• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WPI USA XMRV testing/study--IT HAS STARTED

Rrrr

My apologies if this is already a thread elsewhere on this site...

I got the call today!!! WPI has hired a Phlebotomy/blood drawing company to collect my blood and that of many of my cfs friends in MA. the company called me today: we all got the call today!! (3 of my CFS friends.) the blood drawing company is sending us all kits that are due to arrive at our doors on thursday. then i have to go get it drawn at some designated lab sites (don't know which yet), then fedex picks it up and overnights it to WPI. one friend is bedridden and they said a visiting nurse or Phlebotomist can draw the blood.

Tammy, who is making the calls for the Phlebotomy company did not know about CFS/XMRV. I told her all about it. She was amazed. She also said that the WPI is giving her new names to call each day. She guesses there are 300 from across the USA.

has anyone else gotten the call today?

Rrrr

I just was on the WPI UK testing/study thread and at first read on post #62 and #63 that they (in the UK) will get their individual test results. But then read (thanks to fred's post) that, no, they won't get their individual test results until judy mikovits gets the results published in a journal. this is what fred's post said:

See post #384 from jace:
"The results will not go to patients until her paper has been accepted in a medical journal. She will however, release some figures (i.e. %) from the Ashford draws when the bloods have been analysed."

hmmmmmm. i wonder if the same is true for the US. i guess i have to just email judy. i hate to bother her... but i really want to know if i'll know my test results.

rrrr

Adam

My apologies if this is already a thread elsewhere on this site...

I got the call today!!! WPI has hired a Phlebotomy/blood drawing company to collect my blood and that of many of my cfs friends in MA. the company called me today: we all got the call today!! (3 of my CFS friends.) the blood drawing company is sending us all kits that are due to arrive at our doors on thursday. then i have to go get it drawn at some designated lab sites (don't know which yet), then fedex picks it up and overnights it to WPI. one friend is bedridden and they said a visiting nurse or Phlebotomist can draw the blood.

Tammy, who is making the calls for the Phlebotomy company did not know about CFS/XMRV. I told her all about it. She was amazed. She also said that the WPI is giving her new names to call each day. She guesses there are 300 from across the USA.

has anyone else gotten the call today?

Rrrr. You can't apologise for posting good news!

I'm so glad another study is under way. Glad for all my PR friends who are in it. We got a little problem with a volcano right now. Actually I think the volcano is a metaphor. Or it should be a mountain? Anyway, the WPI, what was it some called them sneeringly recently, a little lab in Reno or something, are moving mountains right now whilst others fiddle.

Best of luck to all concerned.

fred

The game is afoot
hmmmmmm. i wonder if the same is true for the US. i guess i have to just email judy. i hate to bother her... but i really want to know if i'll know my test results. rrrr

UK people will receive their results after a paper of the study has been published. The results will go direct to patients and not to GPs. I also wonder if this will be the same in the US and if there are any research ethics rules that might mean studies have to be handled differently to the UK.

sproggle

Jan
First I've heard of this study, definitely good news :victory:

Especially if Iceland &it's silly volcanoe continues to prevent UK blood draws.. :Retro mad:
Been busy with campaign stuff so might just be out the loop, do we know anything about this study?

Jan x

Rrrr

judy emailed back right away after i thanked her and asked if we'd hear about our results.

"Yes . We will tell you if there is evidence of XMRV infection!
Thanks not to me but to Katy and Debbie who make it all happen!"

YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ukxmrv

Rrrr,

Did you check to see who the results will go back to first? Will they go through your doctor first and then to you or straight to you? Did they ask for your doctors details.

The only reason I am mentioning this is that I participated in a USA study a while back. They told me that although I would get the results they had to go through my doctor first. They were amazed when they looked at the UK legal side and saw that they didn't have to do that for patients here.

Just an idea as that requirement may have changed over time in the USA.

So glad to hear that your USA study has started as well. You can keep the UK group company!

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Does anyone know what the US study is testing for? Apologies if its already been posted, but I can't remember.

