• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

When I drink alcohol sometimes I wake up with Horrible anxiety and a lot of mucous

When I drink alcohol sometimes I wake up with Horrible anxiety and a lot of mucous in my mouth and clogged nose? What is this? Is this normal?:confused: This last for sometimes mouths..... horrible

caledonia

Alcohol intolerance is very common for ME/CFS. The last time I drank any significant amount I felt like I was dying of alcohol poisoning the next day. Very nauseous and sick feeling.

The anxiety makes me think of a chemical allergy. That's one of my symptoms with paint fumes, etc. The mucous makes me think of a food allergy. So maybe a little of both?

Have you noticed if different kinds of alcohol are better or worse? For example, beer vs. red wine vs. white wine, vs. whiskey, vs. vodka.

Have you noticed anything with varying amounts? Like a half a glass is ok, but anything more is bad, etc.

If it lasts for months, it sounds like you're having a terrible time detoxing. Have you noticed problems with other chemicals - paints, perfumes, cleaning products, etc?

Wonko

Try milk thistle, I'd strongly suggest only part of a capsule made into a weak tea (mixed with honey or similar to sweaten) to start with and titrate up over time. I'd also suggest seeing a doctor as it sounds like you may have a liver issue, or have an alergy to something in the particular type of poison you are drinking - and of course avoid alchohol.

richvank

When I drink alcohol sometimes I wake up with Horrible anxiety and a lot of mucous in my mouth and clogged nose? What is this? Is this normal?:confused: This last for sometimes mouths..... horrible

Hi, Ryan.

Based on what you have reported in your posts, I think it's likely that you have glutathione depletion and a partial methylation cycle block, and that the GD-MCB hypothesis fits your case. Alcohol intolerance in ME is likely due to its known effect of causing oxidative stress and thus depleting glutathione even further. The anxiety could be caused by excitotoxicity in the neurons, resulting from glutathione depletion in the astrocytes in the brain. I don't know about the mucus. The hair loss you reported earlier could be caused by folate depletion in the cells of the hair follicles. Folate depletion is part of the GD-MCB pathogenesis mechanism. If you want to find out more about this, please read my documents in the Wiki section, here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/forumdisplay.php?91-General-Wiki-Pages

Best regards,

Rich

taniaaust1

Having ME probably means you will have to completely give up drinking alcohol. Most of us, our bodies can not handle it and its like "poison" to us.

maddietod

Ryan, I'm also interested in what kind of alcohol? In my fantasy world, something like tequila would provoke a much smaller reaction than, say, a swet liqueur or wine. Because tequila comes from a cactus, which is relatively unlikely to be an allergen, whereas liqueur has sugar in it and wine has nasty chemicals.

I'm talking about very small amounts, as I agree with everybody that alcohol in all forms is very hard on us.

Madie

Nielk

Easy solution=stay away from alochol.