• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XIFAXAN

Daffodil

hi all. i have been hearing more and more about antibiotic Xifaxan helping brain fog in many diseases, including CFS.

has anyone out there tried it?

Thanks!

john66

Hi Daffodil, I used it last summer for IBS issues. I wouldnt write home about it. Made my fingers and toes numb while using it. You need to take 3x per day. I think the bottle of 60 was close to 2K, so it is crazy expensive.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I took it for 10 days at New Year, I developed a massive allergy soon after (within 3 days) to melon and only just come back from that, so did it do anything for me? No. But sometimes things get mixed up with this crazy illness and the allergic reaction may have had nothing to do with my body's response to Xifaxan.

globalpilot

I tried it on a diagnostic basis as I do have a LOT of bloating. It did absolutely nothing. Some have had really good results, although many do seem to be temporary.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I think to have good results you need to have a gut/stool test that shows you have a condition-infection which xifaxin is known to help.

Also, it is available generic, but not in the US. I got mine from a Canadian pharmacy and yes, it did help a lot--however if it helps with brain fog, it is because the brain fog is coming from gut-related issues, as this med is only effective in the gut.

Sushi

Daffodil

thanks Sushi. on the internet, i have found that it helped many hep c patients with their brain fog / encephalopathy that they get with liver disease.

my fog is pretty much the worse its ever been right now. I am going to get the NK cell function test soon.

xoxoxoxo

drex13

Worst week of my life. Make that worst 4-5 days, because I couldn't make it a week on Xifaxan. Terrible diahrrea, not fun.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
http://www.magicpharma.com/advanced...sid=85e6a4a8205db6085ebc133ca41f1d10&x=13&y=9
they seem to be on holidays at the moment but taking orders at the end of april.
Flagyl is another abx that is used for similar infections to xifaxan, i have found it help in generalised symptoms in the past.
I think we are possibly full of opportunistic infections, we need one pill that has an av, arv, abx, antifungal, immune modulator all in one. It would be a dam big pill??

Daffodil

i dont get it every friggin leaky gut test i have is negative. everything is NEGATIVE. ARGHHHHHHH how can i treat anything

Daffodil

hi sushi. i have been looking at these tests. one is the urinary indican test:

http://biocenterlab.org/tests/urine/indican.shtml

there is a metametix test:

http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/gastrointestinal-function/dna-stool-analysis-gi-effects

and some others. i think i will ask for the metametrix one. i am not sure my doctor will be willing to set up an acct with this company; i hope so.

its been 4 1/2 days since my 7th GcMAF shot and i am in the midst of a major cytokine storm. very bad. i took 0.15.

thanks for all your help:)
xoxox

globalpilot

I just did themetametrix test . I ordered it through directlabs w/o a doctors order.

hi sushi. i have been looking at these tests. one is the urinary indican test:

http://biocenterlab.org/tests/urine/indican.shtml

there is a metametix test:

http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/gastrointestinal-function/dna-stool-analysis-gi-effects

and some others. i think i will ask for the metametrix one. i am not sure my doctor will be willing to set up an acct with this company; i hope so.

its been 4 1/2 days since my 7th GcMAF shot and i am in the midst of a major cytokine storm. very bad. i took 0.15.

thanks for all your help:)
xoxox

Daffodil

hi global thanks. did you get the complete stool profile test? what did it show, may i ask?

i will have to go througha doc since i am in canada..

thanks
xoxo

john66

One med that helped me more with bowel issues is buscopan, which I got in Greece last year. I think it is OTC in a lot of countries. Maybe try glutamine before taking out the big guns??? Since I tried GcMAF, terrible headaches, weight gain and lots of other issues that just dont make any sense. I admire you for keeping up with it so far, no way I could keep it going. J

globalpilot

It looks like its an antispasmodic. Is that what it helped you with ?

One med that helped me more with bowel issues is buscopan, which I got in Greece last year. I think it is OTC in a lot of countries. Maybe try glutamine before taking out the big guns??? Since I tried GcMAF, terrible headaches, weight gain and lots of other issues that just dont make any sense. I admire you for keeping up with it so far, no way I could keep it going. J