• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why we might be hypothyroid but test normal

cigana

Hi,

This is a paper from 2002. If I understand the gist, it means that PWC's produce a protein which is 96% identical to a protein used to process thyroid hormone, thus blocking our use of the hormone. But blood tests for thyroid hormones (T4, T3, TSH etc.) would appear normal.

http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(02)00353-5/abstract

I for one have many hypothyroid symptoms and a low basal temperature, but my thyroid blood tests have been in the middle of the reference range.

Dr Barry Durrant-Peatfield says in his book that he has never known the combination of symptoms+low basal temperature to fail as a diagnostic for identifying hypothyroid...

Best wishes,

Cig

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I suspect that this study has a lot of validity. I suspect that possiblities similar to this could be happening to the adrenal glands (cortisol and aldosterone), pancreas (insulin) and others. As far as test goes they could all look fine, but on a molecular level could have minor changes that causes it to work slightly different. Or, the body just does not utilize it as it should. I can see how a virus might cripple how we process hormones, but whatever the cause it will mean severe havoc for bodies.