. In adults the prevalence is much higher in females (anyone know the ratio?)

IF it turns out that xmrv is involved in etiology of both autism and CFS this is what I find quite striking. For the sake of argument I will call both conditions XAND in this chart. Also for the sake of argument I will say that autism develops 0-5 years of age. Also the age group of 5-15 is rough but it would be really interesting to see if gender ration is still the same in children with CFS as they approach adolescence and adulthood.

age XAND develops:

0-5 male to female ratio 4:1

5 15 male to female ratio 1:1

15 onwards male to female ratio 1:4(?)

In any case IF it is shown that both autism and CFS are in fact XAND, quite intriguing how gender prevalence changes depending on when the disease develops.

that is fascinating the last two I think might fit together.Testesterone may be the link getting the virus to replicate.the young age is when the mind forms its ability to make complex representations of the world including the social schema.The triad of imairment could result from psuedogene involvement in this early stage possibly because the nature of the effective relationships between girls and boys are different.i think this may be epigenetic.It would replicate more in females as hormonal changes kick in.but you could only begin to hazard a guess by assuming that xmrv acts as a pseudogene and does most of its damage when latent I am only guessing of course feel free to kick it to bits!