• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Working the Night Shift?

I work from home and my hours are from 11PM to 9AM. I then sleep til about 5-6 PM. Does anyone else have a similar schedule and have you noticed it affecting your CFS symptoms positively or negatively?

*GG*

Do you think you would do worse on a day shift? Have you ever done the cortisol/saliva testing? i have done that a few times, and I am often low in morning, high at night. I often wonder if a shift such as that would be easier with this illness, but it wasn't an option for me at my old job. Probably taking years off of our lives by working with this illness as it is, I worked for over a decade while ill. Not that I want to live foreever, especially if I don't regain more of my health back!

GG

PS Hope you get some feedback on this thread, would be interested in hearing of others experiences.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i have done 20yrs of rotating shift work(18yrs old when started), 13yrs prior to cfs. I never realised, thats 7 years with cfs. The last few years working day and afternoon shifts, no nights. I have had a few short breaks during this time and a 6-9month break 3-4 yrs after cfs onset. I have had many sick days from work purely out of lack of sleep.

I think its played a part in buggering my sleep up(here i am at 3am typing this). I cant say i have a definite pattern other then i feel better in the afternoons and early part of night. I do think alot is a cfs thing which makes it harder for the body to bounce back to a normal routine. I use sleep meds to fit into a routine for work as well as just generally needing sleep. I feel that if i didnt use sleep meds that my body clock would have me sleep between 3-5am to 9-11am.

My thoughts for my situation are that the shift work has made my sleep worse but then i have met alot of people here with funky sleep patterns like mine and never done shift work. The hypothalamus in the brain controls alot of important functions such as sleep, hormones etc, i think for many of us with sleep/insomnia etc, this part of the brain has been damaged due to the cfs/me/infections ??

Another thing i almost forgot. The last few years i have done the odd night shift which i have managed to get through ok but trying to recover from them has been extremly hard, unable to sleep(during the day) much at all after being awake all night, well over 24hrs. It has taken me several days to get back to my normal. If i was forced to work nights again i think that would be the end of me???

Back