• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Work at home website I found

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Sometimes people here ask about how people are managing to work. Many of us cannot manage a job right now but I did find this website that lists a lot of work at home call center job opportunities.

Of course, if you are trying for disability or SSDI I don't think it is advised to try working.

There is one on the list #28 that even hires disabled people but they need to be "highly skilled" with most positions requiring a ..."college degree and business experience..."

If you go to the very bottom of the page it looks like there are many more opportunities for other types of work at home opportunities listed in the boxes.

Also the webpage says it was "Updated November 20, 2019" so I'm guessing some of these opportunities may have changed but the few I clicked on still looked like they were actively recruiting although one was not in my state.

Anyway, maybe this will be of help to someone.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/work-at-home-call-center-jobs-3542475

Edit: I did not see anything that looked like it could be a scam however, I would probably avoid the two that did require a new hire to pay for their own background check. And well, as in all things in life, best to be cautious.

Last edited:

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Call centers are their own kind of hell, to make decent money you have to be a robot and you are often subject to reality denying expectations. Also known as metrics, management use them to wring more work out of you by treating you worse and worse until you either crack and leave or are fired.
There are some call centers better than others but its an industry that is about working you to the bone for maximum profit. Your health doesn't matter to them as you are replaceable and often treated as cattle.

And the cognitive load of constant customer interactions where you are supposed to be the expert while on a clock while management breathes down your neck for taking too long is extra bad with ME/CFS brain. And you end up dreaming about taking calls in your sleep

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
There are some call centers better than others but its an industry that is about working you to the bone for maximum profit. Your health doesn't matter to them as you are replaceable and often treated as cattle.

I know they can be like that but I worked at an answering service for 16.5 years. It was bad at times but it wasn't a bad job. My company was family owned until the owners retired and sold the company. Even then I had the best benefits I've had in any job and still got to work from home.

All that being said, I did not like my job but it gave me an income. Something I do not have right now. If I could do it again, I probably would just because I need to pay my bills.

That's actually why I was looking but I know where I am with this disease right now and that is not a job I could do again at present even for some of the 2-6 hour per week listings.

I just posted in case someone else was in a better place with their disease and needing some income. Work at home is still very helpful. I could not have held onto my job as long as I did if I had not been able to work it from home.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I know they can be like that but I worked at an answering service for 16.5 years. It was bad at times but it wasn't a bad job. My company was family owned until the owners retired and sold the company. Even then I had the best benefits I've had in any job and still got to work from home.

All that being said, I did not like my job but it gave me an income. Something I do not have right now. If I could do it again, I probably would just because I need to pay my bills.

That's actually why I was looking but I know where I am with this disease right now and that is not a job I could do again at present even for some of the 2-6 hour per week listings.

I just posted in case someone else was in a better place with their disease and needing some income. Work at home is still very helpful. I could not have held onto my job as long as I did if I had not been able to work it from home.
I understand but with ME a call center would be even worse because it would use up cognitive functioning that we are already rationing. I've had many people say how bad can it be your just talking to people. Once someone has done it for a few months then they understand.
But its seductive and once you leave and time has passed you often think it was not that bad, then when you try again the reality comes back to you. Painfully.
That said i'm sure we could all use more income but call center work gets to you in ways you don't realize until your back out of it. And with ME if it causes cognitive decline we may not be able to get that back.