• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Who else has had a MRI SCAN? was it normal?

coxy

Hi,

My daughter has been suffering badly with nausea, weight loss (3 st in a year) and headaches. Her paeditrician has decided to send her for an MRI scan next weds. I also had a MRI when i was in the process of being diagnosed because i suffered badly with cognitive symptoms. Mine came back fine.

Have others of you had one, did anything show up? Only Jody Bassett on the Hummingbird guide to ME site seems to suggest that all MRI scans should come back abnormal for a true diagnosis of ME. I thought it was spect scans that were better at showing up abnormalities, the uk doesn't seem to ever do these.

Resting

Have others of you had one, did anything show up?

I have had several MRI's. I did have something show up on the original 10 years ago. The most recent one, this year, was supposed to be compared to the original to see if there were changes. The report came back saying that there were no changes, however, the neurologist who requested the test is certified to read them and DID find a change. I was told by a doctor whom I trust, that MRI's are an art form rather than a science and are therefore subject to interpretation. Scary, huh? This was news to me.

So you might have had some sign that the doctor missed or thought was insignificant. Also, closed (traditional) MRI machines are much more accurate than open ones. I believe that Jody Bassett says that a Spect scan should come back abnormal but not necessarily an MRI. Even in the States, a Spect scan is not easy to have requested. You really have to have a doctor who is very intelligent and truly wants to search out the problem. My neurologist is about to order one for me. I have many signs of blood flow problems and that is why he is going to order it. That is what can be seen on a SPECT scan, how much blood is or is not getting to the brain. In ME there is always a reduced amount of blood reaching the brain. This is why we feel better in a horizontal position rather than sitting or standing. If you are supine the blood is better able to flow to the brain and vital organs.

If you have a neurologist let him know of problems you may be having with circulation. You can message me if you want more info on this.

My autistic son had an MRI done when he was 2 years old and at the worst of his autistic symptoms. He was very impaired, unable to chew or move his tongue, drooling a lot, no receptive or expressive language, not even finger pointing. That is to say that he was very abnormal neurologically. His brain MRI came back normal. However, like all the other autistic kids I know who had an MRI done, the MRI showed very inflamed sinuses, though he had no symptoms of runny nose or cold (which would have prevented the MRI to be done in the first place, since for small children general anesthesia is required to keep them perfectly still).

Karin

*GG*

Back when I was trying to get diagnosed, I had a brain MRI and it was normal. The purpose was to rule out MS.

I have had an MRI done of my brain also, ordered by my Neurologist, at my request, because of my frequent and chronic headaches. Nothing came of it. I think a Functional MRI would have been better, but our standard of care is not on that level. Open MRIs are for the obese or claustorphobic from what I understand, because of reduced "resolution".

I no longer see a Neurologist, useless for this condition, just pushed a million drugs and said I had Myofascial Pain Syndrome, no shit, to say the least. He lead me down a slippery slope of pain meds, luckily I have found a Dr who has helped me tremendously! Of course you need to help yourself with this condition, assuming you are not in a wicked bad condtion! I have had many downs and returns to my new "normal"!

Athene

ihateticks.me
I had an MRI a long time ago, when I had had CFS for about a year, max two years.

It showed abnormal blood flow in certain parts of my brain. I'm afraid I cannot rememebr exactly where, but the doctor called it hypoperfusion. He said there were no lesions or other abnormalities. As with so many tests in CFS, he was looking for a brain tumor (I had constant blinding headaches at that time) and so with this result I was sent off with no further testing and was told my brain was basically normal, even though actually it wasn't.

I am certain that blood perfusion of the brain varies, so that you can get an abnormal MRI in this way one day, and a totally normal one another day. I am not at all convinced that you would definitely get an abnormal MRI if you have CFS.

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

Does MRI show blood flow to the brain? I thought it was fMRI? (Functional MRI).
I would be interested to learn if I am wrong, as I would like to know my MRI result too if it shows blood flow.

Victoria

I also had a brain MRI done for severe headaches (& pain behind the eyes) for several months, ggingues.

Done in Dec 2009 when it got to the stage where they were so severe I could not work & had to take a month off work.

