• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

worse before storms?

Ema

Me too...I think it is related to cortisol. Many animals also experience this phenomenon (I'm thinking of dogs in particular). But many of us with CFS also have endocrine issues, particularly adrenal issues. Once I started replacing cortisol, my crashes before storms vastly improved to the point where sometimes I don't even notice a storm is coming anymore. I would highly recommend a saliva cortisol test if you have not done so already.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2009/04/30/why-does-pain-get-worse-when-a-storm-is-coming/

sianrecovery

The doctor I saw in Arizona a few weeks ago said his patients tended to worsen as storm systems came in, or as a result of atmospheric changes, he attributed this to the impact of pressure changes on vascular flow

mellster

Marco
This is not confined to CFS/FM/ME, a lot of other conditions also significantly fluctuate with changes in weather and atmospheric pressure, like headaches/migraines and rheumatic pain.

Googsta

Doing Well
Yes. I was unable to attend an appointment yesterday due to severe crash. We have had several days of storms including last night & today.

My husband has a spinal cord injury. It was explained to him by an anaesthetist that nerves need time to adjust to changes in atmospheric pressure, which is why so many peoples bung knee hurts before it rains ;)

For me it's only a little worse before and during? I actually feel better once the rain has washed down the trees and flowers. The air feels much nicer to breathe. Then when it stops and the sun is out, the allergies hit hard.

LaurieL

I had always been told it had something to do with positive and negative ion ratio. So I went looking for a link that sounded similar to what I remember. I am a Tesla fan, so here's a link...

http://www.breathofsalt.com/posnegions.htm

.......Nikola Tesla (July 10, 1856 c. January 7, 1943) was a Serbian-American inventor, physicist, mechanical engineer and electrical engineer. Tesla is recognized among the most accomplished scientists of the late 19th and early 20th century. His patents and theoretical work form the basis of modern alternating current electric power (AC) systems, including the polyphase power distribution system and AC motor, with which he helped usher in the Second Industrial Revolution.

Tesla experimented with electromagnetic flux and studied the earth's gravitational field. During his research he discovered that the ionization of the atmosphere would alter when it was charged by radio wave transmissions in the low frequency range of 10 to 80 hertz. Tesla also discovered that he could cause both positive and negative ionization of the atmosphere by manipulating the radio frequency. Further studies indicated that with positive ionization, people and animals became tired and lethargic and with negative ionization the effect was one of feeling active and energetic.

Ions are floating in the air around us all of the time and have either negative or positive charges. Changes in their concentrations or in the ratio of positively to negatively charged molecules can have remarkable effects on plants and animals. It is known in science that ion depletion is the source of a wide range of human health problems, both mental and physical.

These air ions are important to you because if they have a high proportion of negative ions in the clusters you will feel lively, uplifted and enthusiastic. Too many positive ions in the clusters will have you feeling depressed, lethargic and full of aches, pains and complaints.

It is estimated that there are normally 1,500 to 4,000 ions per cubic centimeter. Negative ions are exceedingly mobile and the Earth's surface has a negative charge; therefore, negative ions are repelled from the Earth. This repulsion creates a normal ratio of positive to negative ions in the range of twelve to ten. Normally, more positive than negative ions exist.

Negative ions are exceedingly beneficial for a person's metabolism as a means of enhancing human behavior. They act in a complex mechanism to bring about hormone and biochemical reactions in the body and brain. It is impossible to get an overdose of negative ions, which act like pure water in washing away dirty poisons. Generally, the more negative ions you are exposed to, the better and more uplifted you feel.

Positive ions or the lack of negative ions may cause serotonin hyperfunction syndrome or "irritation syndrome" and it involves sleeplessness, irritability, tension, migraine, nausea, heart palpitations, hot flashes with sweating or chills, tremor and dizziness. The elderly become depressed, apathetic and extremely fatigued.

Human mood disorders (depressions) are effectively treated with drugs which specifically block the re-uptake of serotonin into the presynaptic axon terminal, for example fluoxetine (Prozac) and Zoloft. This suggests that positive ions may play a part in this condition and the condition may be safely treated with negative ion therapy.

Just as good benefits are provided by immersing yourself in negative ions, bad effects come from breathing air with a high density of positive ions. Before a storm the positive ion concentration becomes more than three times the amount of negative ions. If the barometer is falling in anticipation of a storm, brace yourself. Adults, children, and animals alike react testily to such bad weather, for ahead is the kind of day that may leave you most prone to illness or accident, stupid mistakes and irrational anger. Simply, positive ions are responsible. The full moon increases positive ion ratios, which accounts for the strange and aggressive behavior noted by police and medical services. Studies show that 75% of the population is noticeably and adversely affected by positive ion ratios, while increased negative ions tend to have a calming influence on these same people.

There is an impressive amount of evidence that connects low barometric pressure before storms with erratic behavior. This is a time where the positive ions in the air outnumber the negative ions by a ratio of over three to one. More suicide attempts take place, greater numbers and more serious accidents occur on the highways and in factories, and an elevated incidence of fainting spells seem to beset people. An analysis of the records of some 2000 public school students showed that their "conduct" marks sagged noticeably before a storm........

See the link for more info.

Laurie