• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

With what to start if I have food and supplement intolerance

This just happened 2 months ago after an infection and subsequent course of amoxicillin for 8 days.

Since then I developed ocasional rashes in my body, itching, restlessness, headache, migraine, vertigo, fatigue, moodiness, tingling in Arms and legs, congestion, sinus issues (without mucus), vision problems,brain fog, insomnia and so on. This sympthoms fluctuate. They are not constant. One day I might feel better and the other one I do not

There are other weird sympthoms also, i get super horny sometimes, irritable, and manic episodes sometimes.

As I can see. This fits mcas pretty well. But I do not have it tested, I did horewer a test for my IgE levels. And they were super elevated. Wich according to my inmunologyst does suggest histamine issues

So i come here asking for help. How do I take my first steps into improving?

I react to anything I ingest in general. It's like the mere process of digesting triggers me. But some foods make it much worse.

for example for some things I do react for two hours and that's it. For other things I react for days.

I cannot take certain supplements I used to (wich I would like to be able to because they really helped me)

And food wise I barely eat due to the constant reaction I develop. Wich is just a roulette of sympthoms hours later. I would love advice on eating nutricious food with ss little histamine reactions as possible.

Also on taking medicine. I don't know what to take. Im very afraid in general of medicine. So some tips here would help a lot.

Also on life tips to improve in general and live somewhat fine.

Thank you :)

Wishful

Since you don't know yet what you are reacting too, forget nutricious and go for safe. Do you react to pure sugar? Cornstarch has pretty much everything else removed, so it's like pure sugar, except has some texture if you make it into pancakes (try mixing it with boiling water, for a better texture). If you can eat those without triggering a reaction, then you can add other simple foods one at a time and make a list of what to avoid.

You might get a reaction even from pure sugar or starch; I did, and I believe it was from triggering insulin, which in turn has various effects, such as increasing tryptophan transport into the brain, where activated glial cells might turn it into neurotoxic kynurenines. For me, there was a minute delay from starting a quickly-digested meal and the flare-up of my symptoms (which included a temperature rise of a few tenths). That flare-up was blocked (or maybe delayed and spread out) by taking BCAAs with the meal, which blocks TRP transport.

ljimbo423

This just happened 2 months ago after an infection and subsequent course of amoxicillin for 8 days.

Sorry I don't have experience with food sensitivities. But I might have some insight into why you developed these symptoms after that course of antibiotics.

ME/CFS has a high prevalence of gut dysbiosis and leaky gut. There are a huge amount of mast cells in and around the gut. If you developed a leaky gut from the antibiotics you took, this could be what's causing your problems.

There are toxins, specifically something called Lipopoysaccharides (LPS), that get into the bloodstream from a leaky gut and cause an immune system reaction. Part of that immune reaction can be mast cell activation and that can cause food sensitivities and many of the other symptoms you have.

Antibiotics are well known to cause both dysbiosis of the gut and a leaky gut. So when you want to look for the root cause of your sensitivities and other symptoms, I recommend starting with gut dysbiosis and leaky gut.

Pyrrhus

This fits mcas pretty well.

Many of the symptoms you mention (headache, migraine, vertigo, moodiness, tingling in Arms and legs, vision problems, irritable, and manic) are not typical MCAS symptoms. They sound more like neurological symptoms.

So, there might be something else going on?

Hope this helps.

andyguitar

Since then I developed ocasional rashes in my body, itching, restlessness, headache, migraine, vertigo, fatigue, moodiness, tingling in Arms and legs, congestion, sinus issues (without mucus), vision problems,brain fog, insomnia and so on. This sympthoms fluctuate. They are not constant. One day I might feel better and the other one I do not
Some of these symptoms go with migraine. Have you ever been treated for it?

YippeeKi YOW !!

I react to anything I ingest in general.
Oh, @Shen , I'm deeply sympathetic. It's a miserable place to be, and frightening ...

If it's any consolation, I went thru the same thing. I got tired of trying to figure out what was doing what, and I just gradually eliminated pretty much my entire diet, which was already crappy enough without that additional elimination.

I decided at that point to focus on just getting as much protein as possible, which left me with .... cheese. And water. I'm not kidding.

I found that the cheeses that I reacted the least to, and that had the most benefits aside from being low in glutamate and relatively low in histamines were mozzarella string cheese, swiss cheese, and gouda.