The first week off work, I had to sit (or lie down) in a completely quiet room. No computer, no tv, no talking etc. I could barely move at one stage & it was even torture to sit in the doctor's waiting room. I had to ask the receptionist if she could please turn off the background music in the waiting room while I was there.

The MRI was completely OK (& my GP said the Doctor who wrote the report was one of the best interpreters of brain MRI's in the business). I am virtually free of headaches these days (at home in retirement), but when I get the slightest hint of a headache or pain behind the eyes, I get off the computer immediately.

Every time I get severe symptoms of any kind what so ever - brain, heart etc I go to the Dr & get it checked out. Invariably they eventually go away (except for high BP & chest/left shoulder pain).

So I presume it's all to do with FM (or CFS).

I keep thinking that next time I have an attack of suspicious or severe symptoms, I will NOT go to the Dr & waste time & money on appmnts & tests. Trouble is, that the one day I don't go to get checked out, will probably be the day I really DO have a heart attack or something serious, so what do you do? (NOTE: heart disease & early death in the family history).

I wonder what a "functional" brain MRI would have shown last December? I have never heard of this term before (but I'm not a doctor, of course).

Stone

I had an MRI after my sudden CFS onset in 1995. It showed a lesion of some type in the very center of my cerebellum. The MRI was repeated with gadolinium contrast and the lesion proved not to be cancerous and the neurologist concluded it was merely a 'harmless' cyst I was probably born with or perhaps an atypical MS plaque, but he said this would not account for all of the symptoms I was experiencing. He did a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to further investigate for MS, which showed increased protein and white blood cells, but at a low level which, in his opinion would also not account for my symptoms but still did not rule out nor prove MS. Two years later in 1997, I started having more headaches and the MRI was repeated. It showed no change in the cerebellar lesion, and my neurologist now felt it was not MS and was probably congenital and harmless. Two years ago in 2008 I was having headaches of a different kind and losing weight for no apparent reason so a new neurologist did another MRI. It showed now that I have 3 lesions in my cerebellum, which the radiologist felt were there since birth and harmless. I explained that I had one lesion years ago, but the neurologist said he trusted the radiologist's opinion that they have been there since birth. I told the neurologist that I saw the MRI films with my own two eyes back in 1995 and 1997 and I am positive there was only one lesion at that time. He said, "Well, we have better machines now." and that's the end of that. The headaches stopped eventually. I'm still otherwise as sick as always, but they say it has nothing to do with the cyst or cysts in my cerebellum. I will say that when I had my sudden onset of CFS in 1995 I had profound dizziness and could not even sit in a chair without holding on or I would fall in the floor. This persisted for a month before it gradually diminished to where I was only dizzy when I turned my head fast or repeatedly as when grocery shopping and looking at both sides of the aisle as I go. That's pretty much better now. The only problems I have with balance now are that I can not spin around in a circle (as when dancing) without feeling like everything keeps spinning (but since I don't find myself really needing that skill, I don't feel my quality of life is diminished by that) and also, I can not balance in complete darkness or with my eyes closed. I have concluded that my brain has learned a new way of keeping my balance which is mainly by visual input, and when visual input is removed, I will certainly fall down if I am not holding on to something. I just keep night lights on here and there in the house and I don't have any trouble getting around the house in the 'dark'.

