• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

where to get these SNP's done ?

humanrising

I am interested in getting the MTHFR snp done and maybe some listed in Niel Nathans book toxic : a1298, me1, hfe, slc40al, cp. spd2, sod3, cat gsr ulk1 ukl2 and aig13
really want the MTHFR more then any thing else. I thought 23andme did MTHFR but I called them and they said absolutely not!

can anyone suggest where to get this test done and if I need a doctor or if insurance will cover it?
please forgive my ignorance with SNP's I ve never had anything done and don't really know where to begin.,,....,,add a brain that is a sharp as a ball of hair and we can see my dilemma. thanks so much!!!!! best wishes to all :)

Dan_USAAZ

really want the MTHFR more then any thing else. I thought 23andme did MTHFR but I called them and they said absolutely not!

I find this a bit odd, as 23andMe does (or did) run SNPs for MTHFR. I had my test in 2017 and they included MTHFR at that time. Below is a screenshot of my raw SNP data for MTHFR displayed on a 23andMe page. I have 20 SNPs on this gene.
Possibly what they meant is that they do not offer any input or health information related to the MTHFR SNPs? I would not recommend using them for analysis of the data. Export the raw data and use it in a third party tool.

1636073341838.png

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I thought 23andme did MTHFR but I called them and they said absolutely not!

I'm not sure the person you spoke to gave you right info.

I also have MTHFR showing on my 23andme results but I did it way back when there was only one test they offered which I think now would be equivalent to their Health AND Ancestry one versus just the Ancestry one. (Hope that doesn't sound confusing.)

Shanti1

Administrator
I thought 23andme did MTHFR but I called them and they said absolutely not!
Maybe they meant that they don't report it as part of the genes on their easy-to-read "Health Report". I had my MTHFR tested through 23andMe, but I had to run my raw data through a 3rd party program called geneticgenie (which is free, Prometheus will work too). You can also mine them from your 23andMe raw data if you know what you are looking for.
The 23andMe data contained the two most impactful MTHFR SNPs, which are the same ones most MTHFR-focused genetic tests will run. I had my 23andMe run about 5 years ago, but I doubt anything has changed. If you want to go with a lab that specifically looks at MTHFR, you could go with a lab like Kashi Labs, but I think getting an entire data set of the rest of your genes through 23andMe makes them worth it.

humanrising

I am wondering if maybe they did and they don't now or maybe there is some other odd reason she was so adamite about it.
My first call to them was really terrible I had that experience that you have when you call on your credit card company the people oversees can't tell you anything that isn't on a " script" . I went on the loopy loopy train for way too long with that one!

The second person," I am interested in getting a report done and I would like one specific SNP I don't know or really expect you to be able to tell me but I thought I would ask" she asked which one and I told her " MTHFR" and she no we do not run that SNP and I don't know why so many people think we do. I think there is a face book group promoting using us but we absolutely do not run that SNP in any of our reports.

I think I shall try one more time, maybe three is charm! but I would also like to have other options so thank you for the " kashi lab" I will look it up.

Shanti1

Administrator
@humanrising they may not put it on their reports, but it is in the hundreds of thousands of genes in your 23andMe raw data which can be downloaded onto your computer and then uploaded to to free programs for interpretation.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
@humanrising, I found this older post on their blog about it: https://blog.23andme.com/health-traits/our-take-on-the-mthfr-gene/

Ahh...now I just found this one https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/236409067-Conditions-NOT-Included-In-23andMe

I think that's what they mean. The snps for these things will show on your raw data but they won't talk about it in any of their reports or condition analysis pages.

Here's a page talking about what I mean: https://customercare.23andme.com/hc...Related-Information-Can-I-Learn-From-23andMe-

See what a lot of us did is download the raw data (first attachment below*) and then upload it as others are saying to Promethease or Sterlings app (second attachment below), Amy Yasko's site or Genetic Genie (not sure if they are still around) for an actually report of sorts.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Also when I just went to look at their website they have a 50% off special showing on their front page. Clicking on the Buy Now button takes you to the prices. It also shows a membership program. That's something new that I'm not familiar with. (Just so you know I have absolutely no affiliation with 23andme or these other apps.)

*Also both of those screen shots are just a page out of the entire data and sterling report. Mine actually had something like 74,000 snps of raw data. Sterlings had 52 pages on that report but much of it overlapping info.

Attachments

• Untitled raw.png
    Untitled raw.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Untitled sterling.png
    Untitled sterling.png
    191.9 KB · Views: 21