• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What wrong We have done as per Karma rule?

As per all the Asia ,s oldest philosophies and culture nothing happens random , everything that happens , happens as per the previous karma it might be current life or previous life's
What wrong Karma I might have commited to come into a severe ME state

May be tourturing some one physically and mentally in Jail or prision with severe restrictions ?
How can I rectify it to get into better life in future ?

Wolfcub

I don't see it that way @SuhasSN

I see Karma in a different way. Not as any form of punishment. Not for any "evil" deeds !

It is thought that only advanced Souls willingly agree to a "fast track" life. The choice is given when in Spirit. We have free will and can make that choice in Spirit.
There are many other things that happen there which we are unaware of while in this limited conscious awareness, by the way.

We all come here to experience, and to learn and take back with us to Spirit, whatever insights we have gained which expand our Souls into knowingness.
A fast track life means experiencing things which have the potential to draw out extra reserves in the learning process. We have chosen to experience challenges which do that. We may not have the full picture, but we have a good idea what it will mean, before we come here.
Such things can cause massive advancements in understanding and in compassion.

I know....to our suffering selves down here in this density, and with the added inability to fully recall the state of Spirit -it can make no sense, as all that is happening is we are suffering.

But another thing is we all come to become fully immersed in the physical experience. And what counts is always what we make of what happens to us.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
A friend of mine once stated that she must have done something especially wrong in her earlier life. I could not resist to state the same thing for myself.

However, I once said to myself that the concept of karma may say that the deeds you do today will pay out in the future. If you lie, you are not open for a truth that may give you the joy of being.

I have to admit that I don´t know too much about asian philosophy, with the exception maybe of Lao-tzu from whom I got me the text in chinese to look up which words are the same throughout the text. I never came about a corresponding translation of the first sentences.
The way to which can lead a way, is not the way that is steadily there.
The category which can be categorized, is not the category that is steadily there.

Pearshaped

intersting,even though I believe in Jesus Christ and what the bible sais,I got once to a point where I wondered about the same thing.I can relate @SuhasSN

On one hand I guess ilness is here to make us aware for what really counts in Life.We have to learn that the hard way.

On the other hand there's a story in the Bible of a very ill woman,and one of Jesus'followers asked him what bad she or her parents might have done and Jesus replied that neither she nor her parents have something done wrong.
In another book in the bible it says God lets the sun shine over the good and the bad(people).

Hipsman

On the other hand there's a story in the Bible of a very ill woman,and one of Jesus'followers asked him what bad she or her parents might have done and Jesus replied that neither she nor her parents have something done wrong.
In another book in the bible it says God lets the sun shine over the good and the bad(people).
I think this one makes the most sense.

southwestforests

Since my belief system is very different from yours I am unable to offer usable observations, input, or advice, on that matter: it would be much like calling Microsoft about troubleshooting your Macintosh.

The belief system I follow offers an explanation of why such things happen and that there will eventually be a full overcoming of them, but for this present age, this world is fundamentally broken, dysfunctional, fallen, and toil and suffering are the norm; these current troubles and pains are real and they do distress and hurt, and will happen to people until the entire universe eventually gets rebooted, in a manner of speaking.

pamojja

As per all the Asia ,s oldest philosophies and culture nothing happens random , everything that happens , happens as per the previous karma it might be current life or previous life's

May be tourturing some one physically and mentally in Jail or prision with severe restrictions ?

It's difficult subject, since most people don't have any memory and have to rely on beliefs. And easily identify with such beliefs. Therefore just in case: please take the following in no other way than as a philosophical consideration, and in no way any more true than any other.

Believes are easily tainted by preconceptions, even already 5000 year ago at the time of the Buddha. At which time many belived in ascetism (even the Buddha to be too) and penance to accumulate better kamma (old Pali language for Sanskrit karma). One tragic example in one of the old pali texts:

Kukkuravatika Sutta: The Dog-duty Ascetic
translated from the Pali by Ñanamoli Thera © 1994

1. Thus have I heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was living in the Koliyan country: there is a town of the Koliyans called Haliddavasana.

2. Then Punna, a son of the Koliyans and an ox-duty ascetic, and also Seniya a naked dog duty ascetic, went to the Blessed One, and Punna the ox duty ascetic paid homage to the Blessed One and sat down at one side, while Seniya the naked dog-duty ascetic exchanged greetings with the Blessed One, and when the courteous and amiable talk was finished, he too sat down at one side curled up like a dog. When Punna the ox-duty ascetic sat down, he asked the Blessed One: "Venerable sir, this naked dog-duty ascetic Seniya does what is hard to do: he eats his food when it is thrown on the ground. That dog duty has long been taken up and practiced by him. What will be his destination? What will be his future course?"[1]

"Enough, Punna, let that be. Do not ask me that."

