• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What Vitamin C product is good?

amaru7

Hi,

I trust Dr. Berg, he recommended against ascorbic acid, see his YouTube channel, it's great, if you didn't already.

In this video he recommends buffered C, with bioflavonoids.
(from minute 6)

He mentions Calcium ascorbate, but I've read multiple occasion that we are already on too much calcium in the normal western diet.

What is your option on the product?
https://www.iherb.com/pr/Source-Naturals-Magnesium-Ascorbate-1000-mg-120-Tablets/38660

I dont consider liposomal, because finished product is too expensive and self made to complicated and messy.

pamojja

I use plain ascorbic acid. About 24g per day for 10 years. And had many benefits, the main reversal of a walking-disability from PAD (due a 80% stenosis at my abdominal aorta bifurcation), works also great as antihistamine during rhinitis season. At such high doses any tablets of capsules I would strongly dis-advise, since one would get too many binders and fillers in the long run, which wouldn't be that healthy at such doses.

Also liposomal I consider meanwhile almost a scam (considering it's ridiculous higher price), since it only showed 10 times better benefits with infections (in Dr. Levy's clinical experience), but not with any other conditions. Also an other study by Dr. Levy came out just recently, which showed a single 5 g dose of sodium ascorbate compared to a 5 g dose of liposomal had the same AUC in serum, but only 150% higher intercellular AUC of vitamin C (in white blood cells).

Get my Mg, K, Na and bioflavonoids more reasonable priced in other products.

PS: To get cheap ascorbates, just mix ascorbic acid with Sodium bicarbonate or Potassium bicarbonate in a glass of water. It will fizzle a bid and turn into Sodium ascorbate or Potassium ascorbate.

BTW, there is no study whatsoever that the molecule in 'synthetic' ascorbic acid is different in any way to 'natural' ascorbic acid. And this Dr. is simply spreading a myth without any scientific supports when he says ascorbic acid would cause deficiencies in bioflavonoids.

Last edited:

iwillwin1day

I use plain ascorbic acid. About 24g per day for 10 years. And had many benefits, the main reversal of a walking-disability from PAD (due a 80% stenosis at my abdominal aorta bifurcation), works also great as antihistamine during rhinitis season. At such high doses any tablets of capsules I would strongly dis-advise, since one would get too many binders and fillers in the long run, which wouldn't be that healthy at such doses.

Also liposomal I consider meanwhile almost a scam (considering it's ridiculous higher price), since it only showed 10 times better benefits with infections (in Dr. Levy's clinical experience), but not with any other conditions. Also an other study by Dr. Levy came out just recently, which showed a single 5 g dose of sodium ascorbate compared to a 5 g dose of liposomal had the same AUC in serum, but only 150% higher intercellular AUC of vitamin C (in white blood cells).

Get my Mg, K, Na and bioflavonoids more reasonable priced in other products.

PS: To get cheap ascorbates, just mix ascorbic acid with Sodium bicarbonate or Potassium bicarbonate in a glass of water. It will fizzle a bid and turn into Sodium ascorbate or Potassium ascorbate.

BTW, there is no study whatsoever that the molecule in 'synthetic' ascorbic acid is different in any way to 'natural' ascorbic acid. And this Dr. is simply spreading a myth without any scientific supports when he says ascorbic acid would cause deficiencies in bioflavonoids.
Do you still take ascorbic acid 24 gram per day? I have seen many people saying vitamin c have no benefit for ME CFS.

pamojja

Yes, though I do for so many health issues other than ME/CFS. Just 3 days ago the rhinitis season hid me really hard, where I have to take even up to double that amount, for remaining at ease.

Between the high dose nutrients, lifestyle interventions, my only root-canal extracted and Mg-sulfate IVs since end of 2017, along with LDN and strict pacing - to mention a few confounders - haven't experienced any real PEM since.