• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Would positive xmrv = a DIAGNOSIS?

I know that some are hesitant to ask their insurance to pay for the lab tests and others are afraid to post their xmrv test results. I think this fear is either fear of being labeled with the XMRV diagnosis or fear of falling through the cracks because of no diagnosis.

At this point I don't think that a positive xmrv result would make a person's diagnosis XMRV. Would it be considered just another piece of the puzzle, with XMRV being considered an opportunistic infection? Any thoughts on this?

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
It's more what insurance companies and society would do to me based on what happened to people who were HIV+ in the early days. We are all in different positions and will have different reasons of course.

A few years ago I had a major problem with an insurance company and will seriously think before putting anything serious on my medical records. ME is already there.

When I was physically able to work ME was considered a "joke" at times and I remember the disparaging comments from people at work and in social situations. If I was ever to work again I'd not release this to people.

There have been times as well (when ME being infectious had publicity) where people have pulled back from me - no always in a nice or tactful way.

I remember my early HIV+ friends didn't want to kiss or hug me (for their own safety) and I quite understand that.

I'm in the UK.