• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What works for your anhedonia?

@PatJ, it is straight CBD. I use Jacob Hooy CBD Oil 5% (just because it is the only CBD oil that was found in our backward country).

As for the dosage, I must say that I do not take it daily, because already after the second or third intake, my sleep starts to worsen greatly and digestion problems worsen. That's why I take it on Saturdays when my anhedonia is the worst. I take only one drop, and this allows me to again enjoy listening to music, watching TV shows, and most surprisingly - walking! Sometimes this is not enough, then I take another drop on Sunday.

When I first started taking CBD oil, I felt the effect on the third day.

Last edited by a moderator:
@PatJ, ah, forgot to say! There is one more thing that not only softens my anhedonia, but also improves my well-being overall. On Sundays, I swim in the pool and it really supports me. Once a year, the pool is closed for maintenance for a month, and this is a difficult month for me, because my problems, especially brain fog and depression, are getting worse.

I loved swimming after one lesson with a coach. This merciless woman drove me back and forth, not giving a minute of rest! I do not tolerate physical activity, but that day after an exhausting workout, I felt great! I was very surprised, and since then 1-2 times a week I visit the pool.

I must also say that I swim only until noon, because in the afternoon I cannot tolerate any physical activity at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
There is one more thing that not only softens my anhedonia, but also improves my well-being overall. On Sundays, I swim in the pool and it really supports me.
I think swimming is a kind of pacing, because very different muscles are used then. I also had good effects from swimming. Once before I got uncomfortable ill I felt for some reason (maybe it was a delayed effect of an antibiotic) during a summer very squeezed inside, and swimming every second day helped quite well.
I must also say that I swim only until noon, because in the afternoon I cannot tolerate any physical activity at all.
For a while (when disabled) I have drunken beer with great an effect, but it was only possible a) when having nothing eaten, and b) not far after noon. It also depended on the season, I could do it only when the days grew shorter, whereas in spring it was a catastrophy.

HABS93

I find CBD doesn't do anything. But this could be because I smoked weed everyday for years. Even went to shatter which is 90% THC.
As far as feeling things I have no idea. Every once in awhile at work I find Abit of a groove and start really feeling decent but then fades away or turns into nauseanous . Light moderate excercise is probably the best bet.
I

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Go on a pleasure fast. No highly pleasurable things for a week: desserts, orgasms, music, nicotine. Hugs are ok. Lack of stimulation allows the body to reset to the lower level. Meditation also helps to recharge.

HABS93

This Adhedonia...may stem from Sickness Behavior. I'd recommend THC.
Weed use to make my neruological symptom's worse. They still do if it's a bong hit. So alittle pipe hit doesn't do that but it has to be at night because my PEM happens within five minutes of standing so I can only be alone and watch TV to get some joy.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I loved swimming after one lesson with a coach. This merciless woman drove me back and forth, not giving a minute of rest! I do not tolerate physical activity, but that day after an exhausting workout, I felt great! I was very surprised, and since then 1-2 times a week I visit the pool.

Some people with ME/CFS find they can exercise in a pool because it increases their blood pressure.

Lack of stimulation allows the body to reset to the lower level.

I've tried that. It doesn't work for me.

There are other causes of anhedonia. For me I think it's a combination of low blood pressure, inflammation, and sometimes low magnesium and/or potassium which both really influence my mood when they're low. Here is another possibility as well: Are All the “Feel-Good” Pathways Blocked in Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

I'd recommend THC

I've tried CBD alone, and a mix of THC and CBD. It's great for sleep, which I use it for occasionally, but I start feeling worse overall after using it for more than a few days.

When I first used the THC:CBD mix I felt some mild happy feelings for about an hour but it never happened again with any future doses, even after long breaks.

Jackb23

I did not notice much from my short-term tests with sarcosine (I take NAC 600 mg daily all the time anyway), but reading that Reddit article, it seems that you have to give sarcosine a few weeks for the anhedonia benefits to manifest.

So I think I will definitely try sarcosine + NAC again, but for a longer period.

@Hip hope all is well.
How often did you take it? I have been trying to find the half life of sarcosine and I can’t find it anywhere, nor can I find any studies saying they used B.I.D. Or T.I.D. which would also hint at a shorter half life.

Reason I ask is because the other NMDA co-agonist I want to try has a half life of 40+. If I run into problems and have an adverse reaction, I would much rather count the hands of a clock than the days of a calendar.

HABS93

This Adhedonia...may stem from Sickness Behavior. I'd recommend THC.
Weird to read.comments from awhile ago. Sometimes I read mine and go oh that was me . I actually have a full page of information on sickness behavior. The inflammation response induce sickness behavior from the cytokines being released. Problem is inflammation usually means bacteria or viral and rarely chemical. TNF-tumor (might of slept it wrong) has shown to help reduce this. I found this out from sarcoidosis itself as well as any disease that causes Chronic inflammation. I don't know if this helps anyone on the page but it's information I have gathered.
** Tnf -alpha . Works for this types.of inflammation but with a con of the benefits of tnf itself . Meaning you could get Lymphoma because of such

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I mentioned using DMG the other day on this Thread. It calms me whereas TMG has the opposite effect. I was talking about it's use by a lot of people with autistic children. If you read the thread she also mentioned schizophrenia so I did a search on DMG and that and found this SITE where they were talking about the differences between that and other treatments including Sarcosine.

Seeing this discussion and the mention of Sarcosine made me do a search again just now and I found this SITE where someone is saying:

Homocysteine is higher than average in brains that have schizophrenia. TMG converts homocysteine to SAMe, turning into DMG (dimethylglycine) in the process, and then DMG is turned into sarcosine in the liver (and after that sarcosine gets turned into glycine in the liver.)

Not sure exactly what it's all about. I just know I cannot take TMG, I think there is overlap between autism and ME and you guys are discussing this so just thought I'd post in case it is helpful to someone.

Maybe the safest way to get sarcosine would be to take DMG??? @Jackb23 (maybe??)