• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WPI ethics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily

*Believe*
Veritas Aequitas = truth is justice

How can you be so sure of your claims? What is your motivation?

oerganix

Veritas, if you really want to "follow the money", suggest you check out this thread: http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?3371-Expose-UNUM-by-BBC-Scotland&p=51972#post51972

Unum is the giant insurance company that operates in UK and US and has funded much of Simon Wesseley's assault on ME as a physical illness and on ME patients, thus creating a potential conflict of interest in every paper he puts his name on. Like the first UK study to try to refute the WPI study.

In the meantime, don't keep us in suspense. Who owns the patent for the reagents WPI used?

And what's the cure the Harvey Whittemore could have bought for his daughter years ago?

kat0465

It's not an attack at all. Wake up people!

I've heard the sob story about the Whittemore's, and how they're in this to help us. Maybe they have the bst of intentions, however Harvey Whittemore built his $2 billion business empire by being a shrewd businessman.

Why solicit funds if you have over $2 billion in assets? If my daugter was sick with CFS, and I had unlimited funds, I would have paid for a cure years ago...

Just a thought Veritas, but maybe it's alll the other peple that are doing the testing that are not doing the right kind of test for a reason. maybe thier On big Pharmas side,if you can make that statement about wpi and the whittemores, you might want to look at the other side of the coin.you know if this is for real( xmrv) theres gonna be some throat cutting to try & patent a reliable test not to mention a drug.so which side is being shady???
I Can't Imagine a parent not wanting thier child to be well, and what purpose would it serve them to Fake an XMRV test.Thier billionairs, so it's not for the Money.
If what you say is true, Yes they should hae been upfront about thier positions at WPI and VIP dx, that makes no sense to me.I will continue to be hopeful till they prove it without a doubt that this isnt a virus.

Wayne

Sheer Lunacy

instead of following the XMRV bandwagon like sheeple, please educate yourselves. .... Our world is driven by capitalism; is it so strange to think that Harvey Whittemore is not? Yes he has a personal interest, but a tiger doesn't change his stripes...

Sounds like sheer lunacy to me (insulting lunacy no less). Have you considered going over to the ProHealth board? Some of them love this kind of stuff. Over there, they'll do just about anything to tear somebody down; and love using some of the most nonsensical logic in the process.

Lily

*Believe*
Sounds like sheer lunacy to me (insulting lunacy no less). Have you considered going over to the ProHealth board? Some of them love this kind of stuff. Over there, they'll do just about anything to tear somebody down; and love using some of the most nonsensical logic in the process.

Wayne, lol, I should have thought of that!

kat0465

I've been sick for over 20 years. You don't need to tell me about the mistreatment we've all received. That is why I think this is important; instead of following the XMRV bandwagon like sheeple, please educate yourselves. I've read Osler's Web 4 times. I know all too well the tragedies of this illness. But that doesn't mean I will blindly follow the Whittemores because they produced a "discovery". Please do your homework about all involved. Our world is driven by capitalism; is it so strange to think that Harvey Whittemore is not? Yes he has a personal interest, but a tiger doesn't change his stripes...

not being Snotty, but i dont think anyone here is following blindly like sheep! yes were all excited, i too have been sick about 20 years now, my 20's and30's are shot to hell, and now in my 40's im on he downhill slide. but i havent given up
i still go to my dr. and stilll do countless exhausting hours on this damn computer, desperately looking for something to make me well.
i dont just look at WPI, XMRV and i think we all do that.
it's just one more piece of the Puzzle, that we will have to see if it fits. Promising drugs are swept under the rug every day, if we get well, they dont make $$$ i agree with the post on here 99 out of 100 will gut you for a dollar!!
i'd trust a person with a sick child, who is trying desperately to find a cure. before i would trust any drug co. and i think the docs at WPI really speak for them selves, they work exhaustng hours to try & help us. and i bet thier sure not rich from doing it.

dannybex

It's not an attack at all. Wake up people!

I've heard the sob story about the Whittemore's, and how they're in this to help us. Maybe they have the bst of intentions, however Harvey Whittemore built his $2 billion business empire by being a shrewd businessman.

Why solicit funds if you have over $2 billion in assets? If my daugter was sick with CFS, and I had unlimited funds, I would have paid for a cure years ago...

Flipping your argument around, are you actually suggesting they purposely kept their daughter ill so they could make more money down the road? :confused:

Andrea became so ill after her vaccinations that she lost three organs. Even if some people have recovered (which is very rare), do you actually believe they haven't tried everything they could to help their own daughter?

I don't get it.

d.

A

anne

If my daugter was sick with CFS, and I had unlimited funds, I would have paid for a cure years ago...

I think we've heard this one before here....

dannybex

Excellent Wayne.

dannybex

Actually, I think you might be right. I did my homework and found out that Dr Peterson is a Freemason, and Harvey Whittemore is the Grand Poobah of the Illuminati.

They want to take over the world....look out!!!!

