• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WPI Vice Pres Interview on Radio KUNR

Sasha

Fine, thank you
thanks, creekfeet - if we click the blue "listen now" square (top left below the menu bar) we can listen, incl in the uK!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
That was interesting - Mike Hillerby, the Vice President of WPI, was being interviewed in the bit I heard.

He said the WPI had found XMRV in 800 out of 1,000 blood samples of CFS people that they had been sent.

He also said they're having a clinic there, which I'm sure they must have announced before but which hadn't really sunk in for me.

creekfeet

Sockfeet
It's a wonderful thing, streaming radio online, worldwide. Yeah!

I missed the beginning of the show but caught nearly the entire last half-hour.

Dan Erwine of Nevada Newsline interviewed the WPI's VP, Mike Hillerby. He covered the basics we all know about association of XMRV with CFS, failure of other studies to replicate and why, and the goal being confirming causality, creating a reliable diagnostic test that labs everywhere can use and getting treatments available.

They talked about the upcoming opening of the research institute, and the eventual opening of a patient clinic for diagnosis and treatment. No projected date for that clinic opening as yet. Hillerby stressed often that this is a time of great hope no matter where you are. The WPI plans that its work should generate treatment info that is replicable and can be available to doctors everywhere. So the message remains, hang in there, help is on its way.

I don't know if I was confused, or he was, or this is something I just didn't know about but I think Hillerby said that there was an international symposium on XMRV coming up at WPI in a couple of weeks, with experts from around the world coming to Nevada. Maybe he meant the NIH workshop in Maryland? But Irwin followed that up with a question about how exciting that must be, to have people from all over the world coming to Nevada, so... ???

creekfeet

Sockfeet
They also talked about the blood supply, and about the importance of learning how XMRV is transmitted.

I wrote to ask that a podcast be made available. More people want to write with that request? Radio stations take such letters seriously and keep them on file especially if they are thanked for providing a public service.

feedback@kunr.org

Dear Mr. Erwine,

Thank you so much for having Mike Hillerby from the WPI as a guest on your show this morning. When my sister phoned me from her car to say your program was featuring WPI, I tuned in online immediately---the only way I can get any radio at all, here in (my town) ---and went to Facebook and two ME/CFS forums online, posting there to alert others. A few more people caught a bit of the show because I was able to do that, including two separate friends in the UK.

If this program can be made available as a podcast, I guarantee you people all over the world will download it and listen. The hunger for more information on ME/CFS, on XMRV and particularly on the research at WPI is enormous.

Thank you once again for helping more people become informed about this vital information. This is a tremendous public service.

Sincerely,
(creekfeet)

leelaplay

Thanks so for this creekfeet!

I sent the following in

feedback@kunr.org

Dear Mr. Erwine,

Thank you so much for having Mike Hillerby from the WPI as a guest on your show this morning. I'm one of the people who found out about the program too late to listen in.

If this program can be made available as a podcast, and/or if a transcript of it can be posted on your site, I know there will be enormous interest in it. As a fellow person with ME/CFS wrote to you, "The hunger for more information on ME/CFS, on XMRV and particularly on the research at WPI is enormous.

Thank you once again for helping more people become informed about this vital information. This is a tremendous public service."

Sincerely,

xxx

Stone

I can't find it anywhere on the link. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I clicked Listen Now but it was about something else entirely.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've emailed too:

Dear Mr Erwine,

Thank you so much for your interview with Mr Hillerby from the Whittemore Peterson Institute today. I read on an internet message board for people with CFS about the interview and joined the broadcast online from here in the UK.

I wondered if you could make the interview available as a podcast? I'd love to hear the rest of the interview and I'm sure the many people with CFS who will now read about it on the bulletin boards would like to hear it too.

The latest on XMRV research is of compelling interest to those of us with CFS and we are desperate for news, particularly from the WPI.

Thanks again for your broadcast. I hope you'll continue to cover the story.

Sincerely,

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I can't find it anywhere on the link. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I clicked Listen Now but it was about something else entirely.

Hi Stone - I'm afraid you've missed the WPI broadcast - the "listen now" gets you a live feed from the station. We're emailing Mr Erwine to request that the show be put out as a podcast so that people can hear the recording any time.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Just sent an e-mail = was it Irwin or Erwine? I typed the latter, anyway too late now......

Stone

"Hi Stone - I'm afraid you've missed the WPI broadcast - the "listen now" gets you a live feed from the station. We're emailing Mr Erwine to request that the show be put out as a podcast so that people can hear the recording any time."

Coolio! Thanks for doing that :Retro smile: A big help. :thumbsup:

creekfeet

Sockfeet
"Erwine" is correct. Thanks all for joining in. Also we should watch WPI site for news of an international symposium there in Reno, in a couple weeks. Worldwide top scientists by invitation only attending. Hope some good news might come out of that!

eric_s

Also we should watch WPI site for news of an international symposium there in Reno, in a couple weeks. Worldwide top scientists by invitation only attending. Hope some good news might come out of that!
Wow... To me it seems as if things are heating up now. Like a space shuttle on the launch pad and we're about down to "3". Soon the engines will ignite and what we have seen up to now will have been absolutely nothing yet. We will have to shut our eyes and hold our ears :tongue:
I feel things are coming together now, the Alter paper, the Bateman paper of which we don't know at which stage it is but might be pretty far, the upcoming international workshop on XMRV in Bethesda, the symposium in Reno (will McClure and Wessely be invited?;)).
I might be wrong of course... but the feeling is certainly better now than at some points before.
Now i have to listen to the podcast...

leelaplay

o we should watch WPI site for news of an international symposium there in Reno, in a couple weeks. Worldwide top scientists by invitation only attending. Hope some good news might come out of that!

Hi cf,

Thanks so for spearheading us asking for a podcast. I love how quickly they were responsive to our emails!

I've tried to find the part where they talked about this. Have actually tried to listen to the whole thing. But I didn't find it. But kept on blurring out and not always catching that I was doing that. Listening to anything complex, especially without visual support, basically doesn't work for me.

Do you, or anyone, have any idea where abouts in the 52 minutes Mike said thatt?

thanks so

ps -I tried to PM you, but your box is full

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Sorry, I don't know where exactly he said it. I tried to listen for it but didn't catch it myself when I listened to the podcast. Anyhow I know he mentioned it because someone else heard it too, and she shortly thereafter from WPI people that the symposium will happen soon but that it is invitation only, but there will be information about it on their site. That's all I've heard. I'm sure whoever sees that info first on their site will post it here somewhere so we should all know soon.