• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why does sugar stop my runny nose?

Strawberry

My allergies are bad lately, and my nose is really runny. I was craving sugar but hate sugar. I finally caved and ate sugar, and my nose stopped running. An hour or two later my nose was running again so I ate more sugar. It dried up again. Why? Why does sugar stop my nose from running?

xebex

my thoughts would be that it is creating some additional bacteria in the gut which for some bizarre reason kills off the other bacteria that is causing the runny nose.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
B6 and zinc does the same for my mom. We found out that the B6 is necessary for the body to make Daosin an enzyme that breaks down histamine.

I agree with @xebex. You're probably feeding a bacteria that is helping with histamine levels or such. We found the same thing happens for her if she eats the probiotic Infantis so maybe that's what you are feeding. ???

Kenshin

I eat simple sugars because I have trouble digesting complex carbs and fibre.
If it's enough sugar it can bizarrely do all sorts of beneficial things by raising metabolism. Obviously you would only want to use sugar as a temporary solution for raising metabolism.