Good one...or two! :)

kurt

Actually, I think you might be right. I did my homework and found out that Dr Peterson is a Freemason, and Harvey Whittemore is the Grand Poobah of the Illuminati.
They want to take over the world....look out!!!!
'Sheeple'...come on.....seriously.

Veritas Aequitas = truth is justice
How can you be so sure of your claims? What is your motivation?

MODERATOR COMMENT - PLEASE do not post insults, even if you believe they are deserved. Everyone has the right to speak their mind here, even someone posting an unpopular view. Disagree with the points being made and state your evidence only, no name calling, etc. Thanks.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Got it. I just couldn't help myself. :innocent1:

I think it would also be appropriate for Veritas to be informed of the forum rules by a moderator. He has broken several of them in this thread.

I don't mean this to be rude to you Kurt. For the record I have always appreciated your moderating style, and your impartial posts on all subjects.

And I was expecting to get modded on my comments here, it just seemed too funny to pass up.

Wayne

No Reprimand Necessary

MODERATOR COMMENT - PLEASE do not post insults, even if you believe they are deserved. Everyone has the right to speak their mind here, even someone posting an unpopular view. Disagree with the points being made and state your evidence only, no name calling, etc. Thanks.

With all due respect Kurt, I don't believe I posted any personal insults. Nor did I call this poster a name. I commented on his comments. He's the one who insultingly called us "sheeple". Where's his/her reprimand?

cfs since 1998

The posts you quoted were hardly personal insults, but calling us sheeple sure is! Sounds like a double standard to me.

dannybex

I think it would also be appropriate for Veritas to be informed of the forum rules by a moderator. He has broken several of them in this thread.

I don't mean this to be rude to you Kurt. For the record I have always appreciated your moderating style, and your impartial posts on all subjects.

And I was expecting to get modded on my comments here, it just seemed too funny to pass up.

That's what I took these comments as...just joking around...not personal insults or attacks.

kurt

With all due respect Kurt, I don't believe I posted any personal insults. Nor did I call this poster a name. I commented on his comments. He's the one who insultingly called us "sheeple". Where's his/her reprimand?

The posts you quoted were hardly personal insults, but calling us sheeple sure is! Sounds like a double standard to me.

OK, I totally missed the sheeple comment being an insult. So now I feel duly reprimanded :eek::eek::eek:

MODERATOR COMMENT- Veritas please read the forum rules. There were some insults in your remarks and that is not allowed on this forum.

Wayne

Unreprimanded

OK, I totally missed the sheeple comment being an insult. So now I feel duly reprimanded :eek::eek::eek:

Hey Kurt,

I don't think any of us were trying to reprimand you. If you felt that way, please consider yourself "unreprimanded". :Retro smile::Retro wink:

I'm off to bed. Hope everybody has a good night.

Wayne

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Just a little anecdote to share with you.

I've been living in France for 4 years now and have seen my local GP exactly three times. The reason being is that I've had 20 years of dealing with GPs in the UK and with only frustration as a result. Secondly the cliche is that the French are the world's biggest pill poppers and French GPs just love to dish out drugs. However I needed to inform my GP of my illness as he is my primary (only) medical practitioner.

The first time I saw him, I introduced myself and handed him a summary of my symptoms over the years. He read them and told me that in France, they don't believe in 'this illness' but suggested I should try antidepressants -just on the off chance. I agreed (not good to be seen refusing treatment) but told him of my reservations as I wasn't depressed and had problems with prescription drugs. A bad start and I assumed that I was dealing with the usual medical bureacrat. Second visit I gave him a copy of the WPI Science paper which at least he agreed to read. I hadn't picked up the prescription for antidepressants and told him so. He didn't seem too upset by this.

Third visit he had printed off a paper for me (in French) on Fibromyalgia and what the paper termed 'idiopathic fatigue syndrome'. I tried to explain that FM wasn't my problem. He was very adamant that I should read his paper though as it was 'completely independent of any drug company bias'. I read it and it was a meta analysis of all the commonly used pharmaceutical treatments for FM, excluding any results of studies funded by pharma companies. The results were enlightening. No compound gave results significantly better than placebo and once side effects were considered, none were recommended. The recommended treatment was that patients should try to live within their limits - in other words pacing. In return I gave him a French copy of the Canadian Consensus Document which impressed him but he was still concerned about pharma input into it. The doc then asked if there was anything else he could prescribe; When I declined he agreed saying that my body had enough to cope with without adding in drugs.

My French bureacrat GP turns out to be an anti-Pharma radical. Which is great - shows he has an open mind, BUT :

Either his English or my French is going to have to improve a lot before I can explain to him that in the case of ME - 'big Pharma' isn't the enemy. We're being screwed by governments and their agencies who refuse to take us seriously or give us any treatment. Ironically, 'big-Pharma' may be our only hope of salvation.

So I'm not too concerned over any suggested conflicts of interest as far as physiological research is concerned. If it takes the profit motive to crack this illness then so be it. Certainly appealing for understanding, justice or to peoples better natures hasn't got us very far in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.