• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WPI and Cerus Confirm Inactivation of XMRV by the INTERCEPT Blood System

Frickly

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/whittemore-peterson-institute-and-cerus-confirm-inactivation-of-xmrv-by-the-intercept-blood-system-2010-05-18?reflink=MW_news_stmp

CONCORD, Calif. & RENO, Nev., May 18, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease (WPI) and Cerus Corporation /quotes/comstock/15*!cers/quotes/nls/cers (CERS 2.90, +0.04, +1.40%) announced positive results from a study demonstrating the efficacy of the INTERCEPT Blood System to inactivate XMRV, a human retrovirus, in donated platelet components. After sample platelet components were inoculated with XMRV, the infected blood components were treated with INTERCEPT, a system that inactivates pathogens in donated blood. Following treatment, no evidence of infectious XMRV was detected in blood samples. The study results have been submitted for presentation at the AABB Annual Meeting in October.

Alexia

What is this " INTERCEPT Blood System" ? sorry for my ignorance. These medical things are so confusing for me!

Frickly

Is this the study that was submitted and accepted for publication? I wonder if this is why Annette and Donnica Moore will be on Nevada Newsmakers today?

Alexia, The article says the following about Intercept blood system: "The INTERCEPT systems for platelets and plasma are used by over 40 blood centers in Europe, Russia and the Middle East. The INTERCEPT Blood System is not yet approved for use in the United States."

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Thanks for posting. I wonder if this technology could be used somehow to clean our blood of XMRV down the road, although it would still be in our cells, it may give our immune system a leg up?

omerbasket

And perhaps it would prevent us from infecting other people with our blood...
I guess it's not possible, but I would still like to hear the scientists here about that...

omerbasket

It seems another thread on this exact subject was opened in the research forum here. Can these to threads be joined together?

Kati

Patient in training
Cute Adams! But since you have poker experience, then maybe I should listen carefully to your message here ?

eric_s

I wanted to post that news too, but then i saw you had already posted it.

I think this is very interesting, to me it means even more than the news of the German study.

It's great to hear that such companies work with the WPI because it proves the credibility of the WPI and thus the credibility of their initial finding (~98% of PWCFS being XMRV positive). The fact that we have Cerus and the WPI doing a study where blood samples are infected with XMRV, then treated and after this are found to be XMRV negative in some way means that the WPI's method of detecting XMRV is now at least to some degree validated by someone other than the WPI. And a profit oriented company would not let the WPI get away with doing bad work. They would sue them. So we can be pretty sure that the results of that study can be trusted.

Eric

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Yeah, I like the idea of WPI hooking up with entities that have "corporation" in their names. There's nothing like a bunch of capitalists with dollar signs in their eyes to make things happen!
:D:D:Retro tongue::D:Retro tongue::Retro tongue::D:D:Retro tongue::D:Retro tongue::Retro tongue::D:D:D

Frickly

I asked Lainie Corten, Director of Global Communications and Marketing for Cerus the following question:

"Lainie, do you know what the next step will be? Will Cerus and WPI seek approval of the Intercept system in the U.S.?"

I received the following reply:

"Cerus and WPI collaborated to investigate XMRV inactivation. Cerus is solely responsible for the INTERCEPT regulatory approvals. Cerus' next step in the United States is to reach agreement with the FDA regarding a defined clinical pathway which can support or lead to licensure. These discussions have been underway for some time, but I'm afraid I can't provide an estimate of when the product will become available.
Lainie Corten
Director, Global Communications & Marketing
Cerus Corporation"

It will be interesting to see what happens next. Now....the pressure is on. :)

paddygirl

I read some time ago on one of the links to a science type publication that they had come up with a blood cleansing machine. Sounds a bit like dialysis, the article was next to one about CFS but not specifically about CFS. Imagine, drug free treatments.