• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What to do when a fevers coming on

overtheedge

Now i know lots of us with ME are unusually susceptible to illnesses such as fevers/colds, for me they come once every few months and set me back a ways energy wise, anytime someone in the house is sick i get it, only its worse for me than it is for everyone else.

What do you all do to either prevent getting sick or to soften the blow of an illness that has already started working its evil on you?

I've heard a number of people mention Vitamin C in higher than usual doses, does that work for anyone.

For my part I'll say that many of the times I've become ill within the past few years have been due to meat going bad, someone leaves the food out too long before we start eating and what is indigestion to the rest is sickness for me.

The fridge went bad once and didn't keep the food cold enough and so any meat kept in there overnight went bad, usually wouldn't taste abnormal either but would get me sick nonetheless. The mold growing on meat that had been cooked the day before tipped me off but not before two or three fevers

Many of the times I've been thawing meat in water and water leaked into the bag I've developed a fever shortly after, at least three times fevers one month apart, maybe a 1/3rd chance of the water or something that was in the container that thawed the water would cause an illness if it leaked into the bag, even when I would clean the container thoroughly before filling it with water it still happened

They probly sound like nothing when explained this way but when you don't know which of the dozens of things you do is causing you to have fevers every month it can be really scary. Many of these times the gut symptoms were minimal and I might not have known it was coming from food if food type things being eliminated from my habits hadn't brought about a reduction in the frequency of illnesses i get

I've learned to be really quick to throw anything away that is suspect.
A year or so ago something I got from the store was contaminated but didn't have any abnormal taste to it, slight gut symptoms and the way I got sick again in the same exact way immediately after I got back to being well while everyone I live with who could have brought me any illness was out of town tipped me off, I probly should have thrown all the foods i had eaten in the day or two before getting sick away to prevent the reinfection that occurred, live n learn

All the best

Wolfcub

Yes I think we are more susceptible to things that before we had ME/CFS we could have shaken off....or that people who don't have this illness, could shake off easily.

We become more sensitive to things as the immune system is unusual. I know there are many things I could do before, that would upset my body now.

For a fever....I can't really recommend anything, as what would have helped me before, now either doesn't help, or brings on an exacerbation of symptoms! And we are all so different too which means one thing that works for someone may not help someone else. Whenever I became unwell with a cold. flu, fever etc I used to immediately take raw garlic, Echinacea, and vitamin C with a B supplement also. But now, all those things either don't work or make me worse!!

I hope you do get some helpful suggestions though. Take care and best wishes.

LINE

Yes, food can be a big hazard. I wash any raw fruit or vegetable with a santizing solution, wash hands before eating, sanitize cutting boards, knives, foods cooking to safe temperature, etc. Make sure you drink good water since it can be medium for pathogens.

Pulsed Vitamin C (taking smaller doses throughout the day), Vitamins A & D, B vitamins.

Natural antibiotics which include raw garlic (smashed), black seed, coconut oil (or caprylic acid or monolauric acid which comes from coconut oil), lemongrass.

Chai tea has a multitude of natural antibiotics including black tea, cinnamon, cardamom etc, I use without milk and sugar. Curry blends (Sharwood) has a plethora of antibiotic spices including black pepper, turmeric etc. I have a few others, let me know if you want those.

LINE

It is important to use broad spectrum approaches, e.g. use more than one substance. It is difficult to say which substance may kill an organism, so you are improving your odds by the broad spectrum approach. I continue to take them even after there may have been a reduction in symptoms.

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
Prevention for me.

Physical

Low carb, adequate protein, high fat diet of organic, grass-fed, and as cleanly sourced food as I can manage. Protein, fat, and carb ratios according to Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's "Golden Ratios". Food choices for highest nutrient value and lowest symptom-causing.

A long list of supplements.

Rebounding, gently, to circulate lymph, and other exercises to improve strength, flexibility, endurance, and which give me joy and do not wear me out.

Try to balance rest and exertion.

Using rest as a means of restoration as much as I am able.

Mind/Affections/Interactions
Doing things which feed my soul and give me joy.

Try to balance being alone doing restorative things, with connecting with others (the latter is helpful, but very often wearing).

Putting love and joy into those endeavors and relations.

Read for greater knowledge of nutrition, biochemistry, and how symptoms can be reversed.

Read for joy and inspiration.

Music, prayer, worship.

If an infection hits:

Colloidal silver
Golden Seal
Iodine
Vitamin A and D

Rest, rest, rest, gentle movement, and drink bone-marrow broth with egg yolks.

Avoid all enervating efforts, as much as possible, and contain energy for constructive rest and healing.

The list sounds easy when I type it, but making this real requires much conscious, constructive attention.
:)

ljimbo423

For a fever....I can't really recommend anything, as what would have helped me before, now either doesn't help, or brings on an exacerbation of symptoms!

And we are all so different too which means one thing that works for someone may not help someone else. Whenever I became unwell with a cold. flu, fever etc I used to immediately take raw garlic, Echinacea, and vitamin C with a B supplement also. But now, all those things either don't work or make me worse!!

I had the same problem, when I would get sick with what felt like a cold or a flu. I would start taking garlic, echinacea, astragalus etc, to boost my immune system but they made me worse.

It took me many years to learn that my immune system was already too high and taking the herbs made my flu-like flares worse and last longer. Once I learned that, instead of boosting my immune system with herbs and immune stimulants when a would get a flu-like flare.

I actually started cutting back on the herbs or supplements I was already taking to treat gut dysbiosis. Treating gut dysbiosis would raise the level of lipopolysaccharides (LPS) in my blood from killing off bad bacteria in my gut. Cutting back on these herbs has reduced my flu-like flares from 7-10 days to never more than 2 now!

My feeling is these flu-like flares I get are caused by LPS from my gut. Which are highly toxic and very small amounts cause an immune reaction. Several studies have shown higher levels of LPS in ME/CFS patients.

The increase in these LPS in my blood and subsequent immune stimulation from them, I think, are triggering the sensitized microglia(immune cells) in my brain and causing inflammation. This inflammation is causing a sickness response in my brain.

Which is the same sickness response one gets with a cold or a flu. Hence the very same or similar symptoms. This is what ME/CFS researcher Jarred Younger believes is causing ME/CFS symptoms-low grade brain inflammation, triggering the sickness response from activated, sensitized microglia in the brain.

Last edited:

Wolfcub

I wish I could "like" a post more than once @ljimbo423 !!

This is I imagine, highly useful information. Thank you.

I am still learning....so forgive me for any naivety....but how does one go about lowering those LPS's?

Celandine

The best supplement I've found--for use when you feel a cold/flu/sore throat coming on, particularly--is andrographis. I use the capsules made by Pukka and keep taking for a few days.