• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What supps does everyone take?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Be careful if you take aspirin regularly. If you develop bleeding from something like diverticulitis, doctors may take you off of it suddenly but that significantly increases your risk of stroke which is what I think may have happened with my mom.

Plus, the cardiologist said that aspirin isn't really a blood thinner but an anti-inflammatory. (Don't quote me, I'm just repeating what he said when I asked if there were alternatives.)

Something better to try might be garlic or low dose vitamin E. I think those actually do thin the blood. (Again, don't quote me. I'm not one of the bio-techy brainy people here at PR.)

Asprin as a blood thinner is i guess the laymans terms but it stops platelets aggregation ie playelets becoming sticky, which could form clotts??

Daily:

Ubiquinol 300mg
Acetyl L Carnitine 500mg
NA-R-ALA 125mg
NMN 500mg
B- Complex
Fish oil
vitamin D 2000ui
whey isolate* important for me
creatine 5g
D ribose 1x a day with protein

As needed:
Tiger balm for topical relief
CBD Flower for pain relief
Red Reishi pain/head
uridine (refreshes/clears brain fog)
melatonin(1.5mcg)

Trying out:

Equilibrant (widespread itchiness has been common, but also feel slightly better on average within an hour of taking doses which doesn't make much sense to me).
L-Glutamine 5g (initially noticed an uptick in energy, subsequent doses have not)

Booble

I don't take any but I do try to eat fruits and vegetables daily.

If I were to take any it would be Vit D (to reduce risks related to COVID-19) and magnesium to reduce migraines and heart palps/murmur.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Daily:

Ubiquinol 300mg
Acetyl L Carnitine 500mg
NA-R-ALA 125mg
NMN 500mg
B- Complex
Fish oil
vitamin D 2000ui
whey isolate* important for me
creatine 5g
D ribose 1x a day with protein

As needed:
Tiger balm for topical relief
CBD Flower for pain relief
Red Reishi pain/head
uridine (refreshes/clears brain fog)
melatonin(1.5mcg)

Trying out:

Equilibrant (widespread itchiness has been common, but also feel slightly better on average within an hour of taking doses which doesn't make much sense to me).
L-Glutamine 5g (initially noticed an uptick in energy, subsequent doses have not)
This sounds very expensive?

Booble

I'm silently hoping that those of you doing a lot of supplements have good doctors by your side. That's a lot of stuff to be putting in your body. Not judging, just worried. Because, that's what I do.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I wish i knew why it somewhat helps my cognitive function.

Carnitine is downregulated when you eat red meat too frequently (more than 1-2 servings per week) which makes it addictive. Red meat is bad for the planet because it worsens greenhouse gases (methane). Eating less red meat lowers cytokines and improves gut bacteria. I suggest decreasing this if you eat over the recommended amount and using L-carnitine or acetyl-carnitine to wean off it.

Alvin2

Carnitine is downregulated when you eat red meat too frequently (more than 1-2 servings per week) which makes it addictive. Red meat is bad for the planet because it worsens greenhouse gases (methane). Eating less red meat lowers cytokines and improves gut bacteria. I suggest decreasing this if you eat over the recommended amount and using L-carnitine or acetyl-carnitine to wean off it.
I tried Carnitine becase its cheaper, had no discernible effect on me. Needs to be acetyl carnitine.
For the daily stuff it's roughly $60/month with the bulk of that coming from ubiquinol. The difference for me is large enough to warrant the cost. I rarely use the as needed stuff, so probably shouldn't have even included them.
Thats not bad, must be location dependent though becasue here what you are taking would cost more than double what you are paying.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I tried Carnitine becase its cheaper, had no discernible effect on me. Needs to be acetyl carnitine.

That makes sense because only acetyl carnitine passes through the blood brain barrier. You can use it to wean off meat. I'm just emphasizing the conversion decrease from overconsumption. It takes about two days to get the severe cravings down and two weeks to fully stop them. Most Americans eat way too much red meat due to all the fast food. The cytokine lowering effect actually helps reduce covid severity (inflammation).

Last edited:

Alvin2

That makes sense because only acetyl carnitine passes through the blood brain barrier. You can use it to wean off meat. I'm just emphasizing the conversion decrease from overconsumption. It takes about two days to get the severe cravings down and two weeks to fully stop them. Most Americans eat way too much red meat due to all the fast food. The cytokine lowering effect actually helps reduce covid severity (inflammation).
I've done virtually all the diets in my time, none of them helped the ME.

Booble

>>>Thats not bad, must be location dependent though becasue here what you are taking would cost more than double what you are paying.<<<

Triple or quadruple that cost in my area!

heapsreal

I'm silently hoping that those of you doing a lot of supplements have good doctors by your side. That's a lot of stuff to be putting in your body. Not judging, just worried. Because, that's what I do.

Good point but i dont think many doctors would know much about supplements. The good thing is most supplements are found in food and added stresses in ones life like a chronic illness can use up certain nutrients quicker than usual. Some supps can be helpful, some supps probably just give people hope ie they are trying to help themselves and not just idle away i guess.

I see your point but most are safe and directions on supplements can help avoid certain issues and some medications like certain antibiotics, the label will say not to take with mineral supplements like calcium within 4 hrs of each other etc. Theres no cure in supps but help some and give people hope.

heapsreal

Is it the red meat in fast food or the bun its on and the big serve of fries and a coke. Full of refined carbohydrates, sugar and man made fats.
Most studies on diet are correlation studies. All it really does is to give scientists an area to look deeper into.

Alot of people do well on low carb high meat based diets and others do well on vegetarian type diets. The common denominator is both diets eat food that isnt refined into dust. If it doesnt come out of a packet, runs around on the ground, comes off a tree or out of the ground, its probably ok and better than fast food man made fats and sugars.

People should try several diet styles and use what they feel best on.