• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Worse or better after menopause?

Pyrrhus

My ME/CFS symptoms always followed a pattern of being dramatically worse 5-6 days before ovulation (in addition to getting worse with high emotional/physical stress).

Related discussion:

Onset Patterns and Course of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Chu et al., 2019)
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...hronic-fatigue-syndrome-chu-et-al-2019.84716/
Pregnancy, menopause, and menstrual cycles exacerbated many women's symptoms.

P.S. And a comment from another discussion:
Another example of a leaky blood-brain-barrier occurs in menstruation.
Right before, and during menstruation, the lower level of estrogen causes the blood-brain-barrier to become slightly more permeable. Some have speculated that this might contribute to pre-menstrual syndrome.

jjxx

Perimenopause and menopause made it worse in my case, with new symptoms arising and some old ones worsening, simply because more nutrients are depleted then needed with age, during the period of hormonal change regardless of pre-menstruation, perimenopause or menopause, as well as during infection, which are all nutrient-costly events.
Everything we need for life such as seratonin, melatonin, norepinephrine, stomach acid, blood cells, estrogen, progesterone....are all made from scratch with nutrients we digest and ingest. You will feel fatigued/ill when you are deficient in any nutrient.
Unfortunately, I am born with multiple genetic variants that I am deficient in everything while fortunately having my symptoms (more than dozens) resolved with right dose of right nutrients at the right time.
Full time biohacking for 7 years, changed my life, no, saved my life.

Last edited: