• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why would groups try to replicate XMRV study NOT using WPI techniques?

Mithriel

This study achieved its primary aim which was to get headlines in the media which rubbished CFS being associated with a virus.

While McClure and her team may well have wanted to do cutting edge science and be first to get in with a study, SW and friends wanted to be seen to b responding but didn't wanted their careers, clinics and money to be lost.

Making wild claims that go far beyond the actual evidence and repeating it so often people think it is the truth, is how they have always gone about research so why change now that it is vital to them.

The IP team can carry the can if it all goes wrong.

Mithriel

W

wornout

Not sure If this has already been brought up.

could the IC study been rushed to influence the following I found on ME Agenda Jan 20

"DSM-V Somatic Symptoms Disorder Work Group presentation slides; draft due 10 February
January 20, 2010 — meagenda
DSM-V: APA now plan to publish draft proposals on 10 February;

DSM-V Somatic Symptom Disorder (SSD) Work Group presentation slides

Shortlink: http://wp.me/p5foE-2Fr

The American Psychiatric Association (APA), publishers of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), plans to publish draft proposals for changes to its diagnostic categories on 10 February. [1]
"

R

Robin

Not sure If this has already been brought up.

could the IC study been rushed to influence the following I found on ME Agenda Jan 20

"DSM-V Somatic Symptoms Disorder Work Group presentation slides; draft due 10 February...

There is thread here about the DSM. Suzy of ME Agenda posts here and she and others go into detail about what it means.

Whether or not it was rushed to impact policy? The DSM is American and the study was out of the UK so I would venture to say probably not.

ukxmrv

Some UK reasons would be

1. The PACE trial will be completed this year and they needed to stop the publicity over those results (which will be massive) being derailed
2. Getting their "research" published before any of the UK testers came out with public results of their private tests
3. Beating any Euro researchers who can successfully produce positive results to the post
4. Firmly putting into their place any UK researchers who collaborate with the WPI (i.e. Dr Kerr)
5. Trying to influence the MRC and any new shoots of new research that could possibility come out of the recent MRC call for research and the conference (i.e. look how quickly we can discredit you and how dirty we will make the fight)

W

wornout

Thank You. Robin and ukxmrv new here and still finding my way around. thank you for info on other thread.