A second time... A third time Punna the ox-duty ascetic asked the Blessed One: "Venerable sir, this naked dog-duty ascetic Seniya does what is hard to do: he eats his food when it is thrown on the ground. That dog duty has long been taken up and practiced by him. What will be his destination? What will be his future course?"

"Well, Punna, since I certainly cannot persuade you when I say 'Enough, Punna, let that be. Do not ask me that,' I shall therefore answer you.

3. "Here, Punna, someone develops the dog duty fully and unstintingly, he develops the dog-habit fully and unstintingly, he develops the dog mind fully and unstintingly, he develops dog behavior fully and unstintingly. Having done that, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of dogs. But if his view is such as this: 'By this virtue or duty or asceticism or religious life I shall become a (great) god or some (lesser) god,' that is wrong view in his case. Now there are two destinations for one with wrong view, I say: hell or the animal womb. So, Punna, if his dog duty is perfected, it will lead him to the company of dogs; if it is not, it will lead him to hell."

4. When this was said, Seniya the naked dog-duty ascetic wept and shed tears. Then the Blessed One told Punna, son of the Koliyans and an ox-duty ascetic: "Punna, I could not persuade you when I said, 'Enough Punna, let that be. Do not ask me that.'"

"Venerable sir, I am not weeping that the Blessed One has spoken thus. Still, this dog duty has long been taken up and practiced by me. Venerable sir, there is this Punna, a son of the Koliyans and an ox duty ascetic: that ox duty has long been taken up and practiced by him. What will be his destination? What will be his future course?"

"Enough, Seniya, let that be. Do not ask me that." A second time... A third time Seniya the naked dog-duty ascetic asked the Blessed One: "Venerable sir, there is this Punna, a son of the Koliyans and an ox-duty ascetic; that ox duty has long been taken up and practiced by him. What will be his destination? What will be his future course?"

"Well, Seniya, since I certainly cannot persuade you when I say 'Enough, Seniya, let that be. Do not ask me that,' I shall therefore answer you."

5. "Here, Seniya, someone develops the ox duty fully and unstintingly, he develops the ox habit fully and unstintingly, he develops the ox mind fully and unstintingly, he develops the ox behavior fully and unstintingly. Having done that, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of oxen. But if his view is such as this: 'By this virtue or duty or asceticism or religious like I shall become a (great) god or some (lesser) god,' that is wrong view in his case. Now there are two destinations for one with wrong view, I say: hell or the animal womb. So, Seniya, if his ox duty is perfected, it will lead him to the company of oxen; if it is not, it will lead him to hell."

6. When this was said, Punna, a son of the Koliyans and an ox-duty ascetic, wept and shed tears. Then the Blessed One told Seniya, the naked dog duty ascetic: "Seniya, I could not persuade you when I said, 'Enough, Seniya, let that be. Do not ask me that.'"

"Venerable sir, I am not weeping that the Blessed One has spoken thus. Still, this ox duty has long been taken up and practiced by me. Venerable sir, I have confidence in the Blessed One thus: 'The Blessed One is capable of teaching me the Dhamma in such a way that I may abandon this ox duty and that this naked dog-duty ascetic Seniya may abandon that dog duty.'"

However, at this point the conversation takes a more optimistic turn, not neccesarily based on believes:

7. "Then, Punna, listen and heed well what I shall say."

"Yes, venerable sir," he replied. The Blessed One said this:

8. "Punna, there are four kinds of kamma proclaimed by me after realization myself with direct knowledge. What are the four? There is dark kamma with dark ripening, there is bright kamma with bright ripening, there is dark-and-bright kamma with dark-and-bright ripening, and there is kamma that is not dark and not bright with neither-dark-nor-bright ripening that conduces to the exhaustion of kamma.

9. "What is dark kamma with dark ripening? Here someone produces a (kammic) bodily process (bound up) with affliction,[2] he produces a (kammic) verbal process (bound up) with affliction, he produces a (kammic) mental process (bound up) with affliction. By so doing, he reappears in a world with affliction. When that happens, afflicting contacts[3] touch him. Being touched by these, he feels afflicting feelings entirely painful as in the case of beings in hell. Thus a being's reappearance is due to a being: he reappears owing to the kammas he has performed. When he has reappeared, contacts touch him. Thus I say are beings heirs of their kammas. This is called dark kamma with dark ripening.

10. "And what is bright kamma with bright ripening? Here someone produces a (kammic) bodily process not (bound up) with affliction, he produces a (kammic) verbal process not (bound up) with affliction, he produces a (kammic) mental process not (bound up) with affliction. By doing so, he reappears in a world without affliction. When that happens, unafflicting contacts touch him. Being touched by these, he feels unafflicting feelings entirely pleasant as in the case of the Subhakinha, the gods of Refulgent Glory. Thus a being's reappearance is due to a being: he reappears owing to the kammas he has performed. When he has reappeared, contacts touch him. Thus I say are beings heirs of their kammas. This is called bright kamma with bright ripening.

