• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV acute retroviral response?

HIV sometimes has an acute retroviral response in people infected by it:

"This strikes you as a flu-like sickness usually about 2 to 4 weeks following initial infection. The symptoms usually last 3 to 14 days and go away on their own, just like the flu. It is estimated 50% to 90% of persons infected will get this syndrome. The most common symptoms are fever (fever means 100?F or higher), sore throat, swollen glands in the neck, armpits and groin, muscle and joint pains, rash and/or night sweats. Less common symptoms include weight loss (10 to 15 pounds), diarrhea, nausea, headache, and, very rarely, yeast infections of the mouth (thrush). Respiratory things like runny nose, sinus infection, coughing, sneezing, etc. are not generally considered symptoms of this syndrome."

Since XMRV is a retrovirus I wonder if there could be a similar response. Did anyone who is XMRV+ experience something like this?

ukxmrv

Vanguard,

That sounds like the acute viral onset to my own ME (the flu like sickness). This was out of the blue and I had been well before it struck.

I didn't get a rash (that I remember but I was unconscious and delirious for much of the time). With the sore throat I had very swollen tonsils.

The sinus infections didn't set in until later (after the acute phase)

XMRV+

Interesting uk. I didn't have a rash either. I did have very congested chest though.

I've been looking into testing for XMRV but the VIP dx site routes me to the UNEVX site - which is under construction?

Daffodil

yes, HIV usually induces the same mono-like flu after infection, just like XMRV! thats how mine started

Ok. I guess what confuses me, is that for a couple of months after my initial sickness I felt perfectly fine. Now all the symptoms + fatigue has begun. It seems like almost everyone else get's sick and then stays tired and somewhat sick after.

ukxmrv

Vanguard,

There is a survey for XMRV+ people but I have forgotten the link of it. I'll post when I find it again. Not sure what q's were asked now as well.

Where are you located? In the USA as you see VIP dx have moved and renamed the testing facility.

(start)
Welcome to VIP Dx
If you currently have tests pending with VIP Dx, those tests will be completed and reported by VIP Dx according to the current testing and reporting schedule.

As of June 13, 2011, XMRV testing will be conducted by UNEVX Clinical Laboratory.

If you have any questions regarding tests that you have pending at VIP Dx, please contact customer service at 775-351-1890 or info@vipdx.com.

(end)

The WPI has a new building as part of the Uni of Nevada and VIP dx always planned to move in there as well.

http://www.wpinstitute.org/news/news_cmm.html

In Europe there are a few other choices.

Jemal

HIV sometimes has an acute retroviral response in people infected by it:

"This strikes you as a flu-like sickness usually about 2 to 4 weeks following initial infection. The symptoms usually last 3 to 14 days and go away on their own, just like the flu. It is estimated 50% to 90% of persons infected will get this syndrome. The most common symptoms are fever (fever means 100?F or higher), sore throat, swollen glands in the neck, armpits and groin, muscle and joint pains, rash and/or night sweats. Less common symptoms include weight loss (10 to 15 pounds), diarrhea, nausea, headache, and, very rarely, yeast infections of the mouth (thrush). Respiratory things like runny nose, sinus infection, coughing, sneezing, etc. are not generally considered symptoms of this syndrome."

Since XMRV is a retrovirus I wonder if there could be a similar response. Did anyone who is XMRV+ experience something like this?

Many of these symptoms I get daily? Though I only got the throat ache with the onset of my symptoms (lasted for months) and I don't get fever.

Daffodil

it all goes in phases - at least thats how it has been with me, and i have had CFS for almost 20 yrs now. some symptoms can also be caused by reactivating infections.

Overstressed

Hi Vanguard,

that's exactly how it went with me. I remember it exactly, because I got infected by a sexual contact. The day after the contact, I already had symptoms like photophobia, increased yeast on my tongue, flu-like symptoms. After EXACTLY 21 days, I had a night sweat, it was like a had a shower in bed.

After explaining this to a retrovirus researcher, she told me that the very early signs(one day after infection) were a reactivation of virus/bacteria, and the night sweat after 21 days was the immune-system's answer to the acute infection(to cool down the fever peak), which was responsible for the reactivation of the other bugs.

Hope this helps,
OS.

free at last

This is interesting, because a lot get this bizzare flu that seems to kickstart the ME/CFS illness, none of my family did though ? including my partner ?
But of course those that develop ME/CFS that do not have this flu like onsett, can also test positive for xmrv. Either this means Not everyone gets this flu reaction from infection.or some other explanaintion. which im sure those that belive xmrv is not the cause. will have there own explanation for this discrepncie