• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Who Here Takes Any Kind of Mushroom?

jeffrez

I took two "myco defense" capsules yesterday, and my right quadrant/liver/gall area really hurt badly all night.

Myco Defense:

Contains all growth phases (mycelium primordium, sclerotium and fruitbody) of 12 mushrooms: Cordyceps, Mesima, Maitake, Reishi, Yambushitake, Himematsutake, Shiitake, Zhu Ling, Kawaratake, Hiratake, Agarikon, Chaga (mycelium cultured on organic brown rice)

I have taken cordyceps for about a year and have never had problems with it. I found today that shiitake takes cytochrome P450 2D6 pathway, however, the same pathway as a lot of drugs including venlafaxine (effexor), which also caused rt. quadrant pain and elevated liver enzymes the one time I took it. I opened the capsule and took only about 5 or 6 of those little "beads," so apparently that pathway is very blocked in me. So I'm thinking it could be the shiitake. But it's possible that it could be any one or more of the others.

I wonder if anyone here knows whether the other 2 main medicinal mushrooms, maitake and reishi, also take that pathway, or has any similar experience with shiitake or these other 'shrooms. If it's just the shiitake or one of those other minor ones of the 12, I could just get maitake and/or reishi to supplement the cordyceps.

serenity

well i used to take mushrooms... haha, couldn't resist, i've been on the name change thread & we're all being a little silly over there. ;)
seriously, i'm sorry you had this reaction & i have no words of wisdom for you - but i have been meaning to tell you that i love your screen name. :)
the song plays in my little head every time i see your name here... :)

L'engle

moogle
Tried cordyceps, found them really unpleasant and not effective! Haven't tried any others. Yes, the whole trashing the bottle after taking two thing does get tiresome. Good luck finding something that works.

zoe.a.m.

For several months I've been taking ganoderma (red) in a formula that contains other things. When I'm acutely ill with a virus, etc. or just a big-time flare I stop taking this formula. I've found it to be quite good- though I know it takes a month to really get into the blood and start changing anything.

serenity

how long ago where you here? it has really changed a lot! i'm not complaining, it's like it's grown with me. it was a great place to be young - all hip & artsy - & it's nice now that i'm older that it's gotten more comfortable with the influx of yuppies (of which my husband is one) ... now that i'm older & like my comfort. & the hip are still here, it's just got both now. traffic is bad in town, we've actually moved out to Round Rock.

serenity

the atmosphere has changed a bit, in some places - but not entirely. the weather has only gotten hotter! haha!
well i hope you get to come back if here is where you want to be. i can't imagine i'll ever leave, who knows - my husband wants to retire to Colorado but i've lived here all my life & can't imagine being anywhere else.

sarahg

Admin Assistant
If you want to experiment with one that is cheaper, but effective-check out Myco- forte. It's about 15 $ a bottle, I've gotten it from acupuncturists, but also seen it online. Similar mix of mushrooms as the one you listed though, so it may not be right for you. I've had very good luck with it.

sarahg

Admin Assistant
I would say I have had improvement in PEM and less lymph swelling/pain, maybe a decrease in fluish stuff overall. These are really the only things I can knowingly directly attribute to it. Who knows what else, really, as I have taken other things at the same time. I started taking it before I ever had an NK cell test. Up to that time I had mostly tried RX drugs that didn't work out, and basic supplements like fish oil, probiotics, minerals. Although at times I also had herbal mixtures from an accupuncturist, I had not had them for some time before the testing was done. So it was kind of the only immune modulating thing I had taken at that point. Mr Dr. was really surprised based upon my symptoms and viral loads that my NK cell function, while still lower than normal, was much higher than he expected. It has continued to improve over time, and is transiently in "normal" range or is in the high range of being abnormal, like almost right on the line. After the first test there are some other things I have added or tried, I have also taken thymic protien A regularly (I am not sure if this impacts NK cells) and on and off I have tried olive leaf extract, a plain maitake extract, lysine, and maybe something else. So it could be some of these things together that are adding up.

serenity

i love snow but that is proably because i have never lived in it. i have family in Colorado & yes i have heard that Boulder is lovely. :)

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I have not heard of the product you took.

I use two kinds. AHCC Plus and Maitake D Fraction 6000mg. Both are very expensive, but most of my supplements are. I have never heard of problems, but I am sure other products can be a problem. My doctor is careful with what brands I use. These products have helped me a lot. I am on them for the LONG haul.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
I've used a lot of different mushroom products. Red Reishi seems to help some.

I've never had any negative effects with any of them, and I've really pushed the dosage with them as well.

I tried shiitake many years ago. I felt worse and thought my allergies got worse. I thought maybe it was activating an already over activated immune system.
There is a Japanese drug (SPG) based on the suehirotake mushroom that was studied in the early to mid 90s by a Japanese professor at Kyoto university. It seemed promising at the time, restored NK activity, and had good clinical results. I was always surprisd that this was not taken any further with a trial. Does anyone know anything about this?

lancelot

i don't take any mushroom supplements anymore, but i do eat shiitake, maitake, and oyster mushrooms with miso soup everyday.

To the original poster, look up "medicinal mushrooms" at wikipedia where they have extensive information and list of mushrooms.

Lucinda

My acupuncturist has recommended I take Reishi Mushrooms. However I just looked them up and the prices vary hugely. I'm guessing that the more expensive ones are better quality.

So should I go for a more expensive one because it is a higher quality? Or try and cheaper one first and see how I get on with it? Do you think quality matters much?

And can anyone recommend a brand?

Carrigon

Shiitake saved my life when I first got sick. Only high doses, like twenty pills a day for the first two years got me out of bed. And then as the years went on, I found I needed less and less. I'm no longer on it after alot of years. Reishi never worked on me, only Shiitake. I suspect it was the vitamin D in it that helped. Shiitake has the highest level of vitamin D in the world.

lancelot

get your affordable organic medicinal mushrooms from amazon through the PR link. there are many good brands-mycological, fungusamoungUS. i regularly eat shiitake, oyster, and maitake everyday and adding new ones every couple months.

Wayne

My acupuncturist has recommended I take Reishi Mushrooms. However I just looked them up and the prices vary hugely. I'm guessing that the more expensive ones are better quality.

So should I go for a more expensive one because it is a higher quality? Or try and cheaper one first and see how I get on with it? Do you think quality matters much?

And can anyone recommend a brand?

Mountain Rose Herbs
(Eugene, OR)

This company sells bulk organic mushrooms. We have friends (one an acupuncturist, his wife a masseuse) who live nearby and buy from them. We're getting ready to make a bulk order ourselves, as doing a mushroom regimen has long been on my mind. It's always been the cost that has held me back, but this source should make it far more affordable than if I just bought bottles.

Wayne