11. "What is dark-and-bright kamma with dark-and-bright ripening? Here someone produces a (kammic) bodily process both (bound up) with affliction and not (bound up) with affliction... verbal process... mental process both (bound up) with affliction and not (bound up) with affliction. By doing so, he reappears in a world both with and without affliction. When that happens, both afflicting and unafflicting contacts touch him. Being touched by these, he feels afflicting and unafflicting feelings with mingled pleasure and pain as in the case of human beings and some gods and some inhabitants of the states of deprivation. Thus a being's reappearance is due to a being: he reappears owing to the kammas he has performed. When he has reappeared, contacts touch him. Thus I say are beings heirs of their kammas. This is called dark-and-bright kamma with dark-and-bright ripening.

12. "What is neither-dark-nor-bright kamma with neither-dark-nor-bright ripening that leads to the exhaustion of kamma? As to these (three kinds of kamma), any volition in abandoning the kind of kamma that is dark with dark ripening, any volition in abandoning the kind of kamma that is bright with bright ripening, and any volition in abandoning the kind of kamma that is dark-and bright with dark-and-bright ripening: this is called neither-dark-nor-bright kamma with neither-dark-nor-bright ripening.

"These are the four kinds of kamma proclaimed by me after realization myself with direct knowledge."

13. When this was said, Punna, a son of the Koliyans and an ox-duty ascetic, said to the Blessed One: "Magnificent, Master Gotama! Magnificent, Master Gotama! The Dhamma has been made clear in many ways by Master Gotama as though he were turning upright what had been overthrown, revealing the hidden, showing the way to one who is lost, holding up a lamp in the darkness for those with eyesight to see forms

Just as @Wolfcub initially said:

And what counts is always what we make of what happens to us.

Karma just means action and their results. The dark and/or bright deeds of body, speech and mind now is what one better be concerned with, regardless of the past. Although in Buddhist thought there is action and its corresponding results - the 'doer' is considered absent in a ultimate sense - since causation is always seen as co-dependent origination. Without need of believe in a 'doer' - either past, present or future. Just multifaceted causes and their effects.

Very similiar to modern day genetics and epigenetics causing definite effects. Where the causes are too many, not under one's own control to be able to speak of only one guilty. Feeling guilt itself would be considered a dark deed. If it woudn't proceed to non-guilt, by doing the bright thing instead.

So far the philosophy which acted upon supposedly would bring wished for effects.

I think of life as a kaleidoscope - we are each a color and constantly moving. We can't see the big picture anymore then a knife can cut itself, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Not his words, but this the general concept I received from a Guru.

Attempting to view multiple lives can lead one to look at how is all of "this" happening - how is the universe happening? How is life happening?

Why does a hydrogen atom act like hydrogen and oxygen atoms behave like oxygen? Memory - the reality of karma. Karma creates who you are based from memory on every level of our existence. I believe it is the ego which assigns good/ bad labels to our karma.

Our body is a body of memory - you may not know your great, great, great ancestor but your body does and you may find a photo and learn you look just like this ancestor. Our eyes, for example, are loaded with memory - as such, they will not allow you to see things as they are, but you will see through the veil of their memory. This is what most call karma - the deep level of memory you carry.

Most will tend toward cycles built in their memory, karma, as it feels comfortable as something known, familiar. It is known in your karma, your past action existing in the now as a form of memory. If you want to get rid of this you must take an external view of yourself. It is a very long, painstaking process.

"it is a very long, painstaking process"..... sound familiar?

Sometimes I wonder if this path I'm on was intentional in my karma - not as was initially stated as payment for "bad" karma, or that I tortured anyone in my past. That isn't to say I didn't torture anyone either, I have no conscious memory of past lives myself. Maybe I was actually tortured and this is the ripple of pain I am releasing or trying to? I will likely never know in this existence and could also somehow argue both are true.

What has ME done to my life? It has stopped it on many levels - stripped me of distractions - forced me to be alone - look inside and take a hard witness perspective to me.

Maybe this path of "suffering" is really a blessing a disguise, designed to wake me up and get me onto the path of getting off the "dharma wheel" and into my true divine purpose or self. Then again - maybe I just was really good at torturing others in another life.

I am not against taking things in positive perspective also I am not trying to spread Vedic or Buddist philosophy but then we cannot ignore the fact that We are indeed suffering severly (like hell ) and I find it hard to believe that such severe disease like ME would have happened just randomly to Me , I have seen many people who have encountered severe Trauma and accidents in thier lives and
come out of it in max 1 yrs time or less
and what makes it worse is there is no root cause known, no treatment at all so its like U are bound to suffer.
Also I find it hard to believe that in such a vast and complex universe where things run so smoothly

some basics of vedic philosophies

Mind and Body are inherantly two different entities in nature although they are very closely interconnected when Alive.