I had an MRI after my sudden CFS onset in 1995. It showed a lesion of some type in the very center of my cerebellum. The MRI was repeated with gadolinium contrast and the lesion proved not to be cancerous and the neurologist concluded it was merely a 'harmless' cyst I was probably born with or perhaps an atypical MS plaque, but he said this would not account for all of the symptoms I was experiencing. He did a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to further investigate for MS, which showed increased protein and white blood cells, but at a low level which, in his opinion would also not account for my symptoms but still did not rule out nor prove MS. Two years later in 1997, I started having more headaches and the MRI was repeated. It showed no change in the cerebellar lesion, and my neurologist now felt it was not MS and was probably congenital and harmless. Two years ago in 2008 I was having headaches of a different kind and losing weight for no apparent reason so a new neurologist did another MRI. It showed now that I have 3 lesions in my cerebellum, which the radiologist felt were there since birth and harmless. I explained that I had one lesion years ago, but the neurologist said he trusted the radiologist's opinion that they have been there since birth. I told the neurologist that I saw the MRI films with my own two eyes back in 1995 and 1997 and I am positive there was only one lesion at that time. He said, "Well, we have better machines now." and that's the end of that. The headaches stopped eventually. I'm still otherwise as sick as always, but they say it has nothing to do with the cyst or cysts in my cerebellum. I will say that when I had my sudden onset of CFS in 1995 I had profound dizziness and could not even sit in a chair without holding on or I would fall in the floor. This persisted for a month before it gradually diminished to where I was only dizzy when I turned my head fast or repeatedly as when grocery shopping and looking at both sides of the aisle as I go. That's pretty much better now. The only problems I have with balance now are that I can not spin around in a circle (as when dancing) without feeling like everything keeps spinning (but since I don't find myself really needing that skill, I don't feel my quality of life is diminished by that) and also, I can not balance in complete darkness or with my eyes closed. I have concluded that my brain has learned a new way of keeping my balance which is mainly by visual input, and when visual input is removed, I will certainly fall down if I am not holding on to something. I just keep night lights on here and there in the house and I don't have any trouble getting around the house in the 'dark'.

Just wanted to chime in that I was at my doctor recently because of dizziness, and he recommended that I do the following exercises: Epley Manoeuver, and Cawthorne Vestibular Exercises. I found two videos that discribe those exercises:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QikUTAmeE0M&feature=related
http://www.jacksonearclinic.com/pages/vCawthorne.htm
He said that oftentimes, vertigo and dizziness are caused by tiny stones in the inner ear that get stuck and mess the balance system. The above exercises are designed to dislodge these stones to restore fluidity and resolve the balance issues. I have not tried these exercises yet since my duzziness seems to have gone away on its own for now, but I just wanted to mention.

I had a brain scan last year......completely normal. I have had our thing for over 20 years.

I had an MRI 3 years ago after new symptom of vertigo presented. Results were normal. I just had an MRI of my neck; also normal. I am going in for another MRI of my brain in a couple weeks due to my going into a new acute phase at end of March 2010 (have had CFIDS for 18 years).

Robyn

I had a head MRI back in 2005 for migraines. It was normal. In 2006 I had a neck and upper spine MRI which showed 2 disk protrusions. I had another mri on neck and upper back this year. It showed 3 protrusions in my neck and 5 in my upper back. My spine is falling apart.

Nielk

I had a brain MRI done about six months ago because of my persistent full blown headaches.
It came back normal.

I had a brain MRI done about six months ago because of my persistent full blown headaches.
It came back normal.

exactly what nielk said! have been having increasinly severe and constant headaches/face pain for the last 7 1/2 years and it's become my dominant symptom and turned me intto a hermit. saw a neurologist again earlier in the year and she sent me for an MRI to check there wasn't anything 'more sinister' there. after reading some of the info and statistics on abnormal MRI's in CFS patients i was convinced something would have to show up with symptoms this unbearable. was actually quite shocked and devastated when it came back normal...no further ahead.

(do have a firend who is a radiologist who told me - as someone else mentioned - that it very much depends on the skill etc of the machine operator what is actually found)

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Get a cd

When you get your mri or scan ask for a cd along with your paper results - it could help you in the future. The next time you have one you will at least have the previous one to compare

glen

kat0465

i had an mri, with contrast about a year ago, my L1 tru L5 were pretty much shot, and i had several bright spots on the brain, they said they were nothing to worry about.
but couldnt tell me what they were.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Stone just wanted to say that my last relapse started with the same symptoms you have. I have been found to have constantly re-activating EBV, I have periods of getting better and then wham it hits me again, my GP (private) has said recently she thinks it may be vestibular neuritis(neuronitis) and has referred me to a neurologist, my first question will be, is the inflammation due to permanent damage or just when the virus is active?. If it does turn out to be my diagnosisi I will at least feel a little nearer in being able to find, if not a cure, a treatment that will help.
I did have the Epley Man some years back and it did help slightly but also nearly busted my neck in the doing!!