• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which Virus/Bacteria could it be??

I’ve been really struggling with this, so I needed to seek help... Please do try to advise if you have the knowledge, maybe somebody is informed enough to help, because I’m having a difficult time trying to resolve info about this.

Has anybody else been struggling to find which viral infection (or other) it was that triggered their CFS??

I know that Viral infections are known to trigger the thyroid (that was my start), but is it all of the Herpes ones, that once re-activated, can then attack the thyroid and lower those hormones?? All of the ones in the herpes family are notorious for attacking the thyroid?? or just select ones?

Which Bacterial ones, (and this is the important part) are known to both be linked with CFS, and attack the Thyroid?? That’s what I’m having trouble with, which Bacterial, could it have been?

My CFS it started with raging symptoms of Hypo, and Fatigue, and Cognitive Issues. There were some flu-like symptoms, I guess, but definitely no fever, and no stomach issues, and no sore throat!!

My research so far has pointed me to the following: HHV-6, or CMV... But which Viral or Bacterial or other, infections are known to attack the thyroid?? Does anybody know? Those were my biggest clues: the fatigue, and tingliness in the hands...and cognitive issues. there was no other symptoms apart from the Hypo-like issues, flu-like symptoms, and intense Fatigue...then it evolved into full-blown CFS and I’m still struggling to identify the cause. Could Parvo B19 cause Hypo-like symptoms ?

Any pointers would be so appreciated. feel free to discuss your symptoms and causes as well.

(Btw, my EBV results were negative for re-activation or chronic... I wonder if the EBV is hiding, causing the immune system to become compromised that way, it’s just not showing on paper)

Is there like bacteria that can do that as well? could it have just been HHV-6?

Last edited:

Learner1

(Btw, my EBV results were negative for re-activation or chronic... I wonder if the EBV is hiding, causing the immune system to become compromised that way, it’s just not showing on paper)
What exact tests did you have for EBV? I had a case that was hidden through many tests until it was found.

The most likely infections to test for, especislly with any past symptoms, are:
  • HSV1 and 2
  • Zoster
  • CMV
  • EBV
  • HHV6
  • HHV7
  • Parvovirus B19
  • Cocksackie virus
  • Yersinia
  • H. pylori
  • Chlamydia pneumoniae
  • Mycoplasma pneumoniae
  • Lyme plus coinfections

Wishful

As for what triggered my ME, it seems to have been a tetanus booster. If you're hoping that treating the infection will cure ME/CFS, it doesn't seem likely. Once it's been triggered by some means--and it doesn't need to be an infectious agent--the body is locked into that state. We may get occasional temporary remissions, but all too quickly return to the abnormal ME state.

ME/CFS isn't--as far as we know--a thyroid disorder. Some of us may have thyroid problems in addition to ME/CFS or as a result of it, but treating the thyroid condition doesn't end ME/CFS.

Do your thyroid tests show clear problems? There are members here who can help with interpreting thyroid test results.

Treating my infections dramatically improved my functionality. I haven't had a temporary remission - as my doctors have identified and solved problems, including thyroid, I've had a long, slow, gradual improvement. :)

I tested for the regular VCA IgG (Non Reactive), EA IgG (Non Reactive), EBNA IgG (Reactive), those were the ones I was tested for. I wonder if there’s any I should’ve requested additionally? I believe the EBV is hiding somewhere, and that caused VCA to show a false negative!

& Thank you for the list, I was mainly inquiring which ones specifically are known to attack thyroid, and cause Fatigue and Cognitive issues, because that was just my triggers (no fever) but I can look it up - I think all Viral infections are notorious for attacking the thyroid. it’s my understanding that Parvo can mimic hypo symptoms as well.

@Wishful yes, but it is our best and only hope at the moment...

Last edited:

JES

I can link to one study, which found found the EBV in the thyroid cells of 80% of people with Hashimoto's and 62.5% of people with Graves'. But it seems that it could indeed be many viruses that could be a trigger this sort of condition. And I would say that at least in most cases it's not the virus itself that does the most damage to the thyroid, but rather the immune response (autoimmunity) that follows. Many people with thyroid issues can reduce their thyroid hormone replacement dosages when on immune modulating drugs like LDN, so it points to the immune system being the issue.

Regarding the specific viruses you mentioned, HHV-6 is present in around 96% of world population, and once you contract it the virus will stay in the body forever, but in a latent state it is usually harmless unless you are immune compromised. EBV is a bit more cunning as it infects B-cells, which other herpesviruses don't do, so based on this fact and the evidence available, EBV is generally speaking the more likely candidate to cause problems.

I can link to one study, which found found the EBV in the thyroid cells of 80% of people with Hashimoto's and 62.5% of people with Graves'. But it seems that it could indeed be many viruses that could be a trigger this sort of condition. And I would say that at least in most cases it's not the virus itself that does the most damage to the thyroid, but rather the immune response (autoimmunity) that follows. Many people with thyroid issues can reduce their thyroid hormone replacement dosages when on immune modulating drugs like LDN, so it points to the immune system being the issue.

Regarding the specific viruses you mentioned, HHV-6 is present in around 96% of world population, and once you contract it the virus will stay in the body forever, but in a latent state it is usually harmless unless you are immune compromised. EBV is a bit more cunning as it infects B-cells, which other herpesviruses don't do, so based on this fact and the evidence available, EBV is generally speaking the more likely candidate to cause problems.
When you say “immune compromised” - could that be something simple, like poor nutrition, or lots of stress? Or is this usually more serious, like surgery- or AIDS? What counts as being “Immune compromise”, I’m fairly sure it can be anything.

I’m really just struggling to identify which virus could’ve “reactivated”, or if it was a new infection. I didn’t go through surgery or any particularly stressful event and yet i was hit like a truck. And now it’s so dofficult to find out which Virus it was

Learner1

I wonder if there’s any I should’ve requested additionally? I believe the EBV is hiding somewhere, and that caused VCA to show a false negative!
A PCR test. However, it is possible it could be negative and you still have it in your tissues, not your blood.
Thank you for the list, I was mainly inquiring which ones specifically are known to attack thyroid, and cause Fatigue and Cognitive issues, because that was just my triggers (no fever) but I can look it up - I think all Viral infections are notorious for attacking the thyroid. it’s my understanding that Parvo can mimic hypo symptoms as well.
All the herpes infections can. And parvo, yersinia, and h. pylori.
When you say “immune compromised” - could that be something simple, like poor nutrition, or lots of stress? Or is this usually more serious, like surgery- or AIDS?
Having low NK cell function and/or low immunoglobulins.