• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Why Increasing your Aerobic Power Makes You LESS Efficient" - OutsideOnline

Booble

I found this post while searching for swimming. I'm finding that swimming (outdoor backyard pool) is the one thing I can do that makes me feel great. At least for a little small bit of time. I always wondered what that runners/walkers/exercise high thing was that people talk of -- when typically after I need to slump into a chair or sofa and recover. But after I swim, I have a nice refreshing feeling that last for maybe 45 minutes or so.
Does anyone else feel GOOD when swimming? It seems like maybe it has something to do with the low gravity in the water. When I get out of the pool I can feel the heavy weight of my body. (And I don't weigh very much!) Also the cool water feels good. Walking and running make me feel hot and sweaty which adds to feeling worn out.

sb4

I found this post while searching for swimming. I'm finding that swimming (outdoor backyard pool) is the one thing I can do that makes me feel great. At least for a little small bit of time. I always wondered what that runners/walkers/exercise high thing was that people talk of -- when typically after I need to slump into a chair or sofa and recover. But after I swim, I have a nice refreshing feeling that last for maybe 45 minutes or so.
Does anyone else feel GOOD when swimming? It seems like maybe it has something to do with the low gravity in the water. When I get out of the pool I can feel the heavy weight of my body. (And I don't weigh very much!) Also the cool water feels good. Walking and running make me feel hot and sweaty which adds to feeling worn out.
I only get to do it super rarely but when I was in a lot of discomfort at the sea side a couple years ago from the heat, I went into the cold water and felt great. I think the water helps pots by cooling and possibly by compression causing less lax vessels. Maybe the anti gravity type feeling also helps.

Booble

I think you are right about the cooling. I've been swimming wearing a t-shirt instead of a bathing suit and if I leave the wet t-shirt on after, the cooling feels good. I think there is something to the compression/blood vessel theory too. Maybe the blood is able to move around a little better. Whatever it is, I'm liking the hour or so of feeling good.