Rrrr

i emailed judy again, asking what test will be done. she wrote this:

"all 4! You get the cadillac version!"

god, i love her!

i did not ask who the test results go to. i did not give her or the phlebotomy company my doctor's info, so i assume it goes to us, the study participants. that is what Cooperative Diagnostics did with me when I did their XMRV test a few months ago (my test results were negative, like everyone else, i think..?)

i'm sitting here crying. my life is so so hard right now, just about hell, actually. and has been for 20 long years. and this is the first time i feel like someone in the medical community is throwing me a life line. i sure hope i'm xmrv positive.

did anyone else get a call today besides me and my 2 other cfs friends?

Rrrr

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Rrrr,

CONGRATS!!

Did you fill out the questionnaire a long time ago? I'm just wondering if they're working their way through the list in order of receipt.

Does anyone have any insight if people will be contacted to let them know they won't be part of the study for any reason.

Thanks,
Otis

Rrrr

otis,

i did fill out the questionnaire on the WPI website -- twice. once a long time ago and once last week. AND i send my name, address and phone number directly to judy, as she requested it if I wanted to be part of their study (her request came when i was emailing her about something else).

Rrrr

Rrrr

thanks, ukxmrv! and just to be clear, judy mikovits is saying that ALL study participants in the USA will get all 4 tests done (not just me, of course).

i think if anyone wants to be in this study, the best route to go is to sign up at the WPI website (fill out their form).
http://www.wpinstitute.org/xmrv/xmrv_trials.html

and/or you can send your name, address and phone either directly to judy mikovits (judym@wpinstitute.org) or the research team at WPI (contact info below). i think judy just forwards the names she gets in her email inbox to the WPI research team (again, contact info below).

Research Program Coordinator
Whittemore Peterson Institute
6600 N. Wingfield Parkway
Sparks, NV 89436
patientinfo@wpinstitute.org

sproggle

Jan
So pleased for you all!

:victory: Congratulations to everyone in the US study, I'm to be tested in the current UK study but god knows when that will happen now with Iceland etc.. really pleased more sufferers are getting tested over the pond, it's great news for us all! :thumbsup:

Pleased you will be finding out your status Rrrr, although it's nerve racking isn't it? :confused:

So I'm now wondering if the study is still open for people to join? &how many people will get tested?? Nosey I know, but need more info lol!

:hug:
Jan xx

P.S. Hopefully no 'acts of god' will get in the way of blood draws!!

dsdmom

I'm in MA - no call for me :(
But, that is so wonderful about your call!!! Let us know how it goes.

Rrrr

Jan: the phlebotomy company representative, Tammy, who called today said she is getting about 50 new participant names a day from judy/WPI, and that she (Tammy) currently had about 300 names to call from all around the country, as of today. i have no idea what their cut off (limit) is.

UK folks: in the UK study, what tests are included? all 4, like the USA test? and in the UK study, how many folks are they testing?

Coincidently, or not so coincdently, i sent up an appt with an infectious disease doctor this week. she has been studying CFS in boston for a decade, but i had never even heard of her! she is at Mass General Hospital, a very respected hospital, and.. guess what? she is currently doing an XMRV study!! but i am too late, so i don't get to get into the study, unfortunately, because i just became a patient of hers this week (and my first appt is in JULY!). (by the way, it was not easy to become her patient. my primary care doctor had to call her office and petition for me to be her patient. and then we had to send her my EBV, CMV and mycoplasma results from 20 years ago. i now understand that she would have also accepted my more recent lyme test results, but i had not known that at the time. in short, she needs proof that you have an infectious disease before she will agree to see you. we are discussing this doctor, dr donna felsenstein, on the phoenix rising thread called: "XMRV study at Mass General Hospital in Boston" -- the link is here: http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sh...eral-Hospital-in-Boston&highlight=felsenstein

anyway, i bring this up because i think a lot of us who will be tested for xmrv thru this WPI study may want to find infectious disease doctors NOW, so we will be ready to go to them with our (hopefully positive) xmrv test results.

rrrr

leaves

Hmm unfortunately at this point drs can't really do anything with your xmrv positiveness...