• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What to do while waiting for disability?

Davsey27

Hello everyone hope you are doing well

I am here in arizona staying in BL land in Southern Arizona. I was denied round one of Social Security in Atlanta
and awaiting for an appeal that i filed myself. A friend created a Chronic Fatigue Syndrome timeline and although a Doc gave me a script for Acyclovir, a CFS Diagnoses was denied.

I advocated for myself last time and mentioned that i take Klonopin as well as other meds
Under the scope of an Anxiety diagnosis,hoping to qualify under a mental health umbrella.
Its nice to be away from alot of artificial lights and noise pollution

Seems to help some.Lots of sunlight and grounding in the desert.Still about the same energy wise but feel less wired.Knowing it can take months i wonder what one can do for finances. I am attempting to find a tolerable job with CFS and then seeing that this could disqualify one.My CFS is about a 4/10 on the severity scale. My parents wire me a couple hundred every couple weeks and i am grateful for this but i don't want to be a burden as i am 34.They mention they can't do this much longer though i feel like i can function somewhat only in low population areas.

Appreciate any advice

Thank You

David

Last edited:

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
It was a big mistake to file your own appeal. Having an attorney before the administrative judge conference raises the odds of winning by a large amount. If I were you I would contact an attorney and discuss whether or not he can help you at this point.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
An attorney is needed because if you lose the appeal then the only way to move forward is by suing SSA in federal court. This is what disability attorneys do.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I went through this process myself. I know when you are starting the prospect of handing over about a years worth of income to an attorney is discouraging. The advice I received was that it is ok to handle the initial filings up to the administrative law judge hearing yourself but after the second denial you much hire a lawyer for the ALJ. It raises your chances tremendously. However, I think that anyone handling the initial part yourself should invest the $300 and get some http://disabilitykey.com/consulting.htm consulting to make sure you are doing it right. This is a best of both worlds approach. You have someone looking on and, if you win, get to keep the money yourself. I wish I could have advised you this earlier.

I didn't use the key approach and my SSD process took four years and one appeal before they finally relented and approved me. You are fighting a machine that wants to find a reason to disqualify your benefits.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Many of the homeless people I've met and many in public housing who are very poor have confessed to me that they applied for disability and were unfairly denied. I believe them. This is what one is up against.

Davsey27

I went through this process myself. I know when you are starting the prospect of handing over about a years worth of income to an attorney is discouraging. The advice I received was that it is ok to handle the initial filings up to the administrative law judge hearing yourself but after the second denial you much hire a lawyer for the ALJ. It raises your chances tremendously. However, I think that anyone handling the initial part yourself should invest the $300 and get some http://disabilitykey.com/consulting.htm consulting to make sure you are doing it right. This is a best of both worlds approach. You have someone looking on and, if you win, get to keep the money yourself. I wish I could have advised you this earlier.

I didn't use the key approach and my SSD process took four years and one appeal before they finally relented and approved me. You are fighting a machine that wants to find a reason to disqualify your benefits.

Thank you mr gbells

I don't have 300 in savings

Would you recommend contacting an attorney in a different state being that I drove over 30 hours out here from Atlanta to arizona to be closer to nature?

Appreciate it mr gbells

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Thank you mr gbells

I don't have 300 in savings

Would you recommend contacting an attorney in a different state being that I drove over 30 hours out here from Atlanta to arizona to be closer to nature?

Appreciate it mr gbells

She has ebooks you can read for $10. At least read that.

The ALJ hearing is wherever you live. When you appeal it goes back to the same judge. So if your ALJ was in Atlanta then I imagine your attorney should be in Atlanta so he can attend the hearing. That is a question you should ask the Attorney. If you lose the appeal then it might not matter because provided the attorney agrees to file suit for you in federal court he should be able to do that where you are currently living (AZ). Also, the more liberal states have better judges that are more disposed to granting benefits.