• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

xmrv + and cytokines; what to do?

leaves

Hello,

I have some very elevated interleukin, but interleukin 6 and 13 are extremely low, i.e. zero. I always have the feeling that my immune system is switched off, this may be because interleukin 6 and 13 are non existent? Someone has experience with this ? are there ways to increase them some what? IL 8 is also low (7.5)

elevated cytokines; IL-1α is extremely high (23.5) IL12 too (11.5), il-4 is very high too (3.7) il-17 as well (14.7)

Any advice or interpretations are very appreciated!

Kati

Patient in training
MY Il-6 and 8 are quite low, close to 0, and I was told it is likely due to certain medication.

Il13 is extremely high and so are 17 and 23 which are GI inflammation. This got my doctor testing me for Coxsackie B virus and I tested positive for 2 strains.

Il-12 has to do with viral. your body is fighting .

leaves

huh that is interesting that your 6 and 8 are low too. I am pretty sure that my 6 isnt low because of any medicines I take, if you look into it it is pretty important for expelling parasites, dreaming, etc.
How is your il 1 alpha Is there any way to reduce it?

Hope123

Leaves, I think we share a doc, Dr. Klimas?

Anyhow, I had tried to read the literature on cytokines before seeing Klimas and my impression is, consistent with her beliefs so far, that the cytokine findings are non-specific at this point as a means of diagnosis for CFS or XMRV because they can vary for a number of reasons from person to person. So when I've read that IL-8 is specific for XMRV in some posts, I didn't believe that so much and your situation is consistent with what I thought.

Like you, my IL-8 is also low but I'm waiting on the XMRV test to be better refined. My other cytokines were generally high, in some cases, several times higher than normal. If you look at Klimas' study on women with CFS last year, their IL-8 was also lower than normal. Is it poplation, techniques, stage of disease, etc.? Not clear yet.

leaves

Hey Hope,

yes I see doc Klimas too :))
hm yes, il-8 is not specific for xmrv I think, at least I am xmrv + and have a low il-8. I think you are right; there are a lot of roads to Rome/cfs. That does mean that it is important to know what is causing the particular elevations, and i am still not sure what is causing mine...

Kati

Patient in training
huh that is interesting that your 6 and 8 are low too. I am pretty sure that my 6 isnt low because of any medicines I take, if you look into it it is pretty important for expelling parasites, dreaming, etc.
How is your il 1 alpha Is there any way to reduce it?

Leaves, you can view my cytokines results put on a graph here:

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h168/jgarcia3788/?action=view&current=Kati_cytokines2.jpg

It's an easier way to read it with 1 on the y axis representing the mean value.

leaves

wooo fancy :)
your l 1 alpha is not so high I see... hmmm mine is 23.5 so it wouldnt even fit the pic I think, lol!
the only thing we share is high il12 and il17 and low il6 and il8.
weird we are all so different

I have included my results

Attachments

• cytokines..pdf
    934.1 KB · Views: 32

Kati

Patient in training
LEaves you have to know I have been ill for only 2 years. Il-17 and 23 are related to GI inflammation- and I tested positive for Coxsackie-B 2 and 6 virus. Il-12 is viral related. Nancy Klimas said my pattern is quite consistent with CFS-

leaves

ah ok maybe thats why, I am ill since childhood so maybe then the cytokines change after a while

Kati

Patient in training
Of what I hear ( I am no immunologist) some of the cytokines represent the chronic inflammation. It's interesting that your Il-6 is completely down to 0. Gerwyn said it was impossible- but then it may be caused to whatever treatment we're on.

leaves

hmmm I wasnt on any meds when that was taken...altho I do have a very low carb diet and take a lot of supplements, maybe that affects it ? OR I am a freak of nature, wont rule that out :)
BTW in your pic il-6 seems to be zero too??

C

Cloud

Interesting Leaves....I'm not sure what your other Cytokine changes mean, but I understood from my doc that my elevated IL1b, IL6, IL8, & RNaseL are characteristic findings in a tweaked immune system secondary to viral infection. I was in agreement with this because while on anti-viral tx, I watched IL 6&8, and the RNaseL drop in correlation with decreasing symptoms. Obviously, there is much more to the meaning of different Cytokine elevations. Also, certain anti-inflammatory meds would knock em down some.....but I doubt that much....if they did, sure are a lot of us could use a script.

I believe it was Dr Judy who said they were finding elevated IL8 most associated with xmrv? Gotta go with non-specific at this point.

leaves

Yes I think Dr M mentioned that about the il8. but I also know that Klimas found LOW levels of il8 with pwc...
all weird..
I know little grains, cow milk and nightshades and gluten did good things for my inflammation, that helped me a lot.

C

Cloud

Interesting with the nightshades.....I have been on a craving tomato juice tangent for a couple years now. I have disliked tomatoes my entire life until this.

leaves

ha yes. I think it has to do with the solanine. my mum and grandma have it too. I am especially sensitive to bell pepper powder