I kept my water intake high, for obvious reasons: it filled my stomach and it kept things moving thru my digestive system.
I cannot take certain supplements I used to
At the same time that I had to cut out almost every form of food I'd previously been eating, I also discovered that I was highly reactive to my B-complex supps, which I'd been taking, like, forever. Then I realized that I was reacting to all my gel cap vits, which eliminated Vit D, lecithin, Vit E, an Vit A. So those went. Then it was anything with any relationship to sulfur, so out went selenium methionine.

All that was left that didnt seem to cause extreme distress were calcium, magnesium, and Vit C.

As I read and researched more, I boosted my magnesium considerably and my Vit C.

Later, as other symptoms started spiking uncomfortably, I researched some more and playd endlessly with how I took the magnesium glycinate. This eventually resulted in some major improvements.

I found that taking two larger doses a day did nothing, but breaking it down into 50 mgs every 45-60 min's, depending on how bad the anxiety, heart palpitations, and muscle issues were started helping enormously.

In short I lved pretty much on cheese, water, magnesium and Vit C for over a year before I fine-tuned the magnesium glycinate doses and started improving.

We're all different n terms of what helps and what hards us, but am hoping that this helps you, or at least lets you know that you'r not alone, an that you can survive this.
Also on taking medicine. I don't know what to take. Im very afraid in general of medicine.
I am too. Largely because Drs have no understanding of what we're dealing with, and many of them seem to care less, handing out anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds, antibiotics, whatever, in order to convince themselves that they're actually doing something ....

Unless you have potentially life-threatening issues, I'd avoid prescription meds for now, at least until you rebalance your system.

If you're dealing with something like diabetes, or heart issues, or anything that requires you to stay on the meds that have been prescribed, then you'll have to stick with them for now. Youmay be able to reconsider them with you Dr as you get better.
Also on life tips to improve in general and live somewhat fine.
Tip #1 is STAY FOCUSED ON FINDING WAYS TO GET BETTER. Read as much research as you can endure, then read some more. Know that many of us have fought our way up and out of the nastier elements of this shitty little hacksaw of an illness, and that you can, to. Find threads about aspects of your symptomatology and read thru them, as much at a time as you can manage. Tag anyone who says something that you find either interesting or similar to what you're going thru and ask them questions. They'll be happy to respond. You can tag members by putting an @ in front of their user name, like this: @Shen

Tip #2 is one I know that a lot of members here are tired of hearing me repeat, endlessly: BE GRATEFUL !!! Find something, anything, to be grateful for every day, even if it's only that you weren't in as much pain as the day before, or that you have a roof over your head and a comfortable place to sleep. If you can find more than one thing at a time, tahat's even better. If you have to be grateful for that terrific 4th grade teacher who was so kind and patient with you, the DO IT !!! DO NOT FALL INTO DESPAIR .... I know that there are days when it's hard not to, but despair is a real killer, and I truly believe that it has a direct and quantifiable effect on your body-brain systems, and it will slow if not entirely stop your body's efforts to heal.

Tip #3, FIND DISTRACTIONS, anything that keeps you from sinking into the natural self-pity, misery, and depression that this (and most other chronic illnesses) seems to inevitably promote. Movies. Books if you can manage reading (a lot of us can't focus well enough to read more than 2 or 3 sentences without forgetting what we just read). Video games. TV. Whatever works for you is fine.

There are a lot of really wonderful, distracting, amusing threads on this site that will help shift your focus from yourself and the misery that you're going thru. I'll post a bunch of links to just a few of them for you in another post in a few minutes.

Tip #4, STAY FOCUSED ON KNOWING YOU CAN GET BETTER .... maybe not 100%, and maybe not overnight, but you CAN get better. Accept the 10%, which is an old axiom of DB, my husband. 10% seems hardly worth pursuing, until you consider that if you find something that improves you by 10%, your focus will be that much better, and pretty soon, you'll find another 10% fix. Now you're at 20% improvement, Then another 10%, and you're at 30% better, then another 10% .....etc etc etc, pretty soon, you're at 50 or 60% improved, and life is looking a whole lot better.

Tip #4, KNOW THAT YOU'RE NOT ALONE .... not in your suffering, not in your symptoms, and not alone in your own skin without support. You're here, and things are going to get better.

Onward and upward :rocket::rocket::rocket: !!!

I'll be posting those links to some distractions on this site shortly.

Last edited:
Some of these symptoms go with migraine. Have you ever been treated for it?

Hey sorry for the late response, I have not treated my migraines, I do suffer from constant sinus inflammation without mucus and some headaches, but I really don´t know if I truly have a migraine, if it is, then it must be silenced since I don´t feel that much pain. What would you recommend me?

Oh, @Shen , I'm deeply sympathetic. It's a miserable place to be, and frightening ...

