• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which brain imaging?

Hi,

I don't have a diagnosis as yet but my symptoms tally better with cfs/me than anything else I've found so far.

I'd like to get some more brain imaging (and/or testing) done because of longstanding disabling symptoms (brain fog et al - you know the ones) and some newer concerning symptoms (specifically bouts of limb numbness and paralysis).

I have a normal MRI.

Lassessen makes a pretty good argument for SPECT here:

https://cfsremission.com/2014/03/04/appropriate-brain-scans-for-cfs-patients/

though I've skipped reviewing the journal articles.

I've seen some mention of PET, EEG, and qEEG here and elsewhere.

So: Thoughts? Opinions? Journal articles? Lay it on me!

Bump.

Hey, this seems to have gotten buried: but my PCP is setting me up with a neuropsychologist/psychologist for cognitive function testing and after that I am to see a neurologist so this would be a GREAT time to have this talk.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Hi,

I don't have a diagnosis as yet but my symptoms tally better with cfs/me than anything else I've found so far.

I'd like to get some more brain imaging (and/or testing) done because of longstanding disabling symptoms (brain fog et al - you know the ones) and some newer concerning symptoms (specifically bouts of limb numbness and paralysis).

I have a normal MRI.

Check it was 3.0T MRI. Also was it with contrast? My standard brain MRI missed a pituitary cyst until they repeated it with a high resolution scan with contrast.

Cheaper hospitals or clinics use lower resolution, especially for standing MRI where patients are too claustrophobic to get into a 'tube' like device.

Also have you had a full spine MRI to look at spinal nerves?

Other types of MRI at a research level are ASL-MRI (Arterial Spin Labelling) to check for reduced blood flow, and MRS to look for ventricular lactate.

PET can also measure blood flow, inflammation and glucose depending on what radioligand/tracers they inject you with.

Personally I'd stay up all day, read, talk totally exhaust your brain and do this on a day you have an evening 5PM or so, appointment to do a brain QEEG map either at home or if you can get there, in a clinic. This is always abnormal in ME CFS. It should show your brain is half asleep when your're awake and possibly show brief spikes in seizure activity in some patients.