• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Will COVID-19 Lead to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

ljimbo423

I couldn't find this posted anywhere else. Notice the authors, both ME/CFS researchers and clinicians.

Will COVID-19 Lead to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Anthony L. Komaroff1* and Lucinda Bateman2 for the U.S. ME/CFS Clinician Coalition

These are just a couple of quotes from the paper-

What Are the Implications for Practicing Physicians?

Although there now is a literature of over 9,000 peer-reviewed studies of ME/CFS, as identified by NASEM (20), it is our experience that many practicing physicians know little about the illness.

If a wave of new cases that doubles the number of Americans with ME/CFS is about to emerge, we need to increase efforts to prepare physicians to deal with this burden.

A U.S. ME/CFS Clinician Coalition—physicians experienced in the care of people with ME/CFS—has created a website containing useful information1. CDC2 and NIH3 also provide online information.

Conclusion

The COVID-19 pandemic has been a tragedy. It has devastated the health and financial well-being of many people around the world.

An unprecedented effort is underway to understand, prevent and treat the disease, including substantial recent funding to study post-COVID illnesses, in the U.S. and elsewhere.

We should not forget the importance of studying all people who become infected with SARS-CoV-2, even those with only mild initial illnesses, and to study the recovery period and the long-term health consequences of COVID-19.

We need to know how to prevent and treat “long COVID.” What we learn may apply to the prevention and treatment of ME/CFS, as well.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmed.2020.606824/full

Last edited:
Back