• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wii Board for ME/CFS

voner

Oh!

I just remembered a "clinical pearl"… once again -- I hope somebody that was at the meeting might fill in the details on this – or at least verify that this is accurate…

we were discussing the quandary of how to exercise in order to avoid deconditioning (which Susanne said exacerbates the symptoms), but not set off or cause "postexercise malaise"…. Suzanne said she had a discussion with Dr. Bateman and Dr. Bateman had indicated that using “Wii” was having a “transformative” effect on some of her patients…. Suzanne speculated that maybe it was a way to avoid de-conditioning without exacerbation… I remember one Susanne said the word “wii” -- I was thinking – oh! This must be a form of tai chi, or qi gong… but – no!! It's the Nintendo game Wii!!

Okay - how do you like this one??

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Oh!

I just remembered a "clinical pearl"… once again -- I hope somebody that was at the meeting might fill in the details on this – or at least verify that this is accurate…

we were discussing the quandary of how to exercise in order to avoid deconditioning (which Susanne said exacerbates the symptoms), but not set off or cause "postexercise malaise"…. Suzanne said she had a discussion with Dr. Bateman and Dr. Bateman had indicated that using “Wii” was having a “transformative” effect on some of her patients…. Suzanne speculated that maybe it was a way to avoid de-conditioning without exacerbation… I remember one Susanne said the word “wii” -- I was thinking – oh! This must be a form of tai chi, or qi gong… but – no!! It's the Nintendo game Wii!!

Wow - I've seen the TV ads of people playing Wii and it looks really energetic, with people playing Wii tennis etc. - I'm surprised it doesn't trigger PEM. Maybe there are some really low-key games you can play on it? Or maybe you set a really low level of an exercise programme to stop people over-exercising like they might if left to their own devices?

I'm really surprised by this!

dancer

I use Wii Fit Plus - which has a balance board. Just standing and adjusting my balance seems to have helped me with some of the "wobbliness" that has been part of my challenges. There are some gentle stretches, LOW intensity things - and they are all short. So it fits what a physical therapist told me to do - one minute of moving, then several minutes of resting and recovery. I have found it HAS helped me to keep some muscle tone.

We also have Wii Fitness Coach - which isn't as great of a program, but I do some of the core training (Pilates type exercises lying down)...however I can't at all do their cardio section...which seems to frustrate the program (I keep picking "flexibility" and "core" and "yoga" to work on, and it keeps suggesting I do cardio. We agree to disagree).

We also have Wii Active. That is more aggressive (although there is an "easy" setting). It's frustrating because most fitness programs focus on aerobic/cardio work...which is what I have to limit. I do better with walking, Pilates, gentle stretches, and upper body resistance work with stretchy bands. But the Wii has helped me. I LOVED exercise before getting sick...so I need something that helps me do tiny bits and not push too much. And I'm only able to do that now, because I'm not in a bad crash or flare at the moment.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I use Wii Fit Plus - which has a balance board. Just standing and adjusting my balance seems to have helped me with some of the "wobbliness" that has been part of my challenges. There are some gentle stretches, LOW intensity things - and they are all short. So it fits what a physical therapist told me to do - one minute of moving, then several minutes of resting and recovery. I have found it HAS helped me to keep some muscle tone.

We also have Wii Fitness Coach - which isn't as great of a program, but I do some of the core training (Pilates type exercises lying down)...however I can't at all do their cardio section...which seems to frustrate the program (I keep picking "flexibility" and "core" and "yoga" to work on, and it keeps suggesting I do cardio. We agree to disagree).

We also have Wii Active. That is more aggressive (although there is an "easy" setting). It's frustrating because most fitness programs focus on aerobic/cardio work...which is what I have to limit. I do better with walking, Pilates, gentle stretches, and upper body resistance work with stretchy bands. But the Wii has helped me. I LOVED exercise before getting sick...so I need something that helps me do tiny bits and not push too much. And I'm only able to do that now, because I'm not in a bad crash or flare at the moment.

Interesting! I didn't know you could do this with Wii's - I thought it was all fairly full-on but clearly it's not.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
I actually have a plain old cheapie "balance board" - something like this one http://www.home-gym-direct.com/p/power-systems-versa-balance-board - only I got mine at a discount store for around $10. I found that just standing and wobbling on it for a minute or two is a good exercise for my legs and actually feels *good* - which astounds me since like most of us, for me any kind of exercise feeling good is like a dim memory. I have a theory that it helps push the blood back up from the legs and helps OI/blood pooling in the legs, plus does a little stretching.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
The Wii Fit Plus is awesome, but you do not have to buy the "Fit" extention of the Wii to get some activity. The tennis, bowling and many more can give you some blood moving and range of motion exercises. Don't let the sticker shock of the Wii Fit Plus be a deterent. You can also find refurbished units with good warranties as an option.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
(I transferred these posts from a thread on Suzanne Vernon's talk - http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?8034-Suzanne-Vernon-Speaking-in-Colorado-Any-Questions-You-Want-to-Ask&p=133040#post133040)

I just remembered a "clinical pearl" once again -- I hope somebody that was at the meeting might fill in the details on this or at least verify that this is accurate

we were discussing the quandary of how to exercise in order to avoid deconditioning (which Susanne said exacerbates the symptoms), but not set off or cause "postexercise malaise". Suzanne said she had a discussion with Dr. Bateman and Dr. Bateman had indicated that using Wii was having a transformative effect on some of her patients. Suzanne speculated that maybe it was a way to avoid de-conditioning without exacerbation I remember one Susanne said the word wii -- I was thinking oh! This must be a form of tai chi, or qi gong but no!! It's the Nintendo game Wii!!

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post October 26th, 2010 06:44 AM #56
Sasha

Originally Posted by voner
Oh!

I just remembered a "clinical pearl" once again -- I hope somebody that was at the meeting might fill in the details on this or at least verify that this is accurate

we were discussing the quandary of how to exercise in order to avoid deconditioning (which Susanne said exacerbates the symptoms), but not set off or cause "postexercise malaise". Suzanne said she had a discussion with Dr. Bateman and Dr. Bateman had indicated that using Wii was having a transformative effect on some of her patients. Suzanne speculated that maybe it was a way to avoid de-conditioning without exacerbation I remember one Susanne said the word wii -- I was thinking oh! This must be a form of tai chi, or qi gong but no!! It's the Nintendo game Wii!!

Wow - I've seen the TV ads of people playing Wii and it looks really energetic, with people playing Wii tennis etc. - I'm surprised it doesn't trigger PEM. Maybe there are some really low-key games you can play on it? Or maybe you set a really low level of an exercise programme to stop people over-exercising like they might if left to their own devices?

I'm really surprised by this!

dancer

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post October 26th, 2010 07:18 AM #58

Sasha

Originally Posted by dancer

Interesting! I didn't know you could do this with Wii's - I thought it was all fairly full-on but clearly it's not.
Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post October 26th, 2010 01:22 PM #59
urbantravels

I actually have a plain old cheapie "balance board" - something like this one http://www.home-gym-direct.com/p/pow...-balance-board - only I got mine at a discount store for around $10. I found that just standing and wobbling on it for a minute or two is a good exercise for my legs and actually feels *good* - which astounds me since like most of us, for me any kind of exercise feeling good is like a dim memory. I have a theory that it helps push the blood back up from the legs and helps OI/blood pooling in the legs, plus does a little stretching.
Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post October 26th, 2010 07:03 PM #60

The Wii Fit Plus is awesome, but you do not have to buy the "Fit" extention of the Wii to get some activity. The tennis, bowling and many more can give you some blood moving and range of motion exercises. Don't let the sticker shock of the Wii Fit Plus be a deterent. You can also find refurbished units with good warranties as an option.

I wonder if I can get my doctor to write a prescription.

I'm a big nintendo fan, but am worried the wii would be a waste of money when I've got so little energy.

penny

I have the wii fit and it's too much for me. Clearly this will vary by person, but most of the games/exercises that involve the board involve standing on the board, and that in it self can be difficult for me. I enjoyed the basic sports games (tennis, golf, etc.) before I got sick, but they are too tiring now.

Tammie

I've wondered about this, but I tend to get something like motion sickness from being online too long and I suspect that the Wii would cause the same issues.....not to mention that if I couldn't find a used version, the cost is prohibitive

wish there were a way to try it out, though

I've wondered about this, but I tend to get something like motion sickness from being online too long and I suspect that the Wii would cause the same issues.....not to mention that if I couldn't find a used version, the cost is prohibitive

wish there were a way to try it out, though

Possibly something like the balance board would be helpful, rather than sitting still close to a PC monitor.

An OT mate mentioned that it could be possible to get something like this through the NHS. I'm tempted to give it a go... seems a little cheeky, but it's not like we get any health care, so maybe computer games are a fair replacement.

Francelle

I have to say that I have long been concerned by electromagnetic emissions from Wii Fit boards. Just something about them makes me very suss!

I wonder if there has been any real research done on them to investigate the possibility of adverse emissions or is it just another case of a seemingly good invention put into production for profit without real thought as to the effects on those using them!