If it's any consolation, I went thru the same thing. I got tired of trying to figure out what was doing what, and I just gradually eliminated pretty much my entire diet, which was already crappy enough without that additional elimination.

I decided at that point to focus on just getting as much protein as possible, which left me with .... cheese. And water. I'm not kidding.

I found that the cheeses that I reacted the least to, and that had the most benefits aside from being low in glutamate and relatively low in histamines were mozzarella string cheese, swiss cheese, and gouda.

I kept my water intake high, for obvious reasons: it filled my stomach and it kept things moving thru my digestive system.

At the same time that I had to cut out almost every form of food I'd previously been eating, I also discovered that I was highly reactive to my B-complex supps, which I'd been taking, like, forever. Then I realized that I was reacting to all my gel cap vits, which eliminated Vit D, lecithin, Vit E, an Vit A. So those went. Then it was anything with any relationship to sulfur, so out went selenium methionine.

All that was left that didnt seem to cause extreme distress were calcium, magnesium, and Vit C.

As I read and researched more, I boosted my magnesium considerably and my Vit C.

Later, as other symptoms started spiking uncomfortably, I researched some more and playd endlessly with how I took the magnesium glycinate. This eventually resulted in some major improvements.

I found that taking two larger doses a day did nothing, but breaking it down into 50 mgs every 45-60 min's, depending on how bad the anxiety, heart palpitations, and muscle issues were started helping enormously.

In short I lved pretty much on cheese, water, magnesium and Vit C for over a year before I fine-tuned the magnesium glycinate doses and started improving.

We're all different n terms of what helps and what hards us, but am hoping that this helps you, or at least lets you know that you'r not alone, an that you can survive this.

I am too. Largely because Drs have no understanding of what we're dealing with, and many of them seem to care less, handing out anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds, antibiotics, whatever, in order to convince themselves that they're actually doing something ....

Unless you have potentially life-threatening issues, I'd avoid prescription meds for now, at least until you rebalance your system.

If you're dealing with something like diabetes, or heart issues, or anything that requires you to stay on the meds that have been prescribed, then you'll have to stick with them for now. Youmay be able to reconsider them with you Dr as you get better.

Tip #1 is STAY FOCUSED ON FINDING WAYS TO GET BETTER. Read as much research as you can endure, then read some more. Know that many of us have fought our way up and out of the nastier elements of this shitty little hacksaw of an illness, and that you can, to. Find threads about aspects of your symptomatology and read thru them, as much at a time as you can manage. Tag anyone who says something that you find either interesting or similar to what you're going thru and ask them questions. They'll be happy to respond. You can tag members by putting an @ in front of their user name, like this: @Shen

Tip #2 is one I know that a lot of members here are tired of hearing me repeat, endlessly: BE GRATEFUL !!! Find something, anything, to be grateful for every day, even if it's only that you weren't in as much pain as the day before, or that you have a roof over your head and a comfortable place to sleep. If you can find more than one thing at a time, tahat's even better. If you have to be grateful for that terrific 4th grade teacher who was so kind and patient with you, the DO IT !!! DO NOT FALL INTO DESPAIR .... I know that there are days when it's hard not to, but despair is a real killer, and I truly believe that it has a direct and quantifiable effect on your body-brain systems, and it will slow if not entirely stop your body's efforts to heal.

Tip #3, FIND DISTRACTIONS, anything that keeps you from sinking into the natural self-pity, misery, and depression that this (and most other chronic illnesses) seems to inevitably promote. Movies. Books if you can manage reading (a lot of us can't focus well enough to read more than 2 or 3 sentences without forgetting what we just read). Video games. TV. Whatever works for you is fine.

There are a lot of really wonderful, distracting, amusing threads on this site that will help shift your focus from yourself and the misery that you're going thru. I'll post a bunch of links to just a few of them for you in another post in a few minutes.

Tip #4, STAY FOCUSED ON KNOWING YOU CAN GET BETTER .... maybe not 100%, and maybe not overnight, but you CAN get better. Accept the 10%, which is an old axiom of DB, my husband. 10% seems hardly worth pursuing, until you consider that if you find something that improves you by 10%, your focus will be that much better, and pretty soon, you'll find another 10% fix. Now you're at 20% improvement, Then another 10%, and you're at 30% better, then another 10% .....etc etc etc, pretty soon, you're at 50 or 60% improved, and life is looking a whole lot better.

Tip #4, KNOW THAT YOU'RE NOT ALONE .... not in your suffering, not in your symptoms, and not alone in your own skin without support. You're here, and things are going to get better.

Onward and upward :rocket::rocket::rocket: !!!

I'll be posting those links to some distractions on this site shortly.

Thanks for the kind message :) I really appreciate it, honestly sometimes I'm so terrified of living like this, its so new and reading some other post here really makes me depressed, because I'm convinced that this will get worse and worse.

I decided to tackle my problem and ask for a GI-MAP to see what is happening on my gut, hope I can find some answers there, and yeah, as you, I suspect sulphur, I have reacted extremely bad consistently to Zinc Sulphate for some reason, and I didn´t know why, last time I took it I was so tired and low blood pressure that I blacked out while showering, after I read about Zinc sulfate, I found that maybe it's the sulfate in the zinc.
This would make sense since I do react to certain things that match high in thiols or sulfates that otherwise would be fine on Low histamine, its really tricky in general to find answers haha.

Fortunately, Maybe it's because I´m more strict with my diet, but I have improved a little on tolerance to food and supplements, I say 20%. My biggest gut related symptoms are a LOT of flatulence and belching after water even, Very Oily stool, and a little constipation (one bowel movement every 2 days)

Thanks again, for the kind message :)

Pyrrhus

My biggest gut related symptoms are a LOT of flatulence and belching after water even, Very Oily stool, and a little constipation (one bowel movement every 2 days)

Sorry to hear about your digestive problems. You surely know this, but your symptoms appear to indicate slow gastrointestinal motility(movement). Slow gastrointestinal motility can lead to food fermenting in the intestines, which produces gas, a situation that sometimes leads to a diagnosis of Small Intestine Bacterial/fungal Overgrowth (SIBO).

In addition, oily stools can be a sign of Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI). The pancreas normally secretes digestive enzymes into the intestines which breaks down fatty food. If your pancreas is not secreting enough enzymes to break down the fatty food, your stools may seem oily and extra smelly. I believe there are some supplemental enzymes that help with EPI, but I don't know much about them.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear about your digestive problems. You surely know this, but your symptoms appear to indicate slow gastrointestinal motility(movement). Slow gastrointestinal motility can lead to food fermenting in the intestines, which produces gas, a situation that sometimes leads to a diagnosis of Small Intestine Bacterial/fungal Overgrowth (SIBO).

In addition, oily stools can be a sign of Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI). The pancreas normally secretes digestive enzymes into the intestines which breaks down fatty food. If your pancreas is not secreting enough enzymes to break down the fatty food, your stools may seem oily and extra smelly. I believe there are some supplemental enzymes that help with EPI, but I don't know much about them.

Hope this helps.
Oh thanks for the info :eek:
I didn't know about the pancreatic insufficiency, do you think that can develop from antibiotic use?

I took the lactulose Test for SIBO, and both Hydrogen and Methane didn't show SIBO (hydrogen was at max on 15 and methane at 8. for diagnosing SIBO it must be at least Hidrogen > 20 and methane > 15) so that left me with Hydrogen-sulfide or candida maybe. I´m still figuring things out, but well, basic sympthoms when I eat something that hits me is headaches, intense fatigue, sinus issues,sleepiness, brain fog and some joint pain.

Pyrrhus

I didn't know about the pancreatic insufficiency, do you think that can develop from antibiotic use?

I've never heard of pancreatic insufficiency being caused by antibiotics.

I suspect sulphur, I have reacted extremely bad consistently to Zinc Sulphate for some reason, and I didn´t know why, last time I took it I was so tired and low blood pressure that I blacked out while showering, after I read about Zinc sulfate, I found that maybe it's the sulfate in the zinc.

A lot of people have reactions to Zinc, too. For me, personally, zinc gives me terrible headaches.

Hope this helps.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I agree with @Pyrrhus ..... I dnt think it can develop from antibiotic use.

But what antibitics will do is destroy your natural microbiome, the bacteria in your gut that contribute to digestion of food as well as creating various nutrients in your gut.

You might want to look into that, but do know that with probiotics, one size DEFINITELY does not fit all, so you'll need to do some research on the various strains of the two main bacterial genuses, Lacto- and Bifido bacteria.
basic sympthoms when I eat something that hits me is headaches, intense fatigue, sinus issues,sleepiness, brain fog and some joint pain.
All of those can be the results of weak or missing gut bacteria ....

Dufresne

almost there...
I'd focus on removing what shouldn't be there (binders and other detox strategies). I'd also make sure my indoor air quality wasn't too bad.

Sulfurs induce detox for me pretty consistently these days and can make me really tired and even give me low blood pressure.