• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why do people with depression like listening to sad music?

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Hope4
Goodness! These studies are done by the clueless.
By the clueless, the thoughtless, and the depth-less. A pox on all their houses.
Even better than listening to music is making music. And the people doing these studies should take up making music, too. :)
If they had that level of creativity, they either wouldn't be doing idiotic studies like this, or they'd be doing them with greater depth and understanding. I repeat a pox etc etc etc.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@IThinkImTurningJapanese
I would like to believe that this research is bullshit, I have little faith in the British Psychological Society.
Anything that contains "psychology" or "psychiatry" in its title immediately gets my hackles up.

But in faint defense of the BPS, they did come out in condemnation of the DSM 5 a few years back, pointing out its dangerous and almost delusional excesses with verve and accuracy. So there is that .....

YippeeKi YOW !!

@jesse's mom
@Webdog posted the song The Weight by The Band a few months back on the Excellent Music thread.
And now I can't get rid of "I pulled into Nazareth / I was feeling bout a half past dead ..." .... flashing back to the first time I heard it during a particularly difficult relationship ..... gggaahhhhh :bang-head::bang-head::bang-head: :headslap: :xeyes::xeyes::xeyes:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Schoenberg?

For me, it's Mahler's 1st. Especially if I'm depressed.

Go figure.
For me Mahler was for a long time an antidepressant:

When I was still in school I never had already paid any attention to him, but then Mahler was disscussed in the lesson, especially - as I remember - this sequence:"When your mother is coming through the door" ("Wenn dein Mütterlein kommt zur Tür herein.") ... ... ... pupils wisdom ... ... My own mother used to come into the door saying: "The school is already waiting!" and sometimes she even added "for you" ... ...

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

@percyval577
1st it´s "Fére Jaques" in minor (or was it in the 4th movement? or was it in his 4th symphony??).
Definitely Mahler's 1st. I think it's almost the entirety of the 3rd movement, and you're right, it's incredibly powerful. I wore out at least one recording of it, and the second copy shows substantial wear, too.

Good to find another afficionado :woot::woot: :thumbsup:

Gingergrrl

This is a GREAT thread and one that I have been wanting to read since I first saw it posted but did not have the time until today. Thanks for starting it @IThinkImTurningJapanese and we can never have too many music threads :music:

I think music can be a very powerful, healing tool for some people. It is for me anyway.

I completely agree and music is very healing for me. I cannot imagine not being able to listen to music. Actually I can b/c there was a point in my illness (around 2014 or 2015?) that I could not tolerate noise and sound, including most music. But thank God, that completely went away and now I listen to music pretty much all of the time again. I love discovering new music which is usually from my step-daughter, watching music/ voice competition shows on TV or YouTube, or from Sirius Satellite Radio in my car.

Because listening to sad ballads or other sad music allows one to release the pain.

Agreed.

Goodness! These studies are done by the clueless.

Also agree.

@Webdog posted the song The Weight by The Band a few months back on the Excellent Music thread. I listened to that song over and over for a while. It seemed to somehow heal me.

I love that song and used to listen to it over and over. Even though it is from the 60's, I first heard "The Weight" around 1993 when I was living abroad. We did a talent show and some of my classmates at that time sang that song with guitars and I was mesmerized. This was before we had internet or cell phones and it was several more years before I discovered who sang that song!

Does anyone have the problem called: but if I listen to that great song a couple of times: it will park in my head and go onto REPEAT and REPEAT for literally DAYS.

This happens to me sometimes (even just from reading about a song and I don't need to actually hear it) and now "The Weight" is playing in my head (which I don't mind).

Yes, But stuck in my head for the last few days is the 1980's song "Safety Dance" ;)

I love the Safety Dance (and 80's music is my favorite to listen to b/c it makes me happy).

Yes, very much so. So, I listen to things that I wanna hear again. ;)

Before I even read further, I knew that you were about to post Tesla :p

But here is one of my favorite sad songs of all time. I am sad right now

I love Annie Lennox, too, and am also very sad right now, so will listen with you.

I thought they were saying: feeling about half past TEN.

I am laughing b/c I cannot tell you how many times I have thought a song was saying something completely different than the real words. I think the worst was what I thought Peter Gabriel was saying at the end of "Sledgehammer". The real words (which I did not know until I saw him in concert in 2002) are, "I've been feeding the rhythm" but I had thought he was saying, "I've been peeing in the river". It made no sense but that's what I had thought when I was younger :headslap:

I am so sorry you are having a rough time:( I am sending love, understanding, hope, and camaraderie your way :heart:

Likewise and me, too.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

That's funny.
Screenshot_2019-05-08 Why do people with depression like listening to sad music .png

YippeeKi YOW !!

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!