Mind has a memory which vedic philosophy calls (chitta) or subconsious mind just like body has memory in brain and also cellular memory.

whatever action(karma) we do with a particular intention( good or bad) gets stored in Mind in form of impressions

Thoughts and mind are different , Mind is container and thoughts are content
Emission of thoughts is contineous process as long as mind is interconnected with body.

So this mind carries the karma impression,s in subpart of mind called as chitta (subconscious mind ) from one birth to another birth.
hence that is the reason why each human being is born with different privileges rich , poor , healthy , unhealthy and also experiences different life results in form of happiness and suffering and also diseases( physical and mental)

Our bodys senses (eyes , ears , tongue sex organ etc) and brain are very limited and so deceptive in nature so the experience which we get through our senses is very imperfect and limited
for e.g -
All different animals experience different experience with thier body senses and brains.
There is difference between the experience of Humans and animals

so with this limited knowledge we get from our senses it is impossible to reason and understand the understanding of Karma and its effects and also higher spiritual Truth.

Our understanding should be to accept the responsibility of our suffering as our own karmic fruits and try to come out of it by doing positive Karma.

Completing the middle statement which I missed
Also I find it hard to believe that in such a vast and complex universe where things run so smoothly , events occur randomly , If that happens world would not exsist and run so smoothly

Float

IMO !!!! And Im laughing at me thinking I am someone who has any idea on what karma is!!!!!...

Karma is what we do to ourselves, by letting the mind judge the personal (ourselves and others), and judge THE MOMENT. Is the moment acceptable to the minds preferences and expectations or not?

If its not acceptable, then the Karma is our own discomfort.

Sure, our present experience is a result of ancestral and personal paths (types of karma), but how we react to what they bring about, is what creates the current suffering and perpetuates it.

That's easy to say, less easy to live!!

Mouse girl

"Life is random. Get over it." That is a quote that a famous astro-physicist uses that I love. Life is random. Study science not religion and you will find much more comfort. Karma isn't real. Religion is made up. Look we all know this. The world doesn't revolve around you. It doesn't revolve around me. It doesn't revolve around any life form. We humans are just one mere, foolish life form on one random planet.

If you think that people get what they deserve, that's a pretty immoral way of looking at life and a very unkind way of looking a suffering. My guess is people buy into this stuff because we are brainwashed from a young age with superstitious nonsense and it cause great suffering and harm. Look if you believe that rapist and murderers have good karma because they get off from hurting people and get away with it and that women deserve to be raped and murdered and treated as less than human in general, well.......is that a belief you really want to buy into? Would you want to live in a world that rewards evil and punishes the innocent for some "reason"? Just think about it logically, it makes no sense.

There is no spiritual or philosophical reason for us getting sick anymore than there is some spiritual reason as to why you kill ants by walking or that you kill bacteria with anti biotics. Rain doesn't fall for you or me. It falls because of science of nature. It doesn't fall to ruin someone's wedding or to reward some farmers good deed. It just falls or it doesn't fall. Sickness is as natural as life and death. I think the worst thing is that we have been taught this superstitious nonsense (one being karma) that there is some god punishing us or some force punishing and rewarding us. It's honestly horrifically unethical and immoral to teach these kinds of things or to preach that everything happens for a reason. Really? Tell that to the ghosts of genocide. Tell it to the children sold into sex slavery. Let yourself off the hook hon. Say no to that kind of crap. It's incredibly freeing to let go of abusive beliefs and see the real beauty in the world and to appreciate what you have because it's random honey.

Emmarose47

I believe we all have a physical body part of being human and just like a car we break down ,malfunction ..nothing to do with karma it's to do with being human .
On the other hand I do have spots when I think what did i do to warrant getting this but then I see I'm trying to blame myself and that won't get me anywhere ..
Let's say it is to do with karma well then I live my life the best way I can being as morally right as I can be and being kind ....

Wolfcub

Let's say it is to do with karma well then I live my life the best way I can being as morally right as I can be and being kind ....
I feel the same way. Whatever happens to us, good or bad, those guidelines are important.

Wayne

I know....to our suffering selves down here in this density, and with the added inability to fully recall the state of Spirit -it can make no sense, as all that is happening is we are suffering.

Hi @Wolfcub -- Nice summary. -- One thing I might add, and something I believe and keep in mind a lot... Every single Soul residing on this planet has "earned the right" to be here, and to participate in the wide array of experiences available to us here. Even though we apparently all knew before arriving that life would present many difficult challenges, we took this on more than willingly, as it was a necessary step in furthering our spiritual unfoldment. -- Another way I look at things is we're all here to smooth out a few of our rough edges. Illnesses of all kinds tend to make us a little more humble, and open to the love and gentle promptings of Spirit.