• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why do some injections hurt Depending on the substance?

fishboy9320

When I inject b12 it is painless mostly but when I inject b2 it hurts especially when I do it fast so I have to do it slowly and it is SUBQ or IM. IV is painless beside the initial hit into the vein especially if it is a core of multiple veins previously damaged etc.

I think the pain comes from in the skin were it activates P2X receptors expressed on nociceptive neurons and causes the pain. It hurts more on the shoulder than on the ass ...

Last edited:

Pearshaped

I dont have the english vocabulary to explain it Im afraid…
Some substances ie magnesium (and probably b2 ?) are „hypertonic“/ „hypertensive“ so they sting when injected.
Sarah Myhill explains it on her site where she talks about Mag injections.
B12 is not like that, and therefore totally easy to inject. It might help you to cool the skin before and afterwards and split the amount of B2 into two doses in two places on your body.

lenora

@Pearshaped, you did a good job.

Mg. is indeed painful, even if it's given by IV. That stuff burns for a long time. B-12 doesn't, and I can't help out with B2, but some injections can hurt far more than others. I hope it's at least helping you. Yours, Lenora.

Emmarose47

Could be to do with the thickness of the solution ?
When I was nursing doing it slower was Def less painful I did IM a lot ...
Injecting into the shoulder I've never heard of that ?

fishboy9320

Hurt less with time some facts are falsified. used to hurt so much injecting vitamin c in arm less in butt but now less. still hurts as much if a injected in a diff area .
Inhaleable and transdermal medicine are formulated same or similar as injectable ones so work to be injected. bacteria in nose is diff from the one in skin so nose medicine wont work.

Last edited:

fishboy9320

inject upper high tissue more pain deeper less pain colour diff in ampoule than syringe (in diff lights/shades etc). pain when injected after multiple uses same area muscle loss etc needle point needle point used too much small bits of it come off microscopy and can be pushed into body skin when substances injected, but maybe too small compared to the bits off an ampoule to cause much damage if stuck in skin. More dosage more pain

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

When I was going thru chemo, I had to have 14-18 consecutive days out of every 21 of Neupogen/Epogen injections, and they hurt like hell. I was literally screaming with some of them, moaning loudly the rest of the time.

One of the nurses explained that proteins always hurt going in, and the larger the protein molecule, the greater the pain.

Mg injections probably burn going in because magnesium literally burns. It's an incendiary agent used for both illumination and as an anti-personnel system, usually in powdered form or small solid cakes ...

Vit C injections are painful because you're injecting some form of ascorbic acid. I would imagine that buffered C would hurt less. Possibly a lot less.

Vit B2 is a conjugate acid of riboflavin, so also acidic, which would burn more than a moderate base. It's only very slightly soluble in an aqueous solution, but dissolves readily in strongly acidic liquids.

EDIT ... for clarity. Of which I have little to spare ..... Also, 3 or 4 typos ...

Last edited:

fishboy9320

yeah injecting slower is better cus the body cells have more time to pick it up before it overflows. and removing needle slowly or wait 30 second so nothing comes out and wasted. injecting too much air can cause skin to 'explode'

VITAMIN D helps injectable substances or transdermal ones be absorbed better.

Last edited:

fishboy9320

Ive found a way to minimize pain by doing it every other day instead and mix the solution with half of it with water so if its 4ml i put additional 2ml water in and shake it together. Injecting pure vitamin C is the worst pain ive ever experienced cause im not doing it IV im not good at that at all. flow agent

Last edited:

fishboy9320

the deeper i inject the less painful it is cus im skinny and more you inject in same area the harder it gets to inject there and painful when switch spot beginnin. that far you had not made any points to tell say otherwise so how could i have known. thats somth u should have told me without me having to get it out of u so in a way it was a lie trick

Last edited:

fishboy9320

I found out something interesting maybe it hasn't been discovered yet. But my body seems to have a way of knowing what substance I am about to inject. I injected protein in one area of my body and it went smoothly. Tried again with some b12 and I couldn't push the syringe even though it was in the same area.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3

lenora

Some substances just plain burn, no matter how or where they're give. Potassium is a perfect example. Even via IV you can feel the burn from it.....most unpleasant. The meds or supplements aren't exactly a joy either.

I'll pay more attention to my Vit. B-12 abdominal shots, but yes....make sure you expel as much air as possible. Have a little of the B-12 come out of the syringe before you give it to yourself. See,@Judee knows these things! Yours, Lenora