• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Will contacting UNUM flag me for a review?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Anyone with experience with UNUM.

I may need to contact them (aka the devil's spawn) to get a benefits letter for some paperwork I have to fill out.

I'm worried that if I contact them it will flag my file and start a review. My last one was I think 2 years ago so I'm probably due but I'm in the process of changing PCP's and now is not the time to deal with that.

I'm thinking they just have a computer that notifies them when a review is due but who knows with them.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I may be able to get away without doing it but just in case I can't.

Thanks

Last edited:

Esther12

No idea - sympathies and best wishes though. If you need the letter, you need the letter, so it's probably not worth thinking about imo.

Esther12

Advice from a position of total ignorance: even if you don't contact them, they're not likely to just forget about you and let you off the hook. If contacting them will help you in a more substantial way, then I'd just do it. I understand the desire to avoid any contact with these people though - it's like prodding a witch.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I understand that. I want to talk to someone who deals with them and is familiar with their system who might be able to tell me how they work in this regard.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I actually have a ton of her links bookmarked but I never saw her talk about this specific thing. I'll go look to see if there is a place to ask a question. Thanks for the additional link.

I'm hoping I can get around it by just providing my monthly statements.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Iquitos A few years ago there was a piece on 60 Minutes about Unum. They had denied benefits to an Opthalmic Surgeon because they said he could work. He had Parkinsons.

They also tried to get California to deny disability benefits but I can't remember the details. There used to be a huge forum about people complaining about Unum and other disability companies. They are the devil's spawn.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Iquitos Thanks for the link to Linda Nee's Q & A. I was able to contact her directly for advice. I'm still going to see if I can just use my monthly statements as I just don't want to deal with them at all. Her blog helped me immensely in how I deal with Unum. I NEVER talk to them on the phone. Someone should give her a medal.

Here's what she said:

"There are many Unum insureds, old and new who need various income guidelines in order to qualify for different things. Claims handlers do not really pay much attention to them and I think a request for assistance would help your claim not hurt. I’d fax over a request that basically says, “I am applying for assistance and need a letter verifying my income.” Done. No other explanation is required. This sort of request is common place and won’t raise any red flags at all."

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Iquitos You know, even though she said it's fine I'm still nauseated thinking about contacted them. The other reason is I'm in the middle of changing my PCP so the only person who really knows what is up is my NP and Unum doesn't like them at all.

Iquitos

I'd be nauseous too, if I needed to contact UNUM. That's what they want -- to make life so stressful their victims give up. Hope you rest up, then suck it up and do what's best for you.

taniaaust1

Her blog helped me immensely in how I deal with Unum. I NEVER talk to them on the phone.

ive been learning that that is probably great advice when doing with any gov dept!

I faxed it last night. Now I want to forget about it. Just talking about it here makes me physically ill. Thanks for the info and support.

sending you a hug. I think I know exactly how you feel. Im currently feeling the same way due to having to deal with my states shocking towards ME/CFS disability service.

I hope it all goes well for you.