• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Whats the difference between Nicotinamide Riboside and Nicotinamide Mononucleotide?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I managed to get my hands on some Nicotinamide Riboside for dirt cheap (amazon price error?) so i am wondering if it would have the same effect as Nicotinamide Mononucleotide?

Pyrrhus

They are both forms of the B vitamin niacin, which is converted to NAD+ in the body.

I see that nicotinamide needs roughly three enzymatic steps to get to NAD+, nicotinamide riboside needs two enzymatic steps to get to NAD+, and nicotinamide mononucleotide only needs one enzymatic step to get to NAD+.

I can certainly see how some people with different metabolisms might benefit from a vitamin that requires less processing...