• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Who found XMRV in Japan

Carla-nl

Veteran by now
bugger... i found it cited in 2 other publications, which for me is enough for now. i went ahead and published it naming the researchers as a source.
will try to set up the translation over the weekend to make it more widely available :D

THanks ukxmrv,
Carla

Bob

Hi Carla,
I can't find it either... it seems it's just not been published anywhere yet...
In case it's any help, here's all the details I can find:

The study was presented at:
2009 meeting on Retroviruses, May 18 - May 23
Cold Spring Harbor Retrovirus Symposium 2009
Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory.

"The prevalence of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus in healthy blood donors in japan."

Authors:
Rika A. Furuta (*1), Takayuki Miyazawa (*2), Takeki Sugiyama (*3), Takafumi Kimura (*1), Fumiya Hirayama (*1), Yoshihiko Tani (*1) and Hirotoshi Shibata (*1)

*1 Department of Research, Japanese Red Cross Osaka Blood Center
*2 Laboratory for Viral pathogenesis, Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University
*3 Department of Urology, Nishiwaki Municipal Hospital.

Lesley

WPI has added the following statement to their homepage:

BREAKING NEWS!
Recent Japanese study detects XMRV using Whittemore Peterson Institute techniques of PBMC culture and serology for positive detection of XMRV in blood samples.

It links to the abstract here: http://www.diagnosesupport.com/health/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=305:the-prevalence-of-xenotropic-murine-leukemia-virus-related-virus-in&catid=132:xmrv-research&Itemid=8

The abstract is dated 12/31/2009, and I think it was already posted above, but the WPI link is new.

Kati

Patient in training
It is good news because WPI's methods have been successfully replicated. We had results before but not the methodology. It sounds like it passed the test... And customs as well, at least in Japan.

Lesley

This is still just an abstract on a website, not a full paper in a peer-reviewed journal. What I found interesting was WPI's statement that the Japanese used their methods.

ETA - It looks like Carla is the one who posted it. See post #23 above.

Kati

Patient in training
HTLV is certainly related to lymphoma and leukemia. I wonder if HTLV likes some company and